Autmoatic Private Address

Snikku

Limp Gawd
Hey im at a lan prty right now and my friend is having that evil problem of the deathly autmoatic private ip with the 169.254....

I had this problem before but i forbogt how to fix it uh...

please help friendly m8s

there is a problem with him communicating with the DHCP server. Try restarting to fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, make sure all the patch cables are connected properly and that his NIC is working correctly. If it's just him getting the APIPA then it's something with his computer.

If its happening with multiple machines, verify that the DCHP server isn't acting as an active game server. I've seen this before and it turned out that all the game traffic was inpeeding the clients' DHCP resolution leaving them off the network until we gave them static IPs.

wtf its happened again but now its on my computer at home...
it worked last night, I restarted my computer when I went to sleep i wake up and I get this APIPA shit...

makes no sense I didn't change anything around
yes i DCHP and everything enabled w/e

Please help :(

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I can see the computers on network its just my ip is 169.254...

thats means I can access the internet or do anything else

rofl rofl

I just restart the router like 8 times and hit repiar on the network setting 10 times...

and it works

why must it be so annoying :mad: :mad: :mad:

I work at the McDonalds of IT, tech support and I see a lot of issues with 169, usually a powercycle fixes it, if not sometimes reinstaling TCP/IP (depending on O/S) does it.

Originally posted by Leb_CRX
I work at the McDonalds of IT, tech support and I see a lot of issues with 169, usually a powercycle fixes it, if not sometimes reinstaling TCP/IP (depending on O/S) does it.

That link to the software I pisted above will fix the TCP/IP system and resolve these problems in every OS from 95 to XP. It is easier to run than to reinstall. Just an FYI if you want to play around with it. I can get you a link to the software writer as well.

Back