Automatic FTP Backup / Sync Software

Spidey329

[H]F Junkie
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread (please move if it isn't), but a recent power outage at my hosting provider has left some of my data unobtainable.

Besides looking for a new host (these guys used to be good). I'm curious if anyone has any software recommendations for doing a backup via FTP? Something that'll FTP into the server and pull a backup of each file into a local copy (from the machine running the software), then do periodic incremental backs from then on.

It's a shared hosting environment, so I don't have access to the shell itself to be able to push it from the server to a remote storage, it has to be pulled from the remote storage.

There's likely some long ways around of doing it (mapping a directory to the FTP and tricking local backup software to pull data), but I'm curious if there's some already ready made programs for this task.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now, I ended up jerry-rigging a solution.

I have a local server that uses winSCP and task scheduler to synchronize files. Then Acronis takes a backup of that.

For the cpanel stuff I wrote a Python script that logs into Cpanel, scrapes the Backup.html (backup tools for Cpanel), for all of the databases/filters/aliases in their respective tables, and then downloads them one-by-one into a new folder. I'll share it if anyone wants it. Was my first attempt at Python.

Under Linux I use for my hosting and for backup from my home: rsync is my standard tool. Easy to put into cronjobs for automatic backups. A bit "home brew"-style but works in most of my use-cases reliable.

Back