Auros 1080ti Xtreme Unstable

sze5003

n00b
Just received my Gigabyte/Auros 1080ti Xtreme card yesterday. Clean install of windows, updated all drivers and the card is unstable at stock settings. I could not even run Heaven 4.0 without it exiting out the program. Same thing with Firestrike..it tells me the user cancelled the test.

So I tried playing BF 1 and it also crashes after loading a map. This was when the card was in OC mode which increases the GPU clock to 1746.

If I set it to "Game" mode where the gpu clock is 1721 I can run benches and play my games without issues. Also if I underclock it. As soon as I increase the GPU clock close to their "OC" mode clocks its unstable.

I also tried increasing the voltage all the way and setting power target to 120 to try the "OC" mode clock and same thing, crashes on benches.

Curious, anyone else get this card? Thinking of doing an RMA from Newegg. Too bad its replacement only, because they are out of stock.

Have you tried updating the card's BIOS? I flashed mine a week ago: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-X-11GD#support-dl

I'm connected via DisplayPort, I think the AXH is the one that would work if you're using DisplayPort.

Yup I tried the F3 bios and then the F4 beta bios. With the F4 beta bios I was able to play a game and run benches at stock clocks. With the original bios and the F3 bios all my benches would crash and BF1 would also freeze up and eventually crash on the stock clocks. Any manual movement from stock for example from Game mode to OC mode would cause instability. Manually setting the clocks also caused the same problem.

Contacted Newegg today and sent the card back for a replacement. Hopefully I can get a replacement if not, I hope they refund me the whole price. It came with a free game but I didn't use the code.

Has your card experienced any issues?

PSU make & model and also can you monitor voltages as mentioned above ?
EDIT: When did you buy the PSU ? (Was it abused ? ie: mining)

You need to list your PSU. I just upgraded from a 980 ti G1 gaming to a asus 1080 ti strix and the pull the 1080 ti has on the 12v is strong. I'm using an AX1200 and the pull on the 12v is no joke I've seen it dip then bounce back up.

You need to list your PSU. I just upgraded from a 980 ti G1 gaming to a asus 1080 ti strix and the pull the 1080 ti has on the 12v is strong. I'm using an AX1200 and the pull on the 12v is no joke I've seen it dip then bounce back up.

Yea, I know. The stuff in my signature is not correct anymore. I now have a Seasonic X-850 850W PSU. Previously I had a corsair TX 750. But I swapped out my PSU to the Seasonic one since I wanted to clean up my case and get a modular model. I should update my signature now.

My previous card, EVGA 1070 FTW was able to overclock and perform fine at stable and at OC speeds with both power supplies.

Yea, I know. The stuff in my signature is not correct anymore. I now have a Seasonic X-850 850W PSU. Previously I had a corsair TX 750. But I swapped out my PSU to the Seasonic one since I wanted to clean up my case and get a modular model. I should update my signature now.

My previous card, EVGA 1070 FTW was able to overclock and perform fine at stable and at OC speeds with both power supplies.

This is your PSU?

https://seasonic.com/product/x-850/#tab-product_form_297_tab

That PSU does 71A on the 12 v line.

In terms of power draw a 1070 is no 1080 ti, in fact I can't seem to find a requirement on the number of amps needed for any 1080 ti...

Have you tried running furmark for an hour to see if you system is stable?

Does origin have an option to check the game files? they could be corrupt. Yes video games files can get corrupt over normal usage. start there and then try furmark ifd you still have trouble.

Product page lists 600W psu being the minimum

https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=170&t=27&t2=&t3=

It does not list amperage required, I don't know why companies have stopped listing this... I see this creating more problems for end users soon.

By the way here's some posts you might want to check out

http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming-graphics-cards/support-ab/41964-aorus-graphics-engine-problems

Let us know if you've fixed the problem.

Last edited:
This is your PSU?

https://seasonic.com/product/x-850/#tab-product_form_297_tab

That PSU does 71A on the 12 v line.

In terms of power draw a 1070 is no 1080 ti, in fact I can't seem to find a requirement on the number of amps needed for any 1080 ti...

Have you tried running furmark for an hour to see if you system is stable?

Does origin have an option to check the game files? they could be corrupt. Yes video games files can get corrupt over normal usage. start there and then try furmark ifd you still have trouble.

Product page lists 600W psu being the minimum

https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=170&t=27&t2=&t3=

It does not list amperage required, I don't know why companies have stopped listing this... I see this creating more problems for end users soon.

By the way here's some posts you might want to check out

http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming-graphics-cards/support-ab/41964-aorus-graphics-engine-problems

Let us know if you've fixed the problem.

This is the PSU I purchased, possibly the same one you linked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETEFTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At first I could not even run Futuremark before updating to the Beta F4 Bios. I ran it several times after that at the stock clocks and it ran fine. Games also ran at these stock clocks after the F4 Beta bios. All the games were freshly installed as I had just done a clean installation of windows.

I'll check out those posts you mentioned. I also saw two people with the same issue on Reddit. Same thing with a few reviews on newegg. Same symptoms and behavior as I experienced with the card.

I RMA'ed the card today and I have to see what Newegg will do for me. They said I will get a new one as a replacement but they have not been in stock.

If they refund me what other model should I go for?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It sounds to me like an immature bios with the card. If that is the problem your best action would be to wait for a bios fix since you already have the card. Can you post the links to people on Reddit so others can see if they are looking to solve this problem.

Auros is a sub brand of gigabyte and they do like to do frequent bios releases. But you have to ask yourself: Why they created the Auros brand to begin with?

Last edited:
I just sent the card back to Newegg on RMA today. They only have the F3 and F4 beta bios available and I tried both. But apparently there are other customers that have not had issues with their orders. Here is the reddit link. There are other threads in that section for the same issue.

I thought the same thing, when did Auros come into play from Gigabyte. I thought they either were bought out or maybe just outsourced?

There are also two reviews on newegg describing the same issue.

Yup I tried the F3 bios and then the F4 beta bios. With the F4 beta bios I was able to play a game and run benches at stock clocks. With the original bios and the F3 bios all my benches would crash and BF1 would also freeze up and eventually crash on the stock clocks. Any manual movement from stock for example from Game mode to OC mode would cause instability. Manually setting the clocks also caused the same problem.

Contacted Newegg today and sent the card back for a replacement. Hopefully I can get a replacement if not, I hope they refund me the whole price. It came with a free game but I didn't use the code.

Has your card experienced any issues?

I did initially- I used the free game code on Ghost Recon Wildlands and was playing that to test things out. I had it on OC mode at first, and during the time I'd end up locking up hard where I'd have to manually restart my machine. However, when I got around to updating to the F4 Beta BIOS, the game had a update pushed out and I haven't locked up since then.

I did initially- I used the free game code on Ghost Recon Wildlands and was playing that to test things out. I had it on OC mode at first, and during the time I'd end up locking up hard where I'd have to manually restart my machine. However, when I got around to updating to the F4 Beta BIOS, the game had a update pushed out and I haven't locked up since then.

That is odd but glad yours is working fine. Mine would lock up in games and benches before I flashed any bios on both OC and Game modes, Silent mode seemed ok. Then after the F4 Bios it would only crash/lockup on OC mode. I'm now waiting for a replacement (doubt it will be in stock by the time my RMA arrives) or a refund so I can get another card.

I got my auorus 1080ti non extreme from newegg about a week and a half ago. No issues like you guys are having. I was able to overclock mine an additional +60 core and it runs fine. I get 2038 peak core and 2000 average and dips down to 1987 at the lowest while playing sniper elite 4 maxed out for about 1 hour. Temp stops at 69c and i have my fan manually set to 75. I have not touched bioses, but I will be trying the beta bios to see if i can get my overclock any higher, cause right now any higher than +60 and it freezes.

Mine works perfectly, no issues here, though I haven't tried the software but I couldn't be bothered with it, my card works perfectly as intended.

question is can i flash the extreme edition bios onto my non extreme card?

I got my auorus 1080ti non extreme from newegg about a week and a half ago. No issues like you guys are having. I was able to overclock mine an additional +60 core and it runs fine. I get 2038 peak core and 2000 average and dips down to 1987 at the lowest while playing sniper elite 4 maxed out for about 1 hour. Temp stops at 69c and i have my fan manually set to 75. I have not touched bioses, but I will be trying the beta bios to see if i can get my overclock any higher, cause right now any higher than +60 and it freezes.

One guy on AnandTech was able to get his to +275 on the gpu clock. Mine would barely do +25 without crashing. I could not use OC mode at all and it would fail benches and crash my games before updating the BIOS on any mode.

Dunno how long i will be stuck with Intel graphics. Hopefully newegg can send me a replacement once my RMA arrives tomorrow.

question is can i flash the extreme edition bios onto my non extreme card?

If the support page for the Non Xtreme does not have the same BIOS then I would not flash it. Also, I don't think it matters how you flash (DVI or HDMI). People reported flashing on Display port without issues. I don't get their instructions at all.

I tried it say incompatible. I remember on my 1080 I had an Eva card but flashed the strix bios to it for a better oc cause it offered higher stock voltage

I'm waiting on Newegg now to process my RMA. It arrived Friday in CA. I see that the card is now on Backorder on the website which probably means they will send me a replacement once mine is processed. I just hope I don't end up with a second one that is unstable. That would really be disappointing and at that point I wish they still allowed refunds, at least on items that could be defective.

Well it looks like the card was not in stock when my RMA arrived so I got a refund. I paid $750 though because of the game codes. The refund was only $690 since Newegg said they do not refund shipping. I had to contact them and have them refund the game codes too because I did not use them. They told me they also would be refunded but I have not seen that come in yet.

just an update, I picked up a 2nd one from amazon, and did a overclock comparo between the 2. The max stable overclock I could get on my card from newegg was 60 core and 525 memory. The one i got from amazon I was able to clock in at 100 core and 500 memory. Benchmark #'s come out within 1% of eachother, so :\

I'm not sure what model card to go with now. Don't feel like waiting for EVGA and all the others are out of stock.

I have an Aorus Xtreme 1080Ti too. No problem encountered so far.
Running off a 1050w Seasonic PSU that used to run 2 Titan Keplar in SLI

Also, I don't think I need to set to OC mode, even on Gaming mode, the clock will go to 2kMhz on Boost 3.0

I ended up ordering the Asus strix oc model after my refund. Hopefully no issues with this one when it arrives.

Non-Extreme Aorus 1080Ti here as well, zero stability problems in the 4 days of testing I've had it. Runs in both Game and OC mode fine, I leave it in game mode though as it pegs 1950mhz on it's own in games and benchmarks. Bought it on the Egg, running Corsair HX850i with it.

I too have the Extreme Aorus 1080ti and just in the past few days have been crashing to desktop while playing Division. I think it's the factory overclock that was causing the problems. I used MSI Afterburner and reduced the Core clock and Memory clock by 100mhz, and that fixed it for me. I played all last night without any crashes.

Maybe it does have something to do with the PSU? I have an older 750w Corsair power supply. Do I need to get a new one?

EDIT: forgot to mention I even had the F4 BIOS installed and was still getting crashes.

I too have the Extreme Aorus 1080ti and just in the past few days have been crashing to desktop while playing Division. I think it's the factory overclock that was causing the problems. I used MSI Afterburner and reduced the Core clock and Memory clock by 100mhz, and that fixed it for me. I played all last night without any crashes.

Maybe it does have something to do with the PSU? I have an older 750w Corsair power supply. Do I need to get a new one?

EDIT: forgot to mention I even had the F4 BIOS installed and was still getting crashes.

Not sure if you need a new PSU. My corsair 750 ran both the evga 1070 ftw and the gigabyte xtreme but I experienced crashes on both by corsair and my new psu the Seasonic X-850. I had to RMA the card. I ended up with a refund and got the Asus Strix OC edition. Runs in all the modes, game, OC, silent without crashes. My games run fine as well, no issues. I'm getting a little over 100fps on BF1 at 1440p 144hz, depending on the map.

Not sure if you need a new PSU. My corsair 750 ran both the evga 1070 ftw and the gigabyte xtreme but I experienced crashes on both by corsair and my new psu the Seasonic X-850. I had to RMA the card. I ended up with a refund and got the Asus Strix OC edition. Runs in all the modes, game, OC, silent without crashes. My games run fine as well, no issues. I'm getting a little over 100fps on BF1 at 1440p 144hz, depending on the map.

Dang wicked beast of a card!

Dang wicked beast of a card!

It is a nice card although I'm not sure I'm getting the FPS I should be. On some maps in BF 1 on Ultra at 1440p I can dip down into the 60's or sometimes a bit lower. Thought that was strange. Running the latest nvidia drivers and making sure my scale is set to 100%. It usually around 70-100 and then back down on the more intense maps. But I'm not sure what should be the normal rate.

It is a nice card although I'm not sure I'm getting the FPS I should be. On some maps in BF 1 on Ultra at 1440p I can dip down into the 60's or sometimes a bit lower. Thought that was strange. Running the latest nvidia drivers and making sure my scale is set to 100%. It usually around 70-100 and then back down on the more intense maps. But I'm not sure what should be the normal rate.

I think it varies wildly because it's a multiplayer game; you also have to chalk it up to game optimization as well to a certain extent.

I think it varies wildly because it's a multiplayer game; you also have to chalk it up to game optimization as well to a certain extent.

I concur. It all depends on the games. I get the same dips in FPS with my 1070 clocked @ 2100/4500, but it's still smooth as butter. Also using the latest nvidia drivers.

I've got the non-extreme version, and so far so good. Main problem I've seen is because I'm using an older HP ZR2740w Monitor, the display port connections don't sync up correctly. Everything is working over DVI thou, and I've got an older OSVR headset that seems to be ok on the card's primary HDMI output.

After some more messing around in BF 1.. I'm not sure what to conclude as to why my FPS sticks around the 70 mark then drops down to 60 and sometimes even 50 or lower. That's when it starts to get some stuttering. According to benches and other users I should easily be getting 90 to over 100 on 1440p with this card. Going to try a clean windows install. But yesterday the game was barely playable. I also overclocked my cpu to 4.5ghz. Usage of the cpu sticks around 70% in game. Not sure why today it wouldn't really go above 70fps, dropping way too often. Doom usually stays around 90-105fps but that is not such an intensive game.

Back