Autodesk products now on subscription..

Entilza

Limp Gawd
Well if you missed it you can no longer buy Autocad anymore... It's now totally subscription based. Our company bought a couple more perpetual licenses last week as a precaution.

Not sure how long it will last this way, I assume the subscription fees will just get lower over time if it's not working out. Right now it's fairly high due to the promotions earlier to lock in lower.

Once Adobe started the subscription model, it was just a matter of time before everyone else followed.

Autodesk desperately wanted everyone to upgrade to the latest version of AutoCAD every year. However, my company, and many others I deal with, are fine with running versions that are several years behind. I know an old engineer who is still running AutoCAD 14.....not 2014, but the version that was released in 1998...and he's perfectly happy. :)

Revit, however, is completely different. Now, you are pretty much required to upgrade each year since there is no backwards compatibility with older versions.

Yeah... Companies I deal with for AutoCAD usually have 1 or 2 token licenses kept up-to-date for drawings sent by clients, but internally function multiple versions behind, cause there's just no reason for them to upgrade them with the type of work they do. What's wrong with AutoCAD 14? ;)

Cash grab that this is.

What kills me about adobe is that it goes from 20 bucks a month for one app to 79.99 for all. There is no middle ground and at the same time is one app really worth renting for $240/year? I mean I could just buy the app one time for that price, and I actually would rather do that.

I'm not sure when this yearly upgrade thing took everything by storm. I agree you used to have software for years now if you are using "Product 2014" You sound as if you are so dated.

We've noticed that with Revit about the backyard compatibility, we are having a hard time convincing Autocad users to even try Revit. I am not an autocad user just the IT/programmer.

The other thing I was disappointed in was Autocad 2016 was already crashing and I had to put in some registry settings to disable "InfoCenter" , which disables the whole 360 login system. No more crashes for now.

Back