AVG Virus Scan (Free Version) doesnt auto protect!

BurntToast

2[H]4U
I have AVG. I have it because the loading time of windows is nothing now. Norton would make the load time 1-2 mins longer.

Any ways, I have the free version of avg. it has been running just fine for a few months now. every now and then when I run it avg detects a virus and takes care of it. but the weird thing is that I have never received a warning while opening up email, internet sites or what ever. even when downloading this text file I receive no virus notification.
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

So... does the free version auto protect my system. If not then what version of avg does?

AVG works fine here. you might check your AVG control center and look under the tabs and make sure what you need on is checked.

I am also running AVG...

When I went to right click to scan the file as soon as I right clicked mind you, it popped up with a box saying that the file was infected and to run the AVG Virus scanner in order to repair/remove it. After hitting OK I got a BSOD and a physical memory dump and I had to turn my computer off and then back on again. Maybe a bug, I don't know.

I went ahead and just scanned my downloads folder and it picked it up and removed it without a hitch. I just cleaned out the Virus Vault and it's now totally removed from my system.

Also... You can sometimes set an option in your download manager to scan the files after they are downloaded.

For a free Virus scanner it works allright.

And as a side note... I ditched Norton because it was bloat ware. It was ridiculous how slow it made my system boot and how much more memory it took up. It hindered the performance of my computer for sure. I loved the interface etc. but it's gotten too bloated and slow.

Back