AV and Backup for small office

Protoform-X

[H]ard|Gawd
I just started a new job as a sys admin for a small office with 5-10 servers and 25-50 workstations. The previous IT company installed a monthly-billing version of Trend Micro WFBS that shows 25,000 licenses. I'm very familiar with Trend Micro WFBS, but I know it's not the best AV out there. I'd like to move away from the old IT company all together.

Several of the workstations are also very slow P4/512MB dinosaurs. They'll be replaced gradually, but not all at once, so I need a lightweight, yet effective solution. What's the recommended AV these days for business? I see a lot of talk about ESET NOD32, but I got scared when I read a thread on here about a bad update and other threads about performance issues. Thoughts?

---

The old IT company also has a monthly-billing version of Acronis Echo Server installed on the servers for backup. I really like Acronis, but it's price is steep and I might not be able to convince the decision makers to buy licenses outright.

One of the servers is running Windows Storage Server 2003 SP2, but the backup features have been turned off and the Acronis images are being stored in a UNC share on it's array. I've never used Storage Server. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

I'll also need to get about 50GB of critical data backed up offsite. Unfortunately I wont have the bandwidth to pump that much data over the Internet each night. Does anyone know a good service that provides offsite backup with some kind of incremental stitching so I wont have to keep uploading full backups? I've seen this with Kaseya/Acronis, but wasn't sure if it was available elsewhere.

I would go with ESET.

Offsite data - Mozy Pro or Intronis. Both only do changed files and revisions, they dont back up full each time.

You probably should backup each server to the Storage server, and backup that with a tape/etc.

If they were Server 08 you got hte nice image based backup.

Back