Auto Fan Control for 48xx: a guide

ribbell:

worked a bit on the SLi deal this afternoon.
used the optimized dynamic control rules under the low level, with cloning enabled.

worked as advertised.
confirmed by GPU-z that both cards are ramping up their fans and the hardware monitor in RT notes a nice duty cycle curve.
only problem is the 8800 GTs have god-awful fans and sound like mini leaf blowers when they are ramped to 100%.:eek:

thanks again for the advice.;)
I'm glad it worked for SLI too :)

Are you using Rivatuner 2.10 or 2.11?

The new v2.11.

With rivatuner 2.11 in the main tab you should see three adapters

That's the weird thing. I don't have that at all. I have two "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series / Generic PnP Monitor" targets.

And, if I go into the first one, and manually adjust the fan settings via "Fixed", the primary target causes fan speed changes. Which goes along with you guesses.

I think I may have sort different issues. When I run 3DMark vantage benchmarks, I get about half the score that other X2 users get. I may have to look deeper into this.

Thanks for your help, but it'll back out until I can be sure that my install is as it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the kindness, though.

Hey ribbell, first of all.. very nice guide(s)

Do you have any idea why i cant change the Auto Fancontrol Parameters for my 4870x2? im using 2.11. I can select them but noway to edit them.

Hey ribbell, first of all.. very nice guide(s)

Do you have any idea why i cant change the Auto Fancontrol Parameters for my 4870x2? im using 2.11. I can select them but noway to edit them.
Maybe you forgot to unlock the auto control parameters:

Open Rivatuner, click on power user tab, find the group "Rivatuner \ Fan" , expand it by clicking on the "+" sign and change the value of the parameter "AutoFanSpeedControl" to 3 by double clicking on the right column

You have to close and restart Rivatuner in order for the new setting to take effect.

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. Not only did I learn some more about rivatuner, its a great way to control the fan on the 4870x2, which can become a leaf blower at high fan speeds.

So thanks!

When setting RT 2.11 to Automatic Optimized fan control for a single 4870X2, should the variable EnableFanControlCloning be set to 1?

Thanks.

When setting RT 2.11 to Automatic Optimized fan control for a single 4870X2, should the variable EnableFanControlCloning be set to 1?

Thanks.
It should be set to 0 because 4870 x2 has only 1 fan controller

It should be set to 0 because 4870 x2 has only 1 fan controller

That is the variable AutoFanSpeedControl. Right?

I'm talking about the variable EnableFanControlCloning.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry, I did not read right ur reply.

By the way, great guide u make here. Thanks.

I'm having troubles modifying the auto fan profiles

You said "
Open Rivatuner, click on power user tab, find the group "Rivatuner \ Fan" , expand it by clicking on the "+" sign and change the value of the parameter "AutoFanSpeedControl" to 3 by double clicking on the right column:

Now close and restart Rivatuner. Congratulations: the auto fan control rules have been unlocked.
Now open the low level settings window: it is enough to click on the little arrow on the right under the active display adapter and left click on the first button:"

I've done this but it does not seem to work.

I've done this but it does not seem to work.
You mean you're still unable to edit the parameters listed in the auto fan speed control rules
window?
Can you post a screenshot of the fan tab in the low level fan tweaks window?

You mean you're still unable to edit the parameters listed in the auto fan speed control rules
window?
Can you post a screenshot of the fan tab in the low level fan tweaks window?

Thanks for your quick response! It works now that I've restarted my computer. Previously, I only closed the program and started it again.

Thanks once again but this time for the great open-source software. :D

First of all thanks for this guide it helped me a lot so far.

My problem is that Riva tuner keeps resetting the T_min to 0 and the PWM_mode to 1 after I restart my system. I made sure the "apply fan settings at windows startup" is on but even still it changes the profile after i restart my system. Is there anything I did wrong perhaps? Is this a known problem and can you perhaps give a solution please.

Regards,

Mike

P.S. I own a Radeon Sapphire 4870 HD 512 mb if thats of any use.

First of all thanks for this guide it helped me a lot so far.

My problem is that Riva tuner keeps resetting the T_min to 0 and the PWM_mode to 1 after I restart my system. I made sure the "apply fan settings at windows startup" is on but even still it changes the profile after i restart my system. Is there anything I did wrong perhaps? Is this a known problem and can you perhaps give a solution please.

Regards,

Mike

P.S. I own a Radeon Sapphire 4870 HD 512 mb if thats of any use.
Can you give me the values of all parameters you changed in auto fan control tab?

Sure:

PWM mode 2
PWM Hysteresis 0
PWM Ramp on 1
PWM Ramp 1
Duty cycle 100% 135
Dutycycle min 35
Spinup cycle 80
Spinup time 2
T min 30
T max 67
T slope 28
T hysteresis 0

Sure:

PWM mode 2
PWM Hysteresis 0
PWM Ramp on 1
PWM Ramp 1
Duty cycle 100% 135
Dutycycle min 35
Spinup cycle 80
Spinup time 2
T min 30
T max 67
T slope 28
T hysteresis 0
These values seem ok to me. After you checked the option "Apply fan settings at windows startup" have you saved the startup settings by clicking on the save button?

Yes i have done all that, after each system restart I first go to pwm mode 1 and the fan starts on the manual mode (which i set at 100%). Then I go to RT and I trie to apply my saved profile but then somehow it goes to some other setting and then finally when I have applied my profile for the second time it sets itself at my preferred settings. However sometimes this even changes after I quit playing my game. Can this have something to do with vista perhaps?

Yes i have done all that, after each system restart I first go to pwm mode 1 and the fan starts on the manual mode (which i set at 100%). Then I go to RT and I trie to apply my saved profile but then somehow it goes to some other setting and then finally when I have applied my profile for the second time it sets itself at my preferred settings. However sometimes this even changes after I quit playing my game. Can this have something to do with vista perhaps?
Let's try another way: after you applied your desired fan control values, save a profile for these values and uncheck "Apply fan settings at windows startup" , then in the launcher tab create an item associated to this profile, finally in the scheduler tab create a task that lauches the item just created at rivatuner startup. Be sure to check "run at windows startup" in the settings tab.
Lemme know if this method works for you.

So is there any way to have the new settings applied after resuming from sleep? If I put the computer to sleep, then resume, the fan goes back to default (loud) settings. This is on a HD4850. Any help would be a appreciated.

So is there any way to have the new settings applied after resuming from sleep? If I put the computer to sleep, then resume, the fan goes back to default (loud) settings. This is on a HD4850. Any help would be a appreciated.
Which Riva version are you using?
Have you tried checking the box "restore fan settings after suspended mode" in the fan tab?

2.21, and i tried that but it just sets everything back to normal, or does not do anything, from what I can tell.

I think I figured it out. I had to make sure that Riva was running, or minimized to the Tray, for the fan settings to be restored after resuming from sleep (S3).

Back