Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

I got up this morning to game for a bit before starting the day. My six week old Auria wouldn't wake from sleep. Had not been having any problems with it. After a bit of the usual troubleshooting, I took it to Microcenter thinking I could get it replaced.

They did some testing as well and It boiled down to a dead DVI port. HDMI worked fine with the monitor. I had no extended warranty so it would actually have meant calling Auria for an RMA. The tech at Microcenter was nice enough to talk to his manager about my situation though. I told the tech that I was willing to buy a service agreement even though I already had the monitor for six weeks. They agreed and I was able to walk out of the store with a replacement Auria.

I've never bought a service agreement with any electronic device. This was a first. I have to give kudos to Microcenter for their willingness to help and compromise with me. I've had good experience with Amazon RMAs and other companies but the human touch experience made a difference.

As for the replacement Auria, so far so good and clearly, a faulty unit of any kind for any electronic product is not uncommon, though this was for me. Monitor looks great -- no dead pixels that I can see. For my style of gaming and the price, it's a great bargain. With the service agreement I have now, it'll be no worries for three years. Any problems, I just exchange for a new one and if they go out of production, I have a $400 credit towards another monitor which would almost certainly end up being a higher end unit.

I got up this morning to game for a bit before starting the day. My six week old Auria wouldn't wake from sleep. Had not been having any problems with it. After a bit of the usual troubleshooting, I took it to Microcenter thinking I could get it replaced.

They did some testing as well and It boiled down to a dead DVI port. HDMI worked fine with the monitor. I had no extended warranty so it would actually have meant calling Auria for an RMA. The tech at Microcenter was nice enough to talk to his manager about my situation though. I told the tech that I was willing to buy a service agreement even though I already had the monitor for six weeks. They agreed and I was able to walk out of the store with a replacement Auria.

I've never bought a service agreement with any electronic device. This was a first. I have to give kudos to Microcenter for their willingness to help and compromise with me. I've had good experience with Amazon RMAs and other companies but the human touch experience made a difference.

As for the replacement Auria, so far so good and clearly, a faulty unit of any kind for any electronic product is not uncommon, though this was for me. Monitor looks great -- no dead pixels that I can see. For my style of gaming and the price, it's a great bargain. With the service agreement I have now, it'll be no worries for three years. Any problems, I just exchange for a new one and if they go out of production, I have a $400 credit towards another monitor which would almost certainly end up being a higher end unit.

How much for the 3 yr Svc Agreement? w Taxes? etc?

How much for a 1 or 2 year one?

The three year was $89 which was the route I took. The two year was, I think, $59. Not something I usually do but in this case, it's makes me feel more comfortable about the investment. But to be fair, name brand electronics and components break all the time. I've just never had it happen to me before and it unfortunately happened to me with this monitor.

My Auria went dead after 40~+hrs of being on. After that i restarted the computer so monitor turned off for the first time and never came back on went dead. Returned it for a exchange with a dell 30". For quality, it is on par or slight duller vs the dell but obivously wasnt realible. I really dont have good experience with this monitor. I paid $479.99 at the time so i guess theres a reason why price is dropping.

Maybe I was lucky, but my Auria is still working after more than 6 months. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.
I love the glossy screen. seems much clearer to me. Wish more manufacturers were offering this.

I bought 2 of these at the Tustin MC... they were amazing out of the box.

I did have a problem with the DP cables I bought. Atleast I think it was a cable issue. They were giving me an error every time I turned the monitors on. Sorry for the competitor's thread link. http://www.overclock.net/t/1378809/auria-eq276w-27-ips-led-monitor-displayport-link-failure-problem I do not get the error with 1 DP connected and 1 DVI connected... It's weird.

I'm going to do some color tests tonight to see how nice they colors can get. I'm also installing my new MSI 7970 so I can pick up some higher quality and frames in games.

I replaced the stands with Monoprice extension desk mounts. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=6420&seq=1&format=2

You will have to use the screws off of your monitor when installing the mounts, and you will need a huge phillips to tighten the swivel screw all the way down to prevent droopy monitor syndrome.

I'll put some pictures up when I get home.

I know you guys probably don't know, but I figured I'd ask anyway; I noticed the Auria is out of stock.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Am I screwed on getting one (This is a permanent "out of stock"), or does this happen frequently?

UPDATE: Apparently, it's just "out of stock". The service representative I spoke with said that to their knowledge, it is not "discontinued." An overreaction on my part. Below is the exact conversation.

Daramue: I had a question concerning the AURIA EQ276W 27" monitor.
Daramue: It appears it is out of stock. Do you know when or if you will be getting more?
Charity: That is a great question. I cannot say exactly when because it could be a few days or a couple of weeks. Please check back with us is a couple days.
Daramue: Thank you. To your knowledge, then, it is not discontinued but rather simply out of stock?
Charity: Yes, that is correct as of right now it is not discontinued.

Last edited:
Am I screwed on getting one (This is a permanent "out of stock"), or does this happen frequently?
Yes, it has gone in and out of stock consistently ever since they came out.

Personally right now I would be looking at the Monoprice 27" (or elsewhere) as the current Auria has CCFL backlighting, heavy anti-glare coating, and wide gamut color. (PITA)

Yes, it has gone in and out of stock consistently ever since they came out.

Personally right now I would be looking at the Monoprice 27" (or elsewhere) as the current Auria has CCFL backlighting, heavy anti-glare coating, and wide gamut color. (PITA)

Much appreciated; the monoprice appears to be techinically superior in many regards to the Auria (Displays more colors, for one): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2 This comes at a slight price increase but I'm willing to eat that for the extra features.

However, given what you said, I will definitely give it consideration.

Also I wanted to say to you personally: Thanks a lot! You've really helped me sort through my options over the past month and it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The monoprice appears to be techinically superior in many regards to the Auria (Displays more colors, for one)
I had not seen the 1.07 billion color spec in the monoprice description before; that surprises me as I didn't think wide gamut LED panels had trickled down to the "generic" displays yet. The current Auria is also 1.07 billion colors as it uses the Dell u2711 (CCFL) panel.

"More colors" does not necessarily mean better, and can actually be -less- accurate. (Search the forum for rants from myself and others on wide gamut.)

I had not seen the 1.07 billion color spec in the monoprice description before; that surprises me as I didn't think wide gamut LED panels had trickled down to the "generic" displays yet. The current Auria is also 1.07 billion colors as it uses the Dell u2711 (CCFL) panel.

"More colors" does not necessarily mean better, and can actually be -less- accurate. (Search the forum for rants from myself and others on wide gamut.)

Interesting information in regards to the "Wide color gamut" being less accurate; it appears I have some reading to do.

Given that both the Auria and Monoprice both have 1.07 billion color reproduction, I have noticed a few differences:

AURIA - CCFL lighting, slightly slower response time, Glossy
MONOPRICE - LED Lighting, slightly faster response time, Matte finish

I've read various differing opinion regarding CCFL lighting vs. LED lighting both taking either side (In regards to color reproduction, reliability, product life, etc.) so I'm a bit confused on this front.

The monoprice appears to be slightly better in all regards, albeit only very slightly in some regards. Given the 100 dollar difference, would you still recommend the Monoprice, taking into consideration the color reproduction you now know about it?

Last edited:
AURIA - CCFL lighting, slightly slower response time, Glossy
MONOPRICE - LED Lighting, slightly faster response time, Matte finish

I've read various differing opinion regarding CCFL lighting vs. LED lighting both taking either side
I think you got those reversed - the currently shipping Auria is matte finish. Monoprice is supposed to be glossy.

I have yet to see any real-world reports on the mulit-input Monoprice. With their 30" model(s) they claimed LED backlighting with glossy finish. When people started getting them, they were CCFL with matte finish. So I have zero faith in whatever the specs say on their website until a third party corroborates.

If all the specs are correct (LED, glossy, 10bit) - well, afaik there aren't any common panels with those characteristics. At least in the US. The Dell U2713H is LED and 10bit, but still has antiglare. There is a Hazro (UK) that may fit the bill, and I suppose they could be sourcing that one, given these all come from the same corner of the world. But my suspicion is that at least one of those specs will turn out to be wrong. Given the enclosure is the same as the Auria, is seems not unlikely that they could be using the same panel. (ie, CCFL + matte.)

Personally I wouldn't touch the current Auria (or any wide gamut panel, really.) The heat and warm up time for CCFL is a big turn-off for me. That said, plenty of people have it and seem to like it. The color issues may not bother you in the least.

Likewise, I wouldn't jump on the Monoprice until I see some reviews or comments posted.

If I -had- to buy a multi-input monitor today, it would probably be an eBay Korean model, or a Dell U2713HM (M version = standard gamut.) The Dell has had some issues, but at least you can keep replacing it until you get a good one. But really, right now I would save my $ and wait for awhile.

Ok guys, here's the deal with the monoprice monitor. I got one in last thursday, and Monoprice is full of shit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6286/nixeus-27-inch-ips-monitor-for-the-masses

It's this exact monitor essentially. The brightness might be boosted a tad, but everything else is exactly the same. It's the exact same menu and everything. Same shitty contrast ratio and everything (tested it with my i1Display Pro). While there are no dead pixels or anything, the uniformity is not perfect, and is comparable to the measurements in this review.

Oh, and yeah, it's NOT wide-gamut. It's just the standard 16.7M (even the box says as much). There is not a mention of AdobeRGB or 1.07B anywhere in the manuals or anything. There is nothing in the menu system that has anything to do with colorspace (check for yourself! the screenshots of every single function available in the menu are in the review for the Nixeus monitor)

I'm going to send mine back I think. The contrast ratio is just really bad, and the color temperature is not uniform. I've calibrated it with a good colorimeter, and it just looks flat. Not to mention Monoprice flat out lied about the colorspace abilities, which I'm sure some people would consider an extremely important feature.

Thanks for the update. The lack of wide gamut is a good thing imho, as these cheap(er) monitors don't have the programming to provide alternate color space options, and most people don't have the hardware/software necessary to properly run adobe RGB anyway. So the colors just end up jacked up and oversaturated.

I love my glossy Aurias, so it's good that there is another option for that style display since the Aurias have since switched to anti-glare/wide gamut. I've never objectively tested the contrast, but to me they look pretty comparable to my HP ZR2740W. (minus the AG coating.) I will say the newer one took a lot more tweaking to look as good as the first one, with a much smaller "sweet spot' - so there are obviously production variances, or maybe they are just using crappier panels in these newer models.

Well, i don't necessarily disagree with you about the wide gamut part, but I bet there were some aspiring photo editors out there who jumped on these for that reason alone. My main point is that whoever is handling the monitors on Monoprices end of things, doesn't know as much about their product as they should.

My main point is that whoever is handling the monitors on Monoprices end of things, doesn't know as much about their product as they should.
Absolutely. The initial specs on their 30" were completely wrong as well (claimed LED w/ glossy, turned out to be CCFL w/ antiglare) but has since been updated. I expect they will correct the 27" eventually. Meanwhile, the description for the Microcenter Auria still calls it an LED screen even though their version has been CCFL for months.

It is appalling that whoever is in charge of contracts worth presumably hundreds of thousands of dollars for manufacturing these things can't even get the most basic info correct.

Its also possible they don't even know, IE factory or distributor tells them we are giving you X, then just starts shipping Y without even telling them. Trust me happens all the time with Asian companies. Its a ridiculously constant problem. Most people don't know to structure their contracts in such a way that the company is punished financially if you do this. Or sometimes they forget to keep up on it.

Absolutely. The initial specs on their 30" were completely wrong as well (claimed LED w/ glossy, turned out to be CCFL w/ antiglare) but has since been updated. I expect they will correct the 27" eventually. Meanwhile, the description for the Microcenter Auria still calls it an LED screen even though their version has been CCFL for months.

It is appalling that whoever is in charge of contracts worth presumably hundreds of thousands of dollars for manufacturing these things can't even get the most basic info correct.

I have a EQ276W i just bought from microcenter a couple weeks ago and it says LED on the box. So I don't know where people are seeing that it's CCFL.

I have a EQ276W i just bought from microcenter a couple weeks ago and it says LED on the box. So I don't know where people are seeing that it's CCFL.
The box is wrong, the Microcenter description is wrong, even the sticker on the back of the monitor is wrong. Open it up and look if you want confirmation. (assuming you didn't stumble across an older glossy version.)

my ac adapter power brick died on my last weekend . It started clicking and burning smell was emanating from it. Was def hot to the touch.... I'm just outside of the 1 yr warranty period too... I got it on my amex so i have the amex extended warranty though so we'll see how that works out. might just buy the EFL-2202W adapter from ebay to save myself from warranty hassel.

Hi! I just purchased this monitor yesterday from microcenter. was super stoked. Took it home, and plugged into my computer using the dual link DVI cable I was using to power my existing 24" monitor. The Auria powered on fine, but when I got to my Win8.1(Beta) desktop, the resolution was reported as 1080 and not 1440. So, I swapped the DVI cable with the one that came with the monitor (dual link) and still no success.

I have an AMD A4 3400 APU, so I went to AMD's site to get the latest drivers. Still no go. However, after swapping the DVI cable and updating the drivers, the Start screen in Win8 appears to be at 1440 (more Live Tiles are on screen), but the desktop is still 1080...and the setting still show 1080 in both "PC Settings" and "Display Settings" and the AMD/ATI Display setting. I can't adjust it any higher through any of the menus. I think there are more tiles that display on screen than my 24 because of the OS recognizes a large display. The resolution is definitely not correct.

Are there any known issues with this monitor and AMD APU's?? Can someone please point me in the right direction for this issue? I tried to search this thread, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Yu1, any reason you can't try the included dual ink dvi that comes with the monitor? And I hate to ask, did you try and change the resolution in windows? Using either the ATI CCC or right clicking on a empty spot and choosing "Screen Resolution" and seeing what it states there?

If the motherboard's onboard video can support 2560x1440 (by extension: which motherboard are you using?), the monitor definitely shouldn't have a problem with it barring cable issues. And AIUI the initial Win8 splash/login screen should match resolution with the Start screen by default, so if somehow it's not that's potentially a separate issue.

That said, I might make absolutely certain that either or both of those DVI cables are dual-link; its behavior sounds exactly like what you'd get with a single-link DVI cable, which will absolutely positively not parse anything higher than 1080p video.

overview-connectors.jpg

If the motherboard's onboard video can support 2560x1440 (by extension: which motherboard are you using?), the monitor definitely shouldn't have a problem with it barring cable issues. And AIUI the initial Win8 splash/login screen should match resolution with the Start screen by default, so if somehow it's not that's potentially a separate issue.

That said, I might make absolutely certain that either or both of those DVI cables are dual-link; its behavior sounds exactly like what you'd get with a single-link DVI cable, which will absolutely positively not parse anything higher than 1080p video.

overview-connectors.jpg

Hi.. I'm using the DVI cable supplied with the monitor. This is the motherboard I'm using:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641
the DVI port is D-Sub + DVI
This is the APU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106014

Yu1, any reason you can't try the included dual ink dvi that comes with the monitor? And I hate to ask, did you try and change the resolution in windows? Using either the ATI CCC or right clicking on a empty spot and choosing "Screen Resolution" and seeing what it states there?

Yes..I checked every setting and updated the ATI/AMD APU drivers. Every screen says the maximum resolution supported is 1080. I can't increase it any higher. I can only decrease it. And I am using the supplied DVI cable.

I had a spare Radeon HD 6450 around and decided to see what the results would be with this card. THIS fixed the issue. Frikkin strange. Should I ask AMD for an upgrade? It blows that the APU doesn't support the higher resolution.

That's odd, though the fact that I can't find anything on a cursory search that officially states that either that motherboard or the APU can support 2560x1600 (I can find user reporrts about 1080p, but nothing about beyond that) is even odder. At least we know it's not the monitor's fault. :)

That's odd, though the fact that I can't find anything on a cursory search that officially states that either that motherboard or the APU can support 2560x1600 (I can find user reporrts about 1080p, but nothing about beyond that) is even odder. At least we know it's not the monitor's fault. :)

Actually, the AMD APU and the associated GPU says max resolution is 1440. It's documented at the major retailers and AMD's site. So, I don't know what the heck is going on.

I just ordered 2 of these mounts:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1082808&p_id=5400&seq=1&format=2#description

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm going to have the Auria 27 in landscape, and my old 24" in portrait. The only issue is that my desk is 3 feet wide at most... :s Also, the description says 360 degree rotation. Does that mean I can rotate my monitor 360 degrees WHILE it's mounted, or do I need to unmount for rotation?

Last edited:
Actually, the AMD APU and the associated GPU says max resolution is 1440. It's documented at the major retailers and AMD's site. So, I don't know what the heck is going on.

I just ordered 2 of these mounts:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1082808&p_id=5400&seq=1&format=2#description

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm going to have the Auria 27 in landscape, and my old 24" in portrait. The only issue is that my desk is 3 feet wide at most... :s Also, the description says 360 degree rotation. Does that mean I can rotate my monitor 360 degrees WHILE it's mounted, or do I need to unmount for rotation?

Just in case anyone is looking to get these mounts, they do not allow for rotations while mounted. They do swivel horizontally, and not vertically.

Had my Auria for several months now. Absolutely love it. It had one single dead pixel which I tried to un-stick but it was dead, not stuck. For $400 I couldn't be happier. I see there are some cheaper Ebay options right now, but I'm still very happy with the purchase. Also I primarily play Guild Wars 2, mostly in WvWvW, and I have zero ghosting or lag issues from the monitor.

Microcenter had this in an open box for $269, but with no power adapter. The only adapter that I've seen that's actually marketted as "the adapter" for this monitor I found here:

http://www.powerpayless.com/24v-ac-...tore=default&gclid=CIqDovCm-LkCFQ-g4AodNUMAfA

Anyone else had any luck buying these open box? The display itself looked fine, but I won't buy it unless I can test it in the store.

EDIT: Looked above and it looks like the EFL-2202W is the power adapter to try out? Found it on eBay here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-5A-AC-A...FY2405000-LCD-Monitor-4-pin-Tip-/230838320475

MS does have a 30 day window for returns, so maybe I'll pick it up.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone else had any luck buying these open box? The display itself looked fine, but I won't buy it unless I can test it in the store... MS does have a 30 day window for returns, so maybe I'll pick it up.
I got one of mine open box, no problems, but obviously YMMV. No risk with their return policy. If it's a glossy one I would pick it up in a heartbeat, but if it's the matte version I would skip it - plenty of better options our there for not much more $.

After returning from a vacation and turned on my glossy Auria purchased Dec 21, 2012. Went to the bathroom after 30 minutes of use. Screen was dead black. Replugged old cables, restarted computer, all the obvious stuff. No good.

My current power supply is making a soft chirping sound at the moment. I am thinking it is the power supply based on the comments here. That's what manufactures cheap out on the most. I have extended warranty through American Express, so I will probably try that. I was also thinking to pick up this power supply:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-5A-AC-A...FY2405000-LCD-Monitor-4-pin-Tip-/230838320475

Thoughts or advice?

This is my second Auria 27 inch. The first one didn't work. Bought a new one. First one was glossy/LED, second one was matte/CFFL. Switched the power supplies and got the 2st glossy one working. So, I'm pretty certain it is a power supply issue.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I put in the new power supply. It is chirping the same sound. So, it seems I have a short in the monitor itself. Probably from sitting unplugged in a cold room for a few days.

Looks like I;m in the market for a new monitor. Any recommendations? I have a $400 budget.

sucks man, I picked mine up from microcenter, paid $80 extra for a three year warranty

Can't complain too much. AmEx should refund the purchase cost to me as soon as everything goes through. (They add an extra year of warranty on all purchases and have used that card feature before without issue on a TV. I think Discover does as well.)

Back