Auzentech X-Tension DIN is now out (no HDMI support)

Moofasa~

[H]ard|Gawd
Lame. :mad:

I've heard rumors they will eventual release another extension board with HDMI, but I'm not counting on it being anytime soon. :(

This was intended to be released -- the HDMI board is a separate product, not formally announced, but hinted at by Auzen tech support and practically confirmed.

I think there's a good reason they've called it "X-Tension DIN", rather than just "X-Tension".

Yeah but when? Look how long it took for this to come out. I was hoping the had scratched the DIN (which is basically worthless) for HDMI (or made a DIN->HDMI adapter). No such luck.

Phide, is exactly right. They are two different products... I ordered one for Midi support.
Nobody ever said this card would feature HDMI.

I was hoping the had scratched the DIN (which is basically worthless) for HDMI (or made a DIN->HDMI adapter). No such luck.
I couldn't agree more. I think that for at least 95% of Auzentech card owners, this thing is going to be absolutely useless to them. Auzentech makes cards best used for analog music playback and for HTPCs, and bypassing HDMI in favor of a non-standard "S/PDIF" hack job is, quite frankly, bizarre. HDMI is the obvious choice, and there's simply no contesting its superiority over some non-standard DIN output that can be utilized with precisely one product on the market.

Of course, they announced this one before they realized the error in their judgment (so I presume). My guess is that they simply didn't want to pay out to the HDMI Group, and sales of the X-Tension DIN are going to suffer for it.

Hopefully Auzentech intends to rectify this situation quickly. Enthusiasts are clamoring for any semblance of HDMI video/audio on the PC, and there aren't exactly any real ways to get it besides buying a ~$400 2900 XT and sacrificing heavily on the feature set.

that should all change next week or 2, with the HD2400 and HD2600 from ATI, at least for HTPC usage..

the 2400 i thik is suppose to be price pointed at sub 99$.. and it will be passively cooled..

i know i've been waiting a while now for the HD2400 so i can replace my 7800GT in my HTPC..

The HDMI 1,3 X-Tension board is a different product that is coming out later on. This board was never supposed to contain HDMI standards. I am buying one for Midi.

We know there are two products, but we are still allowed to share our thoughts on the pointless need for this extension board (I'm sure there will be a MIDI on the HDMI board too). Auzentech should have just focused on the HDMI version.

Btw, isn't the Prelude due out this week (or has it been delayed again)?

This X-Tension board was announced before the Prelude was announced. Why is it no good? It has another set of combo digital inputs and has Midi I/O. That other G9 jack or whatever it is called is a bit on the weird side but I think the company will be using that for something else in the future. As for Midi on the HDMI card, that is a guess at best. Why bother?
Peopl who want HDMI basically want to connect the card to a HT system. I don't really see where Midi I/O plays into that, unless your talking about Midi control.

That other G9 jack or whatever it is called is a bit on the weird side

Exactly.

Replace the G9 with HDMI and you have yourself an excellent product.

That is only your opinion. People will still buy this board for the features it offers. When the HDMI 1.3 board is released people will buy that aswell. HDMI is still very much a niche market.;)

But what features are really that desirable? You can get USB-based 1-in/1-out MIDI controllers for less than $40 (obligatorily 16 channels), the DIN output is compatible with two PC speaker systems that aren't either popular or particularly impressive compared to other systems on the market, and how useful are the additional digital ins/outs going to be to most people? I suppose that if, perhaps, you wanted to be able to pipe in your 360's and PS3's audio without having to switch cables, this might be useful, but I can't imagine very many other scenarios where this would be terribly valuable.

I think that, in comparison to HDMI, this stuff is about as niche as you can get (except for MIDI, of course, though I'm certain few people wish to control MIDI devices with their Auzentech card). The X-tension DIN isn't exactly a bad value in my book, but I think there would be such a tremendous value in a similar card with HDMI instead of the "S/PDIF" DIN even if it were priced much higher.

I like standards-compliant interoperability. The DIN misses on two out of two as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, it has uses for some and not others. This same thing will happen when the HDMI1.3 board is released. Some will find it a god send and others won't care less for the HDMI interface as they have no need for it. I think they said that product was built based on features customers asked for in polls and emails..

the G9 is good for those people with those creative speakers that uses the G9, you might not think its usefull. but its usefull for those people that has those speakers.

And doesnt want to use a A2zs to keep using it and might want to use a newer sound card with them.

just wait for the one with HDMI, if you waited for this you can wait for it. I know if i had one of those speaker sets that uses G9 for its digital. I would be a happy camper.

Back