Average eBay Price For PS4 Is $425

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the days of insane eBay profits on consoles might actually be over. That's good news for anyone looking for a console for Christmas.

In the week after its launch, eBay has moved more than 21,000 PlayStation 4s, according to the online retail tracking service TeraPeak, at an average price of $425.50. It retails for $399.00P

$400 + sales tax is $440, so it sounds like people are willing to buy it on ebay to avoid paying sales tax.

There must be plenty available.

I remember the botched PS2 launch and the tidy sums people were willing to pay to acquire one. That shit was ugly.

I think the rash of dead consoles for both the PS4 and XB1 scared people off of buying them on sites like eBay and Craigslist. You drop the money and the console is a paperweight since you don't have a receipt chances are the default warranty won't be honored and you have to pay out of pocket to fix it. Not to mention the launch line ups for both systems pretty much suck between both of them there are literally 3 games I'd like to play and I can wait until more games come out to make either system worth owning.

Lukewarm demand, scalpers buying up all the pre-order units, actual customers not buying the units out of brick & mortar stores, all leading to a "depressed" grey market.

$400 + sales tax is $440, so it sounds like people are willing to buy it on ebay to avoid paying sales tax.

There must be plenty available.

Depends on the state, only $424 here. I think 10% is the high end for sales tax. 5-7% being more normal.

At ~$425, the sellers are losing a significant amount money. Ebay+paypal+shipping fees = ~15-20% of the sale price.

At ~$425, the sellers are losing a significant amount money. Ebay+paypal+shipping fees = ~15-20% of the sale price.

Yea, there is no way they are selling for $425 on average as that would be below MSRP after accounting for Ebay/Paypal fees.

Unless sellers are in business to lose $...

With ebay fees it's no wonder no one resorts to selling their console on there anymore. On craigslist I see the PS4/XBone going for $600-800

I just watched 4 end within a minute or so between them. All sold for $570+ so they are still making a profit.

sellers buy them with credit cards(which have cashback from 2 to 5%), earn store rewards, and cash back from cashback websites. At $425, I doubt they're losing money, but the profit margin is small.

The resellers on Amazon are still asking for more than a grand for both the PS4 and Xbox One.

Anyone who's been even remotely watching the actual consoles selling knows they are floating $525-600, with the low end prices usually having a hefty shipping fee attached. Lazy / Stupid automatic data trackers don't replace the human element, even if everything is supposedly digital.

And surprise surprise, Kotaku-Click-Bait linking:(

I just watched 4 end within a minute or so between them. All sold for $570+ so they are still making a profit.

That's the about the price I have seen them going for this last week on ebay. Some went up to around $620. They will go up a lot as we get closer to Christmas, unless the brick and mortars get more stock in early December. If that happens, a lot of these resellers will just be trying to get their money back before Christmas.

Id like to see the proof in this. As when I was selling my pre orders they were selling for $600-$650 all day long. In fact my first one sold for $625 and subsequently sold them on CL instead to avoid ridiculous fee's. Theres no way in hell people are selling these for a LOSS.

Id like to see the proof in this. As when I was selling my pre orders they were selling for $600-$650 all day long. In fact my first one sold for $625 and subsequently sold them on CL instead to avoid ridiculous fee's. Theres no way in hell people are selling these for a LOSS.

Oh, you're one of them.

Just saw a $520 buy it now with only $10/shipping. Average seems maybe $560-580 range w/ shipping on on bid auctions. A lot of $650 buy it now that will just run out and charge their listing fee. Many people probably want to cut their losses.

All the cool people bought this instead.

tloz__a_link_between_worlds_by_link_leob-d69ofep.jpg

Buying an Xbox1 with someone who has opened it and proved it will work might be the best way to go right now. I know two people who bought and xbox one day one edition and BOTH of them have broken Blu-ray drives.

My PS4 however is working perfectly. However I wish my money had been spent on a WiiU+Super Mario 3D world and a 3DSXL Zelda bundle instead. I had no idea those two games were so good and no idea they were even being launched. I guess that is what I get for writing off Nintendo after the Wii.

Anyone who believes this obviously hasn't actually went to eBay and searched for sold listings of PS4 brand new console. They're going $500-700. The same site also claims that people are selling Xbox One's for less than MSRP.

Reality is, they probably use some type of search tool that searches "PS4" or "Xbox One" in eBay sold listings, then automatically has it all averages. That search probably, erroneously, includes controllers, games, etc.

Here is what PS4's are actually going for.

Here is what Xbox One's are going for.

Both are far over what Kotaku article says.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^ I saw some listing ending between 500-550. A friend of mine is convinced that it will go for upward of 600 during Christmas. Maybe for suckers. :D

So does anyone have advice on how or where to sell my shitty "next-gen" consoles? I thought about craigslist, but the whole thing seems volatile.

Here is what PS4's are actually going for.

Interesting that one sold for $360 with buy it now, shipping was $43 too, so that person lost money if he paid MSRP for it. Of course more likely than not it's one of those ones that "fell off the back of a truck" , or he's trying to scam the person who bought it (it shows a picture of a controller).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So does anyone have advice on how or where to sell my shitty "next-gen" consoles? I thought about craigslist, but the whole thing seems volatile.

I would sell through Craigs only if buyer agrees to meet outside a police station in broad daylight.

You mean, the guy offering me a trip in his van for the item isn't legit?
That's harsh man.

Oh, you're one of them.

Why yes, I am one of those people who sell things for what they are worth in this great country called America where we practice a free market economy.

Here ya go, maybe this will help you understand a bit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_economy

Sold mine on craigslist and it was completely fine. Just dont be stupid. Meet in a public place and pack some kind of weapon. Not that that will save you most likely but at least stack the odds in your favor.

lol you guys freak out too much. Getting robbed off on CL is rare, but you know what isn't rare? Having an ass clown drag you out to meet him at some public place and then not even show up. For that reason CL deals go down somewhere I am already going to be. Either my home, work or where I feel like shopping that day.

lol you guys freak out too much. Getting robbed off on CL is rare, but you know what isn't rare? Having an ass clown drag you out to meet him at some public place and then not even show up. For that reason CL deals go down somewhere I am already going to be. Either my home, work or where I feel like shopping that day.

Depends on where you live. There are a lot of scumbags near me and I always meet in a public place, preferably at or next to the local police station.

Suggesting a police station has 3 potential responses.
1. They agree (and sometimes mention they prefer a Police Station)
2. They decline and suggest a new location nearby (red flag)
3. They never respond. (F*ck em)

I'm in Philly so when in doubt, I pack a heater.

It looks like the days of insane eBay profits on consoles might actually be over. That's good news for anyone looking for a console for Christmas.

Some friends and I considered waiting out to get a PS3, but ultimately didn't and I distinctly recall that there was virtually no money to be made reselling one.

I really don't get the rush to get one anyway. There's not many games out for either platform and I'd swear I read that neither was backwards compatible with older gen consoles, so why not wait a few months for the bugs to be worked out and more titles? I know: that's crazy talk.

It's not "worth" anything more than MSRP. Do you feel good knowing you shafted people with overpriced preorders?

I dont think you read the link I gave you. It's actually worth whatever people will pay. That's pretty much what the word "worth" means actually. Were you not able to afford one this Holiday season? Id probably be pretty upset too if I couldn't and all my friends had one. :mad:

No it was quite called for.

Now this - "Were you not able to afford one this Holiday season? Id probably be pretty upset too if I couldn't and all my friends had one. " is uncalled for.

You want to be high and mighty with "Join Team 33 and help save lives!". Yet you spew "Were you not able to afford one this Holiday season? Id probably be pretty upset too if I couldn't and all my friends had one. "

Which one are you?

Go kick rocks bud. And I could careless about these consoles. I'm just tired of seeing this thread crapping all day every day on here.

No it was quite called for.

Now this - "Were you not able to afford one this Holiday season? Id probably be pretty upset too if I couldn't and all my friends had one. " is uncalled for.

You want to be high and mighty with "Join Team 33 and help save lives!". Yet you spew "Were you not able to afford one this Holiday season? Id probably be pretty upset too if I couldn't and all my friends had one. "

Which one are you?

Go kick rocks bud. And I could careless about these consoles. I'm just tired of seeing this thread crapping all day every day on here.

O you must not had seen where he came out of nowhere earlier on me? You though that was unprovoked. How funny.

Alas you had to come in and get personal with the name calling like a 5 year old. You are tired of the threadcrapping, yet you come in here and threadcrap while also breaking the rules with a personal attack. Comical...:eek:

Thanks for trying to save the day Captain America. :rolleyes:

Were you not able to afford one this Holiday season? Id probably be pretty upset too if I couldn't and all my friends had one. :mad:

Thanks for the good laugh. Actually, I'm holding off until they get some good (IMHO) games for the system.

Thanks for the good laugh. Actually, I'm holding off until they get some good (IMHO) games for the system.

That's why I canceled my preorders on both. Looking at the launch titles, there just isn't much to choose from that I'd play. Fast forward to early 2014, and there are a lot more that I would play (The Division, and for Xbox - Titanfall). I'm not in a hurry. I could have bought them and flipped them for a slight profit, but I have a hard time doing that.

There will be some awesome games for both machines, they just aren't there yet. At least the ones that I'd play.

Back