Automatic Braking Acuras Recalled For Stopping When They Shouldn't

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is your Acura slamming on the skids for no reason? That's probably because computer controlled vehicles are becoming self aware and turning against their owners. What? I said "probably." ;)

Just this week, federal safety regulators recommended that all cars be equipped with automatic braking systems that can stop cars when drivers don't see vehicles or other obstacles in front of them. The National Transportation Safety Board says this could save thousands of lives. But now these safety systems are hitting the brakes when the cars shouldn't be stopped.

How are Californians supposed to run from the police on TV if their cars will automatically stop? I am completely against this technology as it will negatively impact my Youtube viewing entertainment.

Oh oh, this is the first sign that the machines are taking over.

*bleep bloop* Detected that driver is an idiot, breaking now *bleep bloop*

How long until they decide that we're the problem?

How are Californians supposed to run from the police on TV if their cars will automatically stop? I am completely against this technology as it will negatively impact my Youtube viewing entertainment.

And /thread.

:D

Now, imagine that 1 becomes 0 and the car actually hits the gas pedal...:rolleyes:

Now we need to interface cars with maximum speeds allowed.

Because...

No more speeding will make breaking systems easier to manage!

Great one more thing to break down after the warranty period expires...

Why can't we just let natural selection continue? We must we keep saving ourselves from ourselves?

Now we need to interface cars with maximum speeds allowed.

Because...

No more speeding will make breaking systems easier to manage!

Not likely to happen. Even if you coupled speed data with a GPS to track maximum speed for the road, it'd not be forced into law. Many municipalities rely on that revenue to pay for their inflated budgets. The goal isn't to eliminate speeding, it's to have another source of revenue.

The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

If someone can't take two seconds to look before walking into areas that vehicles travel, then good riddance; I fully support natural selection.

That's probably because computer controlled vehicles are becoming self aware and turning against their owners. What? I said "probably." ;)

You mean like the guy with the Corvette down in Texas who go locked in his car with his dog and both died from the heat?

"The door locks in his 2007 Chevy Corvette are completely electric, and officers said it appeared the battery cable came loose while the pair was inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock."

http://ktla.com/2015/06/11/elderly-man-dog-die-because-car-doors-wouldnt-unlock/

I am back in school to change careers and have downsized, but any manufacturer who wants my business in a few years better leave this crap off my next car or allow it to be disabled. The more society has to rely on technology to stay safe, the worse drivers become.

If someone can't take two seconds to look before walking into areas that vehicles travel, then good riddance; I fully support natural selection.

Or if people can't pay the F attention when they're driving instead of refreshing Facebook or their Twitter feed for the 47th time.

You mean like the guy with the Corvette down in Texas who go locked in his car with his dog and both died from the heat?

"The door locks in his 2007 Chevy Corvette are completely electric, and officers said it appeared the battery cable came loose while the pair was inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock."

http://ktla.com/2015/06/11/elderly-man-dog-die-because-car-doors-wouldnt-unlock/

If you're too stupid to break a window? We won't miss ya!

If you're too stupid to break a window? We won't miss ya!

Missed the part about being elderly.

I read something similar about an elderly couple in Florida in a rental car; luckily they survived but it was close.

This would be good tech for the elderly. We've had many deaths from elderly who mistake the gas for the brake and plow through crowds of people. It's stuff like this or driver less cars. Mind I really hope it can be disabled or it's optional accessory.

Missed the part about being elderly.

I read something similar about an elderly couple in Florida in a rental car; luckily they survived but it was close.

So you lose intelligence as you get older? :rolleyes: I don't know about you, but if I'm baking to death, I'm going to find a way to break the window.

How long does it take to die in the car from heat?

To add: Old people (over the age of 65), shouldn't be on the road; Period.

Why can't we just let natural selection continue? We must we keep saving ourselves from ourselves?
Indeed. There has to be a cut-off point somewhere where we quit trying to make things safer for ourselves. The universe is a chaotic and destructive place—there is only so much we can do to armor ourselves against it.

To add: Old people (over the age of 65), shouldn't be on the road; Period.

Really depends on the person, not the age.

My step dad had no problem driving over 50 miles in heavy traffic to supervise construction jobs when he was in his mid 70's. In his late 60's he made several cross country vacation trips. Never had any problems.

Some people should be on the road no mater what age they are.

I think that people really are getting dumber...that it's not just my imagination...! Any human driver can easily out-drive a computer--a human being is a far, far better driving computer than any computer it's possible to build. (Even space shuttles have manual overrides, but space is a much different proposition contrasted with a crowded freeway.) It's amazing that any automobile safety group would recommend these dime-store computers actually being able to override control of the human driver...! It's doubly stupid when you consider that the most common accident is "following too close" when the guy ahead slams on his brakes. "Experts" my ass...these people who think these cheap computers are better drivers than people are morons--been reading entirely too much science fiction. Today, people don't seem to understand that it is fiction.

Really depends on the person, not the age.

My step dad had no problem driving over 50 miles in heavy traffic to supervise construction jobs when he was in his mid 70's. In his late 60's he made several cross country vacation trips. Never had any problems.

Some people should be on the road no mater what age they are.

Automobile fatalities are the leading cause of death for young people, not older people. It's simple, really: if you've survived 50 years driving on the nation's highways the probabilities are that you are an excellent driver. I do think it's prudent to do some kind of an age check, however. Perhaps having a doctor sign off on all license renewals after a person hits the age of 75 or so, and requiring annual renewals past that age...something needs to be done, certainly.

Automobile fatalities are the leading cause of death for young people, not older people. It's simple, really: if you've survived 50 years driving on the nation's highways the probabilities are that you are an excellent driver. I do think it's prudent to do some kind of an age check, however. Perhaps having a doctor sign off on all license renewals after a person hits the age of 75 or so, and requiring annual renewals past that age...something needs to be done, certainly.

I'm referring to old people that drive 20 MPH under the speed limit, refuse to make any left hand turns because they don't want to use the suicide lane, etc; The next time you're behind a dip-shit driver, take a peek at who's driving it; 10:1, it's an elderly person.

My local auto shop near my house, when i get my morning paper and maybe chat it up, you would be amazed about things customers request to disable on their cars due to annoyance.

Back