Avaya/Nortel ERS 4500 switch reverted to old config?

This weekend I had to replace the cabinet a stacked pair of Avaya ERS 4550 switches lived in. Nice and tidy now :)

I hit a problem though when I powered the switches back up. Both were plugged into the cabinet's UPS while it was off - so they both came on at the same time the UPS was turned on, and booted up fairly normally.

First problem was one port of a multi link trunk seemed to be disabled, which was odd. Enabled that and carried on. I then noticed all of the VLAN configuration was olddddd.

Auto save to NVRAM is enabled though - so I don't get why it er, didn't.

Any ideas? Do stacked switches need to be started in a certain order perhaps?

Manually? No - given autosavetonvramenabled was checked, it seems unnecessary to have to manually save at any point. Automatically it seems it didn't; I've never seen anything to confirm a save has happened either thinking about it.

I have powered down these switches before without issue though - I don't get what was different this time.

There are a few of these deployed on the network I help manage. Normally they have a stack master selection switch on the back. We always make the top switch in the stack the master for predictability reasons and our monitoring keys off of that as well. With that being said, I have seen on occasion where multiple switches in the stack are selected as master or where the switch isn't turned on for all switches in the stack and upon reboot it loads either an old config or a default config.

The base switch is set correctly :/ It's strange...

Maybe I'll manually save and power cycle them again to see if it retains it properly at some point.

If you do a copy config nvram does it error out? If so, probably bad flash onboard.

Gave that a quick try and it seems to be happy - Status: success. Will reboot them tomorrow morning.

Chasing a routing/VLAN problem with the management interface now that I think is related to the MLT being confused when I powered them back up, just not sure why yet.

Back