Avoid Corsair Hydro coolers for now - bad batches.

Just installed my H60 a couple of days ago and it's near silent. I haven't compared the cooling performance but the noise levels certainly doesn't warrant complaint.

Has this issue been taken care of yet? Also was the system only making noise if the rad was mounted below the block?

I currently have the stock heatsink on my 2500k. Would it be good to pick this up now, or are the issues still not fixed?

I think it's safe to say that the bad batch has probably been pushed through by now.

got a h60 a month or so ago and just started getting a strange noise from it. it only happens every so often and doesn't seem to last very long, but i suspect it will get worse over time. i too got the advice from tech support to lay my case on it's side and tap the thing...

Last edited:
My H100 had a weird whirring noise a couple of months ago but I shut down the machine and restarted it, never heard that noise again.

My H100 had a weird whirring noise a couple of months ago but I shut down the machine and restarted it, never heard that noise again.

Occasionally an air bubble will form over the impeller, and you'll hear a noise like this. Tilting the case, shutting the power off for a minute or so, or tapping the block/pump unit can all alleviate this by pushing the air bubble back into the loop where it'll find a less noisy home.

Just bought this H80, it performs great but it also exhibits the noise. Gonna have to RMA it next week, the noise is annoying, can't believe Corsair fucked up because my H50 worked great.

installed a h100 tonight and have been very pleased with the results and acoustics.

Oh I had an H80 and sold it. Nice cooler. But ...... when I found out that Corsair uses regular water and engine coolant I decided that my entire multi thousand dollar rig was not worth a leaks destruction regardless of promised warranty.

I've had a H50 running 22 months straight. Cooling is slightly under top air coolers, but it's working fine.

After the results I got from my H80 I'll be avoiding Corsair H2O coolers for good. My H80 runs hotter than a Noctua NH-D14 & that's just sad news.

a good aftermarket heatsink and fan would do better than an Hydro system from Corsair...dont get me wrong.. I like corsair.. but a new good hsf is as quiet as a hydro from corsair + it might even be cooler than the hydro... my 2cents

a good aftermarket heatsink and fan would do better than an Hydro system from Corsair...dont get me wrong.. I like corsair.. but a new good hsf is as quiet as a hydro from corsair + it might even be cooler than the hydro... my 2cents

Depends on what you're cooling...a Sandy or Ivy 1155 CPU will be fine and get good temps on a lone 120mm radiator setup. A 130-150W LGA2011 will get awful temps.

Anyone wanna send me or sell me their "diode mod"? I'm interested to see if it will lower the pump noise of my H100 (which is not very loud but I believe it can be more silent).

Depends on what you're cooling...a Sandy or Ivy 1155 CPU will be fine and get good temps on a lone 120mm radiator setup. A 130-150W LGA2011 will get awful temps.

U sure? H100 has my i7 920(130w) c0 running at 4ghz with nice temps.

I was speaking of any single 120mm rad setup being combined with a >130W CPU, not 240mm rads. ;)

My H50 idles my I7 920 at 37c and at full load 60c. Thats a box stock H50. No aftermarket fan or push/pull config or any shrouds.

Anyone wanna send me or sell me their "diode mod"? I'm interested to see if it will lower the pump noise of my H100 (which is not very loud but I believe it can be more silent).

Get 1 of these - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036268&filterName=Type&filterValue=Diodes - & 1 each of these male & female connectors (with the pins) - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g4/...s-Connectors_Pins-4-Pin_Connectors-Page1.html - & your wire stripper/crimper, molex pin puller, some heat shrink, & your Digital Multi Meter to check the polarity of the diode. Plug the diode into the yellow 12VDC wire of the molex connector you're going to use to power the cooler & use the DMM to find out which way the unplugged in diode lead reads about 11.8-11.9 VDC while measuring between the diode end & black wire next to the yellow wire. Fold the wire ends of the diode over & crimp them into 1 male (goes to the yellow wire) & 1 female ( goes to the new h100 molex plug). Plug the (now covered in heat shrink) diode into a male & female connector outer most holes (match it up with h100 molex plug). Use the molex puller to remove the wire closest to the empty holes of the h100 molex plug & then plug that male pin in new molex plug next to the diode (so it lines up with the black wire next to the yellow wire) & you're done. Or you can leave the wire in the h100 molex plug & crimp pins on a new small piece of wire (matching the overall length of the diode) & plug that new wire in next to the diode. It took me longer to type this than the mod will take you. ;)

Last edited:

No the NH-D14 was quieter & cooler running than the H80. Plus I put Thermal Right FDB 2k rpm fans on in place of the noisier originals. Plus futting this thing in was a pain in the ass & I made an aluminum duct going from an empty front 5 !/2" bay to the h80 lower fan so no hot case air was being sucked into it. What a waste of time & effort to only get higher temps than the air cooler I had on already. Well I'll live & learn & be more skeptical of reviews unless they're from end users.

My H50 cools my [email protected] quite nicely.
I have 2 fans in push/pull config and the temps never go above 70C

In fact, I like my H50 so much I am trying to figure out a way to use it with my 3930k in the LGA2011 socket.
Does anyone have experience with this??

After two weeks now my H100 has started to make the noise. Will any fan controller work? How many watts does the pump pull?

planning on getting an H100 for my 3770K; hope it's a good batch. If not, this will be the first time ever that corsair has failed me.

got my H100 about three weeks ago from microcenter. worked great until i noticed the weird noise. found a way to connect the molex to a mobo header using some old cables. it looks like the sound is gone now. still testing the new build. not sure if i'm gonna keep the H100.

I have been on the fence between Corsair H100 and Antec 920... but it seems these days I read so many bad things. Corsair's making the knocking sound, Antec's bad CS if it fails, etc, etc. Maybe I will stick with air until I get around to making my own loop :(

Had my H100 for almost 2 months now, haven't noticed anything wrong at this point.

My H100 is chugging along perfectly. My gpu fan is the loudest thing in my case, the crappy Corsair 200mm front case fan in my 650D case is second. Cannot hear the pump on the H100 at all....and it's been in use for two months.

Ugh, mine has just started making the grinding noise after 6 months of use. Is Corsair offering advance replacements (with temporary credit card charge or something of the like)?

My H50 and my H70 are running flawlessly. Im looking forward to get the H80 and H100 to replace the 2.

I got the H50 shortly after release and its always done the same thing: Run quietly, and present me with consistently low temps.

I've found that if you mount any closed loop cooler with the hoses at the top of the rad, you'll get some noise. If its mounted horizontally, put a spacer at the end with the hoses so they are abit lower then the rest of the rad. The air in the loop is going to settle at the highest point. If the highest point is where your hoses are, the pump is going to suck air. Its that simple.

You reduce the voltage, you reduce the flow. You reduce flow and you reduce the vortex at the inlet. The reduced vortex will make it less likely to suck air.

The pump in that video, sounds like a pump with bubbles to me.

Except Corsair's response to the complaint seems to suggest a different issue:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1236923/...x-official-corsair-response/240#post_17333576

Okay quick update guys - we've tracked down the root cause, it's a tolerance issue in the ceramic bearing around the pump shaft. It affects only a small number of units, but we've immediately tightened the screening process for these components so we can assure this won't happen any longer in production.

Once we have the new production units in-house, I'll post a method for those of you who want them to RMA your unit for them.

Back