Average Teen Texts 3339 Times Per Month?

If I text, I use proper spelling.

However with my phone (Motorola F3), it's easier to call people than to reply to text messages.

It all depends on the dictionary linked to the speech-to-text engine. I assume they use some kind of dual entry glossary with the phonetic word or learned voice pattern, and the actual spelling to use. Replace the entry for "great" with "gr8" and there you go. Even better, add a third txt entry, so the engine can write in either correct English when on the computer, or txt English when on the phone.

And I realize I misread your post, thought it was a typo and you wrote "speech text."

Text to speech barely works, and mostly for English, so speech recognition is still many years away and not for phone CPUs.
Same thing as visual shape recognition. Works fine in a human brain, not so well in a CPU.

I'm one of the rare 19yr olds that don't have a cellphone. I find it hilarious when I see people walking around at college talking on their cellphones or texting. It's almost like their doing it so that they can feel busy and think they're important.

I'm one of the rare 19yr olds that don't have a cellphone. I find it hilarious when I see people walking around at college talking on their cellphones or texting. It's almost like their doing it so that they can feel busy and think they're important.

Nail on head. Right here.

Give this man a lifetime subscription to GenMay!

Why teenagers require a mobile phone is beyond me.

Because it is cheaper than having a house phone. Many parents already have an unlimited plan for their cell phones and adding their kids is only $5 a month. Many of them also don't have a house phone at all.

My texts:

texts.jpg

This is why I got my Touch Pro 2. An awesome physical keyboard that makes texting super easy.

I have no problem with texting as long as proper spelling and grammar are used at all times.

With all these text messages, it's a huge time waster. One study reports texting while driving likely caused more than 16,000 road fatalities between 2002 and 2007, so that's another down side. Then there's the monthly bill. If you don't want to get nailed on overages, the teen is going to have to have unlimited voice and text, throw in data and we're talking about a $1000/year.

Teenagers need mobile phones to be cool *waves hand in Verizon jedi-mind trick*

I'm 25 and I still much prefer to talk to friends/family in person if possible. A lot of our communication is non-verbal so a lot of the meaning is lost through text/voice. It's hard enough figuring out what a woman means at all, let alone through texting :p

This is exactly why I don't even own a cell phone. One of my coworkers is one of these texting fiends and the goddamn phone is going off every 10 minutes! I enjoy the fact I can't be reached at any given moment all day long. By the way I am 21.

Texting is so much easier then having to call someone, and then later after things change call again.

Texting allows a dynamic form of conversation amongst many people, it's a network, and it's awesome. But 100 or so a day!? Come on, there's no effin' way the "average" teenager is sending that many.

Yeah, because taking an hour to have a conversation that would have taken 2 minutes on a call is really a WHOLE lot easier.

This is exactly why I don't even own a cell phone. One of my coworkers is one of these texting fiends and the goddamn phone is going off every 10 minutes! I enjoy the fact I can't be reached at any given moment all day long. By the way I am 21.

I don't own a cell phone either and people look at me like I am strange when I tell them I don't have one. The day I get a cell phone is the day they cost no more than a landline, which won't be anytime soon.

wow i'd be lucky to text 2-3 times a day on average... plenty of days go by without a single text..

I don't own a cell phone either and people look at me like I am strange when I tell them I don't have one. The day I get a cell phone is the day they cost no more than a landline, which won't be anytime soon.

Cell phones are cheaper than landline.. by far. The utility of being able to take it with you is obviously worth it.

All the people who are sitting there pounding away "LOOK AT ME IM E-ANTISOCIAL, AREN'T I AWESOME".. Seriously.. what the hell?

I can understand not being super social, but acting like people who are social have issues with them..........then again I guess I shouldn't be shocked. Cell phone reception probably wouldn't reach your parents basement.

Texting is a lot more convenient because you can A) Text multiple people at once B) Not get ass raped for calls.. Unlimited calling plans are pretty pricey still. C) Just kind of check in/keep in touch without blowing an hour talking to someone. D) Avoid conversations with certain people.

I'm sorry but some people seriously fucking take 20 minutes to just spit it out and say what should only take 5 seconds. There are far to many people like this for me to want to deal with them on the phone.

My preferred communication is in Person > Text > Call > email > Voicemail. I loathe voicemail, I'm not sure why but especially with a cell..

I text on average 4-6k a month I think; ATT's metrics are pretty hosed right now as they're pushing new reporting tools and I can't dig into old data for texts.. This month was 6600 though.

The people wondering how you can text so much? If you have 15-20 friends who text you once or twice a day.. you text them once or twice a day.. then a few text conversations (this is pretty frequent..) back and forth. I send full messages.. 160 chars isn't a lot so it gets pushed into multiple messages.

Also a lot of people text like they chat in IM.. lots of 1-2 word messages right back to back.. very easy to rack up a lot like that.

in the UK most networks have an limit of 2000-3000 or 5000 for 3uk

3uk seems to be the best network for heavy users (kids), and you can lock the charges to 0 so you can't make chargeable calls or txt

Please tell me how you figure a cell phone is cheaper than a landline.

How many minutes do you use of a landline? Maybe 60-120 a month? Price is about 25-35 + all the service fees and shit.. my parents pay about 45-50ish a month for their landline.

This is what a cell will run you with a small texting plan. Except you'll get like 500-600 minutes.

This is becoming a serious problem. My sister is 17 and sends/receives easily 10,000 a month. I don't know how she does it. She is in school for 8-10 hours a day as well. I send a few hundred a month and I think its a lot.

Here's where it becomes a disturbing trend:

I was on a second date (first date went extremely well) with this girl and I took her out to dinner. Now mind you she didn't sit there and text the entire time (maybe three texts during dinner), but her phone was constantly buzzing every 15 seconds with text messages. (I am 23) It was very aggravating. She waited till the movie after to text the entire time. That was our last date.

This is becoming a serious problem. My sister is 17 and sends/receives easily 10,000 a month. I don't know how she does it. She is in school for 8-10 hours a day as well. I send a few hundred a month and I think its a lot.

Here's where it becomes a disturbing trend:

I was on a second date (first date went extremely well) with this girl and I took her out to dinner. Now mind you she didn't sit there and text the entire time (maybe three texts during dinner), but her phone was constantly buzzing every 15 seconds with text messages. (I am 23) It was very aggravating. She waited till the movie after to text the entire time. That was our last date.

Why is it a problem how she spends her time? I love how people think there is a problem with how other people spend their time based on their own opinion lol..

As for the date thing, I agree 100%. I was on a date the other day and I made sure to leave my phone in my pocket, I got a few texts through the dinner (3-4) but I ignored them, felt bad it beeped though..

I had a friend in college who had a girl like that, I was shocked that he dumped her because she would text all the time while they hung out (he was kind of the type you'd expect to put up with a lot haha). I think the technological advancements just create another area where people can be disrespectful/inappropriate due to their immaturity.. A trend I am sure will only continue..

Why is it a problem how she spends her time? I love how people think there is a problem with how other people spend their time based on their own opinion lol..

Dunno, maybe has to do with the fact that she is his younger sister and she is in school? She ought to be paying attention, not dicking around with her telephone? :confused:

Dunno, maybe has to do with the fact that she is his younger sister and she is in school? She ought to be paying attention, not dicking around with her telephone? :confused:

He didn't say she was texting in school. Most high schools ban it from my understanding.

10k texts a month is not ALL that much if you apply reason. You could receive 70-80% of the texts you use a month.. I probably only send 40% and I'm a pretty social person. Figure straight down the middle..50%.. so 166 a day.. I'd say when I text I use it much more like IM (As I suspect most who text as much, do) It's not uncommon to text a friend 8-10 messages in a 3-4 min period, and receive as many back.. Figure that might happen a few times a day.. bam you're there.. Some friends I have entire conversations through text with...

When I'm by myself I don't mind someone texting me while I'm watching a movie or playing single player games etc..

can't these things be put on 'silent' ? I know my phone can, so I won't hear any buzz or feel any vibration. I'm pretty much a loner though, I'd lose my mind if I lived with somebody who was popular and got phone calls or text more then once per hour. Just hearing the thing buzz every 5 minutes would drive me mad. I enjoy peace and quiet. :)

Text to speech barely works, and mostly for English, so speech recognition is still many years away and not for phone CPUs.
Same thing as visual shape recognition. Works fine in a human brain, not so well in a CPU.

Don't tell my Droid that. Speech to text works almost perfectly for me.

Well, I'm 16. I don't text nearly that many times per month. I get more texts to me than texts I actually send to people. Besides, I have Net10 and I'm limited to how many texts I can do. I'd like to have a better phone but in the end I don't really care. I'd rather have a better computer than a better phone. :)

My step-son does about 7-8k/month...unless he has a girlfriend. I can always tell he is interested in someone because it goes up to 15-20k. I asked him what does he have to say and he said there are a lot of one word texts like "k" or something. Then he complains his phone doesn't work good. I said you wore it out...tough luck. Oh, and btw I told him he can call all he wants because I have 20k roll over minutes, but he says no thanks.

You don't actually have to pay attention for the entire duration of a class, especially if it's high school. Don't get me twisted; paying attention is vital to maintaining good grades for most people, but there are a lot of times during class where you can dick around. If it's a college class where the majority of your information comes through lectures, then yeah, you better pay attention, but most high school classes are very lenient in the time required to pay attention/do work in the class.

Regarding the article, that's very believable. That's actually a low number for most teens. I'm a bit older now and I focus on school and work first and foremost so I don't have text as much anymore, but when I was in high school I definitely texted a lot more than 4K times a month, easily.

Hahahahahahha. Thanks for the laugh :D
No problem :D

Depends on the prof., really. A lot of the ones I've had had a tendency to go into tangents about their personal life or their hobbies. I've had a couple who just slam you with straight information for the entire duration of the class, though. Eh.

Well, I'm 30. I don't feel old enough to be missing out on trends, but I guess I'm getting up there.

I have a plan that includes 200 text messages a month. Most months I'm just under the limit (most of them are correspondence with my fiancé). Sometimes I go over the 200 limit but on average not enough that the overage charges warrant paying for the next higher text message plan with 1,500 messages.

Back