Auto-Wireless connection, but I want it wired....

McRackin

Limp Gawd
I just formatted my computer and upon completion my PC connects to my wireless router automatically with the wireless connection. It is hardwired to the router and that's the connection I would prefer. Where do I find the options to change this? I feel like I've looked everywhere.

Vista

Maybe I'll try connecting my cable directly into the modem instead of the wireless on setup...

I agree with just disabling the wireless adapter except when you want to use it.

You want your computer going through the router. Either disable your wireless adapter or tell it not to auto connect when in range

Not sure if Vista is the same as 7, but I think it was the same back to XP even...

In the Network Connections window, you can go to Advanced -> Advanced Settings and set the order in which network connections are accessed. Set the wired higher than the wireless, and Windows should prefer the cable over the WiFi.

If you want to be sure, disabling the wireless NIC is the best way. The new Dell laptops have a BIOS option to automatically disable the WiFi card when the wired NIC is plugged in.

My problem was with my lan card. Drivers needed to be updated after the format lol. That's why it was automatically using the wireless. Fixed

Back