Avatar Passes the $1 Billion Mark

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
James Cameron’s epic Avatar has surpassed the $1 billion mark in worldwide box office sales, propelling it past The Dark Knight into fourth-place among all-time sales. It’s pretty stunning when you consider that two of the top five all-time worldwide grossing movies are by James Cameron, with Titanic sitting comfortably atop the list at $1.8 billion. If you haven’t seen Avatar yet, what are you waiting for?

[Avatar’s] domestic cume was $352.1 million, including a weekend take of $68.3 million, the best gross ever for a film in its third weekend. Overseas, the pic's cume through Sunday was $670.2 million.

He and Spielberg are the greatest movie makers of our time. They just plain know how to out a movies together. George L and Martin S will always take a back seat to them.

I'm waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray since the theater here is only showing the headache inducing 3D version and I'm not going to pay $2 extra to watch a movie that will give me a headache.

I'm waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray since the theater here is only showing the headache inducing 3D version and I'm not going to pay $2 extra to watch a movie that will give me a headache.

Just tape one of your eyes shut.

It honestly wasn't that hard on the eyes

Just tape one of your eyes shut.

It honestly wasn't that hard on the eyes

And why would I want to do that? I'm still paying extra money for a movie I can't fully enjoy. ALL forms of 3D that use glasses give me a headache. Whether its the stereoscopic crap or the so-called digital 3D that movies use now days. So why should I pay $12 (plus the cost of soda and popcorn) to watch a movie I won't be able to enjoy when for under $4 I can rent the Blu-Ray when it comes out or buy it for $20.

I"m waiting for it to come out on DVD or Blu Ray since i'm deaf and they don't offer subtitles or captions in theaters

not gonna pay $10 for a ticket + food for a slideshow

I"m waiting for it to come out on DVD or Blu Ray since i'm deaf and they don't offer subtitles or captions in theaters

Ya know, I bet there is money to be made in having specialized theaters that show subtitled movies for the hearing impaired. At least in bigger cities.

The story is nothing to write home about, but its a visual feast like no other. Pocahontas in space. I was going to say Dances with the Wolves in Space, but the characters are overly stereotypical, so Pocahontas it is.

I keep seeing this brought up - I had no problem with 3D, having seen Beowulf, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations. Hell, I get motion sick from HL2 and MW. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

Ya know, I bet there is money to be made in having specialized theaters that show subtitled movies for the hearing impaired. At least in bigger cities.

i understand what you're saying but no there isn't

but what a theater could do is have a night or 2 a week when they have subtitles for movies, special nights, that would work just as well

I keep seeing this brought up - I had no problem with 3D, having seen Beowulf, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations. Hell, I get motion sick from HL2 and MW. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

Its more of a problem for stereoscopic 3D, but there is actually quite a few people who get headaches from any kind of 3D. Motion sickness from games is becoming a lot more common as well it seems. Thankfully I don't get motion sick at all.

but what a theater could do is have a night or 2 a week when they have subtitles for movies, special nights, that would work just as well

The biggest problem would be getting the subtitle tracks from the movie studios I think. With everything being digital these days I don't think it would be a problem for them to create a disc with the tracks on by default.

Last Samurai set on another planet.

How many big budget movies in the last decade can you name with anything resembling a unique story?

Couldn't be bothered with seeing this flick. Blue Cat people and 90 CG film with 3D? Why would I want to watch that train wreck.

True, but its James Cameron. He can do better than Native Saints vs Bad Corporate White people.

I didn't really expect the story to be anything better, especially after the incredibly boring half hour speech he gave at E3 that detailed pretty much every little thing about it. The speech alone probably put me off from being interested in seeing it opening night, 3D or not.

True, but its James Cameron. He can do better than Native Saints vs Bad Corporate White people.

well he did write it some 16 years ago, putting it before last samurai and even pocahontas. what was titanic? another fucking love story? talk about overdone! sheesh. :D anyway, i cant wait to see it, you bunch of negative nancys cant get me down. got my imax tickets for tomorrow night!

Does RWC not work very well?

Partisan blogs don't like the movie for obvious reasons. I say watch the movie and make up your own mind. Nothing more hilarious than seeing someone regurgitate a movie "review" when they've never even seen it.

Rear Window Captioning. It's a feature installed in a couple of theatres locally whereby there's a screen displaying the closed-caption text at the back of the theatre and you're given a mirror to attach to your armrest so you can see it. It works out such that the Captions end up displayed somewhere near the bottom right of the screen in your field of vision, but I don't know how hard it is to focus on both. One of the main advantages of this setup is that if you don't have one of the mirrors on your arm-rest, you don't see the captions.

It's not everywhere, and it's not even in each projection theatre in any given cinema, but it's out there. It doesn't sound like it's all that common though, which is too bad.

Partisan blogs don't like the movie for obvious reasons. I say watch the movie and make up your own mind. Nothing more hilarious than seeing someone regurgitate a movie "review" when they've never even seen it.

Yah, I know a few people that won't see it just based on the politics. I think most environmentalism is BS, but still very much enjoyed this movie even with the literal tree-hugging.

It is definitely the best looking movie I ever saw and the story was good enough to keep my interest for the nearly 3 hours. This won't be something I watch multiple times, but well worth seeing in 3D if you can.

wow thanks, i will look more into this RWC and see if any theaters where i live have it

well go figure

no theaters here in Arkansas support it, according to that list

Same thought - why pay $$ for something you can't enjoy fully.

I do get motion sick (so 3D is probably out of the question) and have a horrible time with sensory overload - dark theater, large screen, LOUD music, people talking, moving around, fast movements, etc., it's too much and I've tried it and ended up having a drop attack which is so embarrassing and debilitating - along with being dangerous (hit head=yet another concussion). I'm not deaf - yet, but my right ear is now really going so probably before the year's out I'll have lost hearing in that one. Have bilateral meniere's disease, it's only a matter of time before both ears go. So I can empathize with you being deaf. I have used closed captioning at home for the last 10 years, as my hearing has been fluctuating that long.

No way I'd spend that kind of money to sit in a theater not being able to understand or distinguish half of what's being said and the 3D/things moving fast? oh boy.

I can't sit in my living room and watch a roller coaster commercial on tv - I fall over.

And closed captioning on tv is just easier than this RWC looks. Along with the fact that in my state there's a grand total of 6 theaters, none of which are anywhere within oh at least a 2 to 3 hour drive? and no I don't drive.

I do want to see this movie, it's just going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Just like every other movie I want to see. Either ppv on cable or DVD. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper, you can hit the pause button to run to the kitchen/bathroom/outside for smoke ;) and just sit comfy in your own place with little distraction (hopefully).

There is a theater in little rock.
http://www.captionfish.com/

actually you are right

there is one in little Rock, it's about 20-25 mins from where I live

i didn't know about that site

thanks man, I might watch it after all, I'll have to keep my eyes open for days I can attend, it looks like they only do it for select movies, not all of them :(

If it happens on a day I can go, I probably will

I saw it in IMAX 3d and experienced no side effects. The headache thing is not an across the board problem.

Same here.

I don't get motion sickness from anything, but any form of 3d gives me a massive splitting headache. That and honestly 3d has always been so gimmicky and cheesy it just ceased being interesting. It just boils down to my personal vision, it is bad and something with my contacts and the 3d glasses results in a miserable experience for me.

I saw it in Imax 3D on my birthday with my parents and one of my little brothers and all of us enjoyed it, and for different reasons.

That is something Cameron is good at, appealing to a wide audience and getting people to see his films multiple times in the theater.

IMO you're not giving the movie its due unless you see it in 3D in a theater, sure the BR disc will be awesome but the experience won't be the same.

That said of course the story is silly but Titanic had a silly story too.

I wear glasses, so i don't think it's related to corrective lenses. *shrug*

I didn't see any real reason to have this movie in 3d. While watching it all I could think about is the gimmicky shit they kept putting in it for no other reason then being 3d.

The movie over all wasnt that great, the only thing that was cool was seeing all the different animals and the cool looking plants. The acting was dumb, the main character was an idiot(seriously he was stupid). The movie was like one of those super hero movies where someone just discovers they have super powers and they are all of a sudden using them like they had them the whole time. In fact this movie kinda reminded me of the first Harry Potter film or the first Fantastic 4 where everyone gets their powers and its like "wow, look at this." or "Wow wasn't that the coolest thing ever!". Over all the movie was very very predictable, wouldn't give it over 2 stars unless we were only judging visuals.

GUISE!! MOVIES DONT MAKE MONEY ANYMORE!!! All this pirating and stuff - no one goes to theaters anymore! They just download them and gather around their bigscreen (17" monitor)!!

And why would I want to do that? I'm still paying extra money for a movie I can't fully enjoy. ALL forms of 3D that use glasses give me a headache. Whether its the stereoscopic crap or the so-called digital 3D that movies use now days. So why should I pay $12 (plus the cost of soda and popcorn) to watch a movie I won't be able to enjoy when for under $4 I can rent the Blu-Ray when it comes out or buy it for $20.

It was more of a joke,

Honestly, i have seen it in 3d and 2d, and honestly there was not that many 3d elements in it.

I think i read somewhere that the director had to do well with this or he was in trouble... 100M is not too shabby.

It was more of a joke,

Honestly, i have seen it in 3d and 2d, and honestly there was not that many 3d elements in it.

The 3D is actually the most subtle thing about the movie.

Things don't poke out at you, its more like you're looking at a diorama inside a box. The depth extends away from the audience, past the borders of the screen, not out towards you from the screen.

best movie ive seen in while. Loved the story. Visuals were money. 3d rocked. All i have to say about that. By the way this was from a person that really didnt see the hype in 3d and had never seen a 3d movie before. The 3d totally blew me away.

actually you are right

there is one in little Rock, it's about 20-25 mins from where I live

i didn't know about that site

thanks man, I might watch it after all, I'll have to keep my eyes open for days I can attend, it looks like they only do it for select movies, not all of them :(

If it happens on a day I can go, I probably will

GL Man. Its a good movie. Hopefully that theater has some decent bass to enhance the show for you.

Back