auto import information from email

iansilv

Limp Gawd
does anyone have any suggestions on how to take an email with data in it and have the values imported in to the database, creating a record as the are imported? I want to take a constistently formatted email and have each one's information be automatically imported in to a database. Anyone know how to do this?

What kind of DB is it?

If the DB is a MySQL DB, you can use MySQL GUI Tools.

Go to MySQL Query Browser -> Tools -> RegEx Text Importer to build insert queries from any data file according to a regular expression.

If it's not MySQL, I'm sure Toad (database admin client software, google it) has some kind of import/query building utility but I'm not sure where it is.

Barring those solutions above, you'll need to write some kind of script that can process the email, interpret it, interface with the database, and insert it into the database.

I have done lots of stuff with emails via C++ and automation (COM). Pretty easy and lots of info on the web on it. Regarding using a off-the-shelf tool to do this, I am not knowledgeable enough to speak to that.

What "client" are you using for the email (or is a server going to check the email)? Also, what programming language do you use?

Also, look into RegEx.

Back