Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

Update-

I called Auria again. After just letting the phone sit for about 30 seconds after calling the number, it finally began to ring. Someone from the service department called me and we discussed the issue. Basically, we need to be very careful about ventilation and overheating. I have my computer in a hutch and the large monitor didn't get enough ventilation to stay cool. (never had this problem with any other monitor)

The tech says it'll probably be about $20 in parts and $20 in labor. Return shipping is about $45 to MD, so about the equal amount to ship it to him. So about $130 out of pocket for the repair. I am thinking about paying someone locally to do it if it's a relatively simple electronic repair to save money, but maybe it's better not to be cheap at this point. I am just concerned about shipping.

Wow after reading about the power supply problems and the LED confusion I guess I am glad I passed on it.

I had my Auria checked out by a local tech. He says the main board has a short circuit and needs to be replaced. He browsed a few forums and thinks a replacement might be about $100 plus installation. He recommended that it probably was worth replacing. I'm not sure I agree since a replacement with similar specs runs at least $450. But I don't trust the reliability of this at this point. I was thinking to sell it for space parts for $150 on ebay and see if anyone bites. I have heard the LED/glossy version can use the boards from the overclocked 27 inchers.

He said the failure was most likely not heat related, so buyer beware. Honestly, I recommend everyone sell theirs now and buy a better quality monitor before you have my experience.

I had my Auria checked out by a local tech. He says the main board has a short circuit and needs to be replaced. He browsed a few forums and thinks a replacement might be about $100 plus installation. He recommended that it probably was worth replacing. I'm not sure I agree since a replacement with similar specs runs at least $450. But I don't trust the reliability of this at this point. I was thinking to sell it for space parts for $150 on ebay and see if anyone bites. I have heard the LED/glossy version can use the boards from the overclocked 27 inchers.

He said the failure was most likely not heat related, so buyer beware. Honestly, I recommend everyone sell theirs now and buy a better quality monitor before you have my experience.

Honestly, what did you expect from a $400 monitor which other companies sell for $1000?

I bought this knowing well that it wouldn't have the quality and lifespan of more expensive displays, which is exactly why I bought the 3 year warranty from microcenter. I bought mine open box for $320 (the last glossy led they had) but it has a purple tint on it so they exchanged it immediately for a brand new sealed one since I had the warranty (anti glare).

Now if I have any problems until March 2016, they'll give me a brand new one, or if they don't have it in stock, they will give me a gift card with the purchase price.

So, I discovered that Overlord Computers sells a 120hz board that should be compatible with the panel in my Auria. (glossy version)
http://overlordcomputer.com/products/overlord-pcb-set

I have been emailing them pictures back and forth and they confirm that it will work with a few mods. I will lose multi-input but gain up to 120hz refresh rate.

Negatives:
-No warranty and no return (understandable given how abusive users can be)
-$195 plus shipping ($10)
-Loss of multi-input

Pros:
-My American Express card will give me 90 days free returns (uncertain on 1 year warranty)
-No need to buy a new, more expensive glossy monitor to replace the Auria outright
-Support American company
-120hz support
-Better quality components

What does anyone think?

So, I discovered that Overlord Computers sells a 120hz board that should be compatible with the panel in my Auria. (glossy version)
http://overlordcomputer.com/products/overlord-pcb-set

I have been emailing them pictures back and forth and they confirm that it will work with a few mods. I will lose multi-input but gain up to 120hz refresh rate.

Negatives:
-No warranty and no return (understandable given how abusive users can be)
-$195 plus shipping ($10)
-Loss of multi-input

Pros:
-My American Express card will give me 90 days free returns (uncertain on 1 year warranty)
-No need to buy a new, more expensive glossy monitor to replace the Auria outright
-Support American company
-120hz support
-Better quality components

What does anyone think?

120hz 1440p? I hope you have SLI TITANs in your rig.

Used to have 7870LE crossfire, but hated dealing with the heat and other issues. I just dial back the settings till I get 40-45 fps or so, and I'm happy.

Is that the only negative?

Used to have 7870LE crossfire, but hated dealing with the heat and other issues. I just dial back the settings till I get 40-45 fps or so, and I'm happy.

Is that the only negative?

If you're not breaking +60fps / hz then you're missing the point of a 120hz monitor. Save your money.

If you're not breaking +60fps / hz then you're missing the point of a 120hz monitor. Save your money.

I am more excited about the benefits in 2D. Plus 120 allows Vsync at different rates (30hz, 40hz, 60hz) without tearing. I have always hated it when my fps drops to 30fps if I can't get a solid 60fps on my card. 40fps is tolerable for me vs 30fps.

So, I called up American Express. (They already refunded the original $360 purchase price thanks to the extended warranty coverage of the card). They have told me the Overlord PCB will get a 1 year warranty and 90 day return protection.

I'm going to purchase tonight as I don't see any risks at this point.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I am more excited about the benefits in 2D. Plus 120 allows Vsync at different rates (30hz, 40hz, 60hz) without tearing. I have always hated it when my fps drops to 30fps if I can't get a solid 60fps on my card. 40fps is tolerable for me vs 30fps.

Hey maybe you know something I don't.... but I am of the understanding that VSYNC means a lock at 60hz. If the fps dips too low below that you could still get stutter and tearing, right?

Now GSYNC is a whole different beast obviously and allows for floating/adaptive VSYNC at different frequencies.

So I dunno, even if you mod the monitor to support 120hz but your rig won't break 60fps, is it worth the effort? Can you set a VSYNC lower than 60hz?

I picked up what looks to be the new version of this monitor, the EQ276WN, yesterday at Micro Center.

Its pretty decent. A little bit of backlight glow but the antiglare coating isn't grainy and it has nice color to it. It looks like the power supply is integrated into the monitor as it just uses a standard power cable.

I have had some trouble getting it to work with my Macbook Air at the native resolution. It is supposed to be able to support 2880x1620 but the best I can get out of it is 2560x1440. My friend is going to let me test it with his Dell M4700 which has a regular display port so it shouldn't have the same limitations of the older Thunderbolt port hopefully.

Overall I think its pretty nice for a $400 monitor, but I will try to get the $90 extended warranty after reading through this thread about the previous version.

...It is supposed to be able to support 2880x1620 but the best I can get out of it is 2560x1440. My friend is going to let me test it with his Dell M4700 which has a regular display port so it shouldn't have the same limitations of the older Thunderbolt port hopefully.

??? The max resolution on that panel is 2560x1440 regardless of what you have it plugged in to...
Nice find though. Glad to see a new version of this.

edit, my mistake, the Microcenter page says 2560x1440, but the factory specs do say 2880x1620. That's pretty sick if accurate.

Hm, TFT Central doesn't list a 27" panel at 2880, and EQD shows a few hi-res panels that have been vaporware for quite some time now. Guess I might have to stop by Microcenter tomorrow.

Last edited:
EQ276WN Documentation

Those are the instructions that came with the monitor. It does mention 2880x1620 in there as well as on the box.

I think either the Macbook Air has a limit on how high a resolution it can go, or the mini display port to full size display port adapter that I am using is somehow imposing a limit. Or OSX might simply not be offering me that resolution because it can't detect the monitor properly.. Apple's docs do state that the Thunderbolt port is DP1.1 which is supposed to be max 2560x1600.

Sadly they didn't have one on display at my local Micro Center (Denver) but they do have a lot of these in stock if you want to try it as well. I was originally going to get the HP 27" panel (they were selling it at the same price) but they were out of them and had this one instead.

1620p for $400??????? Someone please go buy one and tell me if this works!

What about refresh rate? Feel free to push it up and see what happens? Curious minds want to know!

I'm glad they got rid of the external power brick. Not so happy about the left orientation of the inputs... eh we'll see.

Ok, the monitor does support 1620p under Windows just fine. I think it is doing some kind of scaling but its a nice option to have if you need the extra real estate. Here is a screenshot of the display as it shows in the display control panel:

EQ276WN 2880x1620

Purchased the EQ276WN tonight via Micro-Center for $399, I can confirm this monitor does do 2880 x 1620 though it looks nowhere near as sharp and defined as the native resolution which the edid shows at 2560 x 1440. I owned the original EQ276W, and I do like this new version a lot better. Has a much better OSD and looks like it has better contrast and colors out of the box. They also did a much better job with the input placement, the original was horrible IMO in this regard. My screen has no back light bleed or dead pixels that I've noticed so far. The version I have is a glossy screen, it does appear to me that they have substantially improved the overall clarity in this newer version, looks crystal clear. Honestly, almost too clear. The best thing I've noticed so far, absolutely zero banding on anything - perfect in this regard.

Here's some game pictures I took tonight playing AirLandBattle:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3332966014119429617/36E5AA97179CD349065174BC21A2DAA698BEB680/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3332966014118212652/2DB3EE3D14B9BF53A27A6DF3677AA15359E5C25D/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3332966014118202897/82012909B143B88AB2FCB319176F5FA5C1B11564/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3332966014118207471/962C556E6519FD0FDAF3B6B5D45C6579CC5DF81D/

Last edited:
That's what I meant, in game shots. This monitor is exceptional, I have to say, I'm much more impressed with this year's version. That said, please don't buy this monitor thinking it will look good at 2880x1620, it looks like crap in this mode, don't know what it really would be useful for in all honesty in its current state.

REAL tempted on the new Auria. Just saw those at MC today. I mainly game on the right I'd use it on, so I'm not sure it'd be worth it to replace my BenQ 2420T, but.....that resolution....all that real estate......plus with 4k possibly coming around in the next couple of years......bah!

Well my 27 inch Auria IPS monitor that I bought from Micro Center in April of 2013 decided to die on me late yesterday. Fortunately, I bought a protection plan which enabled me to return it today and buy a new monitor with a credit of over $400. The sales people are excellent at the Patterson, NJ store and I was able to get an "open box" Asus PB278Q. The Auria was fine until last evening. I haven't tinkered with the Asus yet. It's a tad brighter than the Auria but overall, really looks to be a more than worthy replacement for the Auria.

The EQ276W isn't sold any longer, it seems. MC now sells the EQ276WN instead. I picked one up at the St. Davids PA store. The purpose is strictly work, meaning 2D, text/source editing etc.

I hooked it up via DisplayPort (cable was included along with DVI, no VGA). There is no power brick, the power cord directly plugs into the monitor.

The stand is crap really, but at least it lets you tilt the monitor; there is no height adjustment.

The OSD is okay. User-adjustable color, brightness, contrast, all there. There's a pixel overdrive mode, I suspect it's thrown in for gamers, I'm not going to use it.

Picture quality seems really excellent so far. Small text (8pt text in my Visual Studio output window) is very readable and clear. 11pt fonts also look excellent.
Colors are distinct, brilliant and seem up to what I expect from an IPS. I use a Dell 2413M at home, and in terms of colors and sharpness, this screen doesn't lag behind in a way that I would notice. High-res shots of the Philadelphia flower show look absolutely brilliant.

The screen defaulted to 2560x1440, which also is the native resolution. You can pick a higher one, but that looks like complete shit. It's a marketing "feature", forget it. Standard 2560x1440 looks wonderful.

I can't find any dead pixels.

Screen and bezel are VERY GLOSSY. If you can't stand that, forget this monitor. I can live with it, albeit a little grumbling. A little AG coating would've been nice. But I'll deal just fine.

Is this worth $400? If you are OK with a shitty stand and the gloss, most definitely for 2D work. It's on a work machine, so I don't really have 3D games installed to check lag/ghosting. I trust it's not a good application for a $400 27" IPS, but I haven't tested at all.

I have the EQ276WN and it has noticably more input lag than the W version, at least to me, I have the screen hooked up via display port in case anybody was wondering

i don't think it has a "gaming mode" either, though it does allow you to adjust the overdrive (options are -2, -1, 0, +1, +2)

I've had my EQ276W for about a 1 1/2 years. It has been a good monitor until recently when half the screen went dim. The led back lighting on the left side has either dimmed or gone out, not sure which. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? I have done several searches and have not any luck.

Has anyone run across a tutorial on removing the case of this monitor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My auria that I bought in Feb 2012 died Sunday evening. I called up Microcenter they had none in stock so I ended up getting a $399 gift card. As disappointed that I was that it died I ended getting a 24in Dell monitor and a new Ducky Keyboard and still have $110 left.

Mine died also. I believe the external power bricks are shorting out the panels

Got an updated model as a replacement

My EQ276W just died last week.. I think it was just the power brick but I'm not sure. I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for it now instead of playing power brick roulette with the options out there.

so... what do you guys mean when you say your monitor died? I had one that would no longer turn on, the image would flicker for an instant, back and forth. Is that the power brick or the monitor? I bought a 3 year warrantee with the thing, I just can't find the receipt... :( I have already replaced it, but would be nice to get money for a graphics card....

The power brick could no longer hold a charge. Previous to it dying, monitor was making buzzing/humming noise from the speakers and the screen started flickering. This started the week of its death. It was quite awesome until last week tbh

Back