Average i7 3770K or good one?.

Araxie

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all people, after couple of Issues with idle temps my new 3770k i've decided to make some test and ask all of you for thoughts about this chip quality..

I had already a 3770k some time ago, the worse silicon lottery I had in my life with a intel processor, that required some high 1.20V to reach 4.2GHZ.. and at very high temperature, this new one with my first impression are of a good god damn chip, to the moment i am using negative offset voltage to lower the high amount of voltage supplied by auto-voltage.. to the moment it seems rock solid with a -0.060 offset that under load sit at 1.072V to keep running 4.2GHZ at some average 62C under Prime95 with peaks of 67C on 2 cores. (which I think its kinda decent for my 27.6C room temp at the moment of the test with just an h100i with balanced mode) I think im still can keep increasing the negative offset and lower the load voltage but i do not wan't to make the idle voltage so low, so i think i will keep testing tomorrow and see how low can this chip still be stable, i made some gaming sessions on BF3, AC3, The witcher 2, Crysis3, Dragon Age Origins, Batman Arkham City, Far Cry 3 and hitman: absolution. then a P95 run for about 25min still rock solid, no crash no errors.

share your thoughts :D. im pretty happy with this chip ATM, if i can keep this kind of lower voltage i will start to push it hoping some 4.6-4.8GHZ with good voltage + good temps.

f2yp.png

I'm really jealous of your chip. On my i5 3570k I have to push into 1.2v to hit 4.2ghz, with temps in the ~73 range under prime95 load.

Those temps are fine and your voltage is, too. I swear some of the Ivy Bridge posts online are trolling with people claiming unrealistic temps. The general rule is to keep everything under 85 degrees in serious stress tests. Under 80 is even better, but that's still perfectly safe as a permanent overclock.

Some things to take a look at when boosting your voltage are "WHEA Errors."
There's some info on them in the early pages of this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1793932
Just because your system seems stable doesn't mean it isn't dropping errors behind the scenes.

On mine I ended up needing a tiny voltage boost to get rid of WHEA's with long sessions of Prime95.

I'm really jealous of your chip. On my i5 3570k I have to push into 1.2v to hit 4.2ghz, with temps in the ~73 range under prime95 load.

What mobo are you using? and what settings? what cooler? im planing to do some test without HT to see how it perform. so maybe we can compare it later =)

Those temps are fine and your voltage is, too. I swear some of the Ivy Bridge posts online are trolling with people claiming unrealistic temps. The general rule is to keep everything under 85 degrees in serious stress tests. Under 80 is even better, but that's still perfectly safe as a permanent overclock.

Some things to take a look at when boosting your voltage are "WHEA Errors."
There's some info on them in the early pages of this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1793932
Just because your system seems stable doesn't mean it isn't dropping errors behind the scenes.

On mine I ended up needing a tiny voltage boost to get rid of WHEA's with long sessions of Prime95.

yea i know some windowshardware errors mostly from people who change the BCLK but also with people that OC RAM.

as an update i decreased the CPU PLL voltage to 1.600v which helped to decrease 2C +/- under same conditions and ended with a -0.055 offset + Medium LLC (25%) that bumped the Vcore to 1.104 under P95 solid for 12hours and Aida64 to 1.096 for another 12 hours.. peak times are the same peaking 67C-68C max under prime95 but keeping the the same average temp wich its good taking in count the 0.032v bump due to increased LLC and less offset... i had to do this due to Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 keep crashing on very long gaming periods. i thought it was fine on 2-3 hours of continue play.. but after that time it just start to crash.. temperatures while gaming are still good 50C-55C for normal games.. 55-60 for heavy CPU games like crysis 3 and far cry 3. i'll keep doing more test this weekend but i think i'll keep this settings until i delid this chip. i like to keep lower temps due to the tropical temps in my country i know deliding will help to bump the CPU to some 4.5ghz i'll be happy with that if im able to do keeping Hyperthreading.

I got my chip(3770k) to 4.8 with good temps 70 c. Prob could go higher but in a lot of games its not stable and crashes. 4.5 seems to work the best from me on my chip. Also if you decrease the PLL voltage you can lower temps while getting a higher clock.

Yeah, I think the 3770K chips aren't meant to go far over 4.5ghz and if you can get them to go higher there isn't much to show for it.
When I first got my H110 I tinkered around with higher clockspeeds and just didn't see much reason for it. Especially because they're prone to heat up quickly and make my (normally quiet) cooling get loud in a hurry. The nature of my cooler keeps things under 82 degrees almost no matter what...but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound like an airport.
4.6ghz was the sweet spot for me, although I'm actually half-tempted to even go back to 4.5 before it's all said and done. There was a pretty decent jump in voltage and temps going from 4.5 to 4.6 and almost no performance to show for it.

Back