Automation replacement

Craz_3

Weaksauce
I was looking for a system that I could replace something similar to Crestron with.

My main goal basically build a system that includes ir blasters to switch modes along with a customizeable lcd remote. I would also like to be able to expand to do further things like house control and so fourth, but the only systems I see out there aren't pc based.

Craz_3 said:
I was looking for a system that I could replace something similar to Crestron with.

My main goal basically build a system that includes ir blasters to switch modes along with a customizeable lcd remote. I would also like to be able to expand to do further things like house control and so fourth, but the only systems I see out there aren't pc based.
There is a reason Crestron is so expensive you know.

Also, use wired control. IR control is just asking for problems.

hmmm.

This thread reminds me to harass my pal for some crestron stuff.

Damn I work for a home theater company and they are paying for my training and I still don't get my stuff for free.

I come to realize ebay is a great resource though for cheap crestron stuff.

Bighitter said:
Damn I work for a home theater company and they are paying for my training and I still don't get my stuff for free.

I come to realize ebay is a great resource though for cheap crestron stuff.
That stuff is mostly 2 generations back though. Isis I/O is badass.

If you want to automate stuff and interface through your pc check out Girder. Very powerful tool for IR receiving/blasting.

You could do something like run myHTPC on one of those palm pilot like things that run windows programs and has a touch screen. Connect it to your pc and use girder to dish out the commands.

theacoustician said:
You get it for free? :confused:

No, but I can get stuff pretty cheaply or older used stuff.

Also If my friend needs renovations or things like sheetrock, plastering... I get to do it :D
And I do computer support for him too.

Best part is he does the automation programming and stuff, so If i can't figure it out I can call him.

I was in Jerry Seinfeld's "BatCave" the other day while he did some work too.

Its amazing some of the places you get to go when your into the home automation stuff.

CQC is a full featured, software-based control and automation system that can provide a front end for your HTPC and allow you to do a full home automation scheme. Yes, it is from my own company, so don't take my word for it, check it out yourself. The web site has a lot of documentation, but it's a bit technical if you aren't familiar with control systems, so feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Hey Dean,

Nice to see you posting over here at the [H]. I need to give your software a try again now that I am getting closer to moving into the new house. I know charmed is designed to control home automation how does it integrate with a crestron or amx based home automation system.

CQC is pretty open about integrating with anything you want, it just requires a driver to do it. CQC can be controlled by an external system using the XML Gateway Server, which is an optional component that allows you to get and set device values via a simple XML over Sockets type interface (i.e. you need no code of mine on the other side.)

And of course if Crestron will stoop so low as to allow someone else to control them, you can do that via CQC driver, as long as the communications mechanism is serial or socket based. If it's not, I'd have to do that driver, since user written drivers currently can only use sockets or serial ports. I'm going to add HID USB in the next release.

Dean Roddey said:
And of course if Crestron will stoop so low as to allow someone else to control them
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

From Crestron's Website said:
e-Control Open-Architecture Software Development Kit (SDK)

The included ActiveX module and compiled JAVA applets link you to most any software application (speech recognition, card access, database engines, etc.). e-Control JAVA applets included in the SDK easily drop into HTML source code that can then be viewed in a web browser. The e-Control ActiveX module is used to link any Microsoft® software platform to Crestron control. Packages such as Visual Basic™, C++, Delphi™, and even HTML code support ActiveX modules.
And before you ask, yes that means you can use programs compiled for MS to work to control Crestron stuff.

Personally, I'd prefer a network level protocol than an ActiveX widget. I really hate having to load other people's code into my highly multi-threaded object server (which runs CQC drivers), because I don't have a clue how well tested their code is and whether they've tested it out in a multi-CPU system in a heavily loaded multi-threaded process.

Back