Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

So I do remember someone telling me its contrast ratio and input lag would be much worse then my catleap.
I'm not an expert with monitors and color in the least bit, but I'm having an hard time finding the differences in these pictures. Maybe I didn't calibrate the auria right? I did notice a little lag in games that was unfamiliar to me... Is this ghosting? It was hard to tell.

I'm not too sure what my options are, I want one of these IPS's with the same image quality, contrast, sect as my Catleap, but I it needs to have at least an HDMI port, along with the dvi and be somewhere near the same input lag. I'm barely noticing the lag on the auria so I think its there, but that's 30ms I believe. Also a built in scalar, so it downscales to 1080p well.

Do I have any options left?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

...I'm having an hard time finding the differences in these pictures.

it needs to have at least an HDMI port, along with the dvi and be somewhere near the same input lag. Do I have any options left?
Agreed, I don't see that the pictures are telling us anything. How do they look to you in person?

I guess I'm not really following you, are you happy with the color/quality on the Auria or not? Is it just the lag you are concerned with? Any monitor with native 2560x1440 with an HDMI port is by definition, going to have a scaler, and thus lag. You can't have it both ways.

Agreed, I don't see that the pictures are telling us anything. How do they look to you in person?

I guess I'm not really following you, are you happy with the color/quality on the Auria or not? Is it just the lag you are concerned with? Any monitor with native 2560x1440 with an HDMI port is by definition, going to have a scaler, and thus lag. You can't have it both ways.

I'm also just a consumer. I may understand what you guys tell me about the color/contrast ratio/gamma/input lag, but I can't apply that knowledge and actually see what you are talking about in person. I guess I truly don't understand it. :confused:

I think they look exactly the same. But that's the problem, they're not and I know they aren't, but I can't tell. And although you might think "then what's the problem?" the problem is the more I get used to it the more I will realize the difference.

So if I keep my Auria and sell my Catleap, there's the chance that I might start to actually understand and notice the input lag in games. And of course, it will suck, and I'm SOL.

I have no room for another monitor so I need to "upgrade" to a similar 1440p IPS with a scalar, but similar contrast ratio's and colors to my Catleap, and if possible, the least input lag. You're right, I can't have it both ways. So then let me ask you guys this. What multi input (wiuth scalar) K-IPS has the least recorded input lag?

So if I keep my Auria and sell my Catleap, there's the chance that I might start to actually understand and notice the input lag in games. And of course, it will suck, and I'm SOL.

I have no room for another monitor so I need to "upgrade" to a similar 1440p IPS with a scalar, but similar contrast ratio's and colors to my Catleap, and if possible, the least input lag. You're right, I can't have it both ways. So then let me ask you guys this. What multi input (wiuth scalar) K-IPS has the least recorded input lag?

I had a glossy AuriA monitor before and I'm gaming quiet often, however, I didn't notice any input lag compared to my gaming 2ms monitor. I don't believe that rejected A- catleap panel monitors are better than AuriA. Please go back to this thread and someone has a custom color settings on pages 4-6 that you can easily change yourself and the monitor picture will be beautiful. Also, consider switching HDMI port with Display Port or Dual-link DVI cable. Your HDMI transfer rate might not be fast enough and causing the input lag. This thread is only 23 pages, there is all the info you can find in there:))) most of us go through entire thread and read it to find allege info you need

I think they look exactly the same. But that's the problem, they're not and I know they aren't...
The panel on the Catleap and the glossy Auria, -are- for the most part, exactly the same. There might be production variances but that is going to be random and not something you can plan for if you buy a different panel anyway. The newer matte Auria is hugely different, but that isn't an issue in your case.

I saw you posted on the OC forum - don't get too worked up over the contrast and other comments - if it looks the same to you as the Catleap, then for all intents and purposes, it is the same. Generally the only time you are going to notice such things is if you have another monitor sitting there to directly compare to.

As far as testing for input lag - the people concerned about it @1440 use the single DVI displays. I doubt anyone has done a direct comparison of multi-input models, and there probably wouldn't be a significant difference anyway. I haven't seen any complaints about excessive lag.

You've got the Auria, it looks good, keep it and be happy. The glossys are a rare bird now, you should have no problem selling it if you change your mind down the road.

You've got the Auria, it looks good, keep it and be happy. The glossys are a rare bird now, you should have no problem selling it if you change your mind down the road.

Do you think matte Auria is better or worse than a glossy one. My sister is bringing the matte one over this weekend which I scored for $300. I would like to know what should I expect. You seem pretty good and knowledgable about this stuff:) Thank you

Do you think matte Auria is better or worse than a glossy one. My sister is bringing the matte one over this weekend which I scored for $300.
The matte Auria uses the Dell U2711 panel, which is wide gamut. It can reproduce nearly 100% of the Adobe RGB color space. Most decent monitors (including the glossy Auria) reproduce ~100% sRGB space but only maybe 75-80% of adobe RGB. So technically it can show more colors. But in practical terms, anything you view on your computer (unless you are a pro photographer working in Photoshop) is going to be geared toward sRGB space, not aRGB. So unfortunately, what that means is by default, any primary colors (especially reds) are going to be extremely over-saturated, skin tones will be overly warm/pink, etc. Essentially 100% red on an aRGB panel is "more red" than 100% red on an sRGB panel. Kind of like fluorescent orange vs regular orange, if that makes any sense.

The Dell includes an sRGB emulation mode, so if you aren't working in Adobe color space, it can correct for that to some degree. Since the Auria uses the same panel, but doesn't have the electronics to go with it, it has no sRGB emulation mode and you are stuck with aRGB.

The other thing is that the matte uses CCFL lighting instead of LED like the glossy. So it uses more power, puts out more heat, and takes a little while to warm up.

Not to put down the matte version too much - in the end you are essentially getting an $800 display for $300, so there's something to be said for that. Personally I do graphic work for a living, and the wide gamut thing drives me nuts. For a lot of people, it doesn't bother them in the least.

So unfortunately, what that means is by default, any primary colors (especially reds) are going to be extremely over-saturated, skin tones will be overly warm/pink, etc. Essentially 100% red on an aRGB panel is "more red" than 100% red on an sRGB panel. Kind of like fluorescent orange vs regular orange, if that makes any sense.

Not to put down the matte version too much - in the end you are essentially getting an $800 display for $300, so there's something to be said for that. Personally I do graphic work for a living, and the wide gamut thing drives me nuts. For a lot of people, it doesn't bother them in the least.

Thanks a lot for explaining the difference between a glossy and matte models and how sRGB and aRGB works. It makes sense now. My previous Auria had a glossy screen, it had some much reflection and drove me crazy, however, the picture was stunning. I guess I'll find out whether I like it or not tomorrow. However, I don't think I will be returning a $300 brand new monitor unless it has other problems. In a mean time, hopefully somebody will come out with a custom profile/best color settings for it. I don't have money to buy a device like spider4 just to use it once. Thank you for your help Austinpike!

Hey guys. My monitor is pretty wobbly on the stand. I've seen a few people here post new monitor stands that seemed to fix the wobble. Does the mono-price monitor stand pretty much solve the wobble?

Hey guys. My monitor is pretty wobbly on the stand. I've seen a few people here post new monitor stands that seemed to fix the wobble. Does the mono-price monitor stand pretty much solve the wobble?

You mean this one?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5970&CAWELAID=1329452118&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLyMqZ3VjrYCFcyY4AodNEMAGA

I have this one with my Catleap. it works, But it looks like it has a hard time holding it. Don't worry, it's secure so it won't fall off or anything, but I can't adjust it because it's too heavy. it was my mistake, this stand is designed for up to 23" screens.

I'd look into that Dell stand that was linked a couple pages back.

You mean this one?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5970&CAWELAID=1329452118&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLyMqZ3VjrYCFcyY4AodNEMAGA

I have this one with my Catleap. it works, But it looks like it has a hard time holding it. Don't worry, it's secure so it won't fall off or anything, but I can't adjust it because it's too heavy. it was my mistake, this stand is designed for up to 23" screens.

I'd look into that Dell stand that was linked a couple pages back.

Yea that was the exact same one that I was thinking of. That DELL sure does look sturdy. Can anyone speak to how well it works? I saw mention that an adapter was needed?

Actually I just found this on overclockers. It looks really nice

http://www.overclock.net/t/1228062/achieva-shimian-monitor-club/2460

Last edited:
I got one of the dell monitor stands a couple of days ago. It includes a vesa mounting plate so it works well with the monitor. It is huge and solid metal. I think it is a laptop base but it doesn't matter, you can use it to put stuff on it. Overall I am very pleased with it.

Yea that was the exact same one that I was thinking of. That DELL sure does look sturdy. Can anyone speak to how well it works? I saw mention that an adapter was needed?

I take it you're referring to the gateway? Yes I'm not sure if I want that or one of the dells.

Quick question. When you guys plugged the power cord of your Auria into the power brick, when you turn on the monitor, and when the monitor detects an input, do you hear a chirp-like sound? I do, it might be the electricity, but I don't know if this is normal or a sign that something is wrong.

This is a dell stand I have, the model is RM361. This thing is sure made to last and super high quality, the only negative part that its relatively big. But I love this dell stand, the seller I've bought it from has it for $20 shipped and it includes VESA mount. Here is a linky on eBay:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230930534826&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=97670915819

He has one one listed as an auction for about $18 if you have time to wait and nobody bids. But take my word, this stand is very high quality and actually listed for $99 on the dell website:)

This is a dell stand I have, the model is RM361. This thing is sure made to last and super high quality, the only negative part that its relatively big. But I love this dell stand, the seller I've bought it from has it for $20 shipped and it includes VESA mount. Here is a linky on eBay:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230930534826&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=97670915819

He has one one listed as an auction for about $18 if you have time to wait and nobody bids. But take my word, this stand is very high quality and actually listed for $99 on the dell website:)

Says it supports monitors up to 24 inches (but I never have taken that seriously). How does it hold the monitor? My monoprice one holds my Catleap, but because it's too heavy, it will not stay in the position I adjust it to. Also, what can it do? (pivot, height adjustment, tilt, ect?)

Thanks for linking this :)

Says it supports monitors up to 24 inches (but I never have taken that seriously). How does it hold the monitor? My monoprice one holds my Catleap, but because it's too heavy, it will not stay in the position I adjust it to. Also, what can it do? (pivot, height adjustment, tilt, ect?)

Thanks for linking this :)

It says up to 24" but held my Auria in place very good, it stayed in its position really well since Auria is still light enough. This stand has a really good height adjustment, turns left and right pretty wide and I believe you will be able to do pivot with it in its highest position. This stand is quiet large as seen on eBay pictures because its designed for docking station and laptop plug in, however, I'm using the dock grooves for my center speaker and its works really well. I believe it's overall quality will beat Monoprice stand any day of the week:) just like I sad go to dell website and look at it, it listed for $99

There's a couple of these on sale open box at my local MC for $299. Would one be worth it at that price? I had a Thunderbolt Display and loved the picture of it, but I just couldn't justify spending $1000 on a monitor.

I'm currently using a 1080p 27" AOC IPS monitor.

Absolutely worth $300 if comes without flaws and in good condition. Replace the stand and this monitor will rock your world:)

Absolutely worth $300 if comes without flaws and in good condition. Replace the stand and this monitor will rock your world:)

What stand would you recommend? If I do get the open box one, ill buy the two year replace ill buy the to year replacement warranty for $50.

What stand would you recommend? If I do get the open box one, ill buy the two year replace ill buy the to year replacement warranty for $50.

I posted the eBay link to the decent dell stand just a few posts above, check it out if you like ;)it

So my Auria box said it's a LED-IPS, but some posts above indicate that my Matte Auria is the LG panel that was used in the U2711 which is a CCFL panel.

So how exactly can they sell something as LED if it's CCFL? I guess I'm in denial here that my panel isn't LED. It doesn't take a long time to warm up and isn't generating a lot of heat...

So my Auria box said it's a LED-IPS, but some posts above indicate that my Matte Auria is the LG panel that was used in the U2711 which is a CCFL panel.

So how exactly can they sell something as LED if it's CCFL? I guess I'm in denial here that my panel isn't LED. It doesn't take a long time to warm up and isn't generating a lot of heat...

Their box and Microcenter website info is all screwed up. Its also says its vesa 75 and I just mounted it using vesa 100. I believe, that the matte Auria is actually a 10bit LG panel used in Dell U2711 monitors minus some hardware( the word from this forum). So don't pay attention to wrong info on the box. I got my matte Auria and I absolutely in love with it. Some people are bothered by wide gamut monitors, however, not a big deal for me. I played a round of battlefield3 and colors are so rich compare to my TN panel monitor, no input lag either. I guess the only way to find out is to call Auria technical department, which I'm going to do on Monday and report back to Auria community

Last edited:
I think I might end up going with that dell stand. I need something to stop my monitor from wobbling when I'm typing on the computer. For 20 bucks its not TOO bad. Seems like it takes up a lot of space. Maybe I can use the area under the stand to put something else. I cant put up with this wobbling any more.!

I think I might end up going with that dell stand. I need something to stop my monitor from wobbling when I'm typing on the computer. For 20 bucks its not TOO bad. Seems like it takes up a lot of space. Maybe I can use the area under the stand to put something else. I cant put up with this wobbling any more.!

Auria stand is horrible, I never even got it out of the box, its so wobbly and so low so its almost impossible to use:)

I also saw this one for $30. It looks much smaller than Dell and has USB ports:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120857358937?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My monitor will occasionally not show anything when waking the computer after shutting the monitor off (not standby, just shuts off video output). The LED on the monitor changes to green, but I don't get a picture. However, in my case, turning off the monitor and back on fixes it. This has happened maybe three times in the last month.

Anyone ever solve this issue? This seems to happen to me once or twice a week, except turning the monitor off and on doesn't solve it. I just usually have to wait 10-15 minutes and everything comes back up like normal. Power supply issue? Do I need to get the monitor serviced? Maybe hope for new firmware?

Anyone ever solve this issue? This seems to happen to me once or twice a week, except turning the monitor off and on doesn't solve it. I just usually have to wait 10-15 minutes and everything comes back up like normal. Power supply issue? Do I need to get the monitor serviced? Maybe hope for new firmware?

What cable/connection do you use? My old glossy used to do this once in a while after computer went to sleep. It pretty much fixed itself after I got the accel 1.2 displayport cable from Amazon. I have a matte model now and I can tell it has a new firmware and works flawless so far:)

What cable/connection do you use? My old glossy used to do this once in a while after computer went to sleep. It pretty much fixed itself after I got the accel 1.2 displayport cable from Amazon. I have a matte model now and I can tell it has a new firmware and works flawless so far:)

I'm using a DVI cable. Think I should get a displayport cable and give that a shot? I've got a glossy version.

Edit: Is this the cable you're recommending?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using a DVI cable. Think I should get a displayport cable and give that a shot? I've got a glossy version.

Edit: Is this the cable you're recommending?

This is the one, make sure that 3.3ft is long enough for you, also the Auria back connectors are reversed and be careful when you take it out ,you will need to stick a credit card or some flat tool to push the release button.
If you use DVI cable, make sure it's dual link dvi cable and your video card has it

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently ordered the big dell stand from the guy that posted the ebay seller here. I can't wait for it to arrive. Then maybe this stupid stand that my monitor came on will finally be replaced with something freakin decent.

Well the one for $300 was the glossy display which I wanted but it has a purple mark in the middle. I bought the warranty so they gave me a brand new one, but its the matte one. Not sure if I want to keep the matte one, but it only cost me $440 after tax for it brand new and a 3 year in store replacement warranty.

Any settings suggestions so I can see how the panel looks at its best?

Any settings suggestions so I can see how the panel looks at its best?

Play around with color settings, I personally love my matte Auria, if you have a Radeon card there is a way to correct the colors via CCC, go back one or two pages to find out how, or try to correct the settings yourself if you have Nvidia:) good luck

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like it, but bottom of the stand looks kind of small. Is it able to hold this monitor sturdily?

Wait wait I'm confused. Is there a difference between dual link DVI and displayport? Just fixes the waking up issue?

As far as I understand, dual link DVI and DP cables have more connectors and able to perform faster data transfer than HDMI cable. As for that other stand, I saw a picture of it with a mounted catleap, if you look on dimension/specs, bottom part seems like a decent part 14-15". If it can hold a catleap, should be no issues mounting Auria monitor on it:)

Wait wait I'm confused. Is there a difference between dual link DVI and displayport? Just fixes the waking up issue?

DIsplayPort can transmit audio like HDMI, dual-DVI cannot. DisplayPort do not require timing signals so AMD cards can connect as many as 6 while limited to 2 (3 for Sapphire FLEX) DVI/HDMI/VGA.

does anyone know if either method is more latent than the other?

First of all, HDMI 1.3 only supports resolutions up to 1920x1200 (at 60hz). Latest HDMI 1.4 supports 4k resolutions, so it should be able to drive a 2560 x 1440 display, but most HDMI ports will be only equipped on a latest GPU's. Furthermore, someone on this forum talked to Auria tech who stated that HDMI 1.4 wont generally won't go for more than 28-30 FPS at 2560 x 1440 and can introduce input lag while gaming.

Second, you'll need dual link DVI to run higher resolutions than 1080p, which means you'll need to make sure the DVI cable supports dual link and your GPU actually has it.

Finally, DisplayPort is a newer digital video standard: fully backward compliant to HDMI and DVI, it can drive display panels directly, eliminating scaling and control circuits. DisplayPort has a great potential: 3D Support @ 120Hz (so, 240Hz 3D), DisplayPort also has low latency (lower than HDMI and DVI) and fully supports 10-bit color depth (wide gamut) which the new Auria Matte monitors are!

My final word is to use DisplayPort whenever you can, then Dual-link DVI, then HDMI.

First of all, HDMI 1.3 only supports resolutions up to 1920x1200 (at 60hz). Latest HDMI 1.4 supports 4k resolutions, so it should be able to drive a 2560 x 1440 display, but most HDMI ports will be only equipped on a latest GPU's. Furthermore, someone on this forum talked to Auria tech who stated that HDMI 1.4 wont generally won't go for more than 28-30 FPS at 2560 x 1440 and can introduce input lag while gaming.

Second, you'll need dual link DVI to run higher resolutions than 1080p, which means you'll need to make sure the DVI cable supports dual link and your GPU actually has it.

Finally, DisplayPort is a newer digital video standard: fully backward compliant to HDMI and DVI, it can drive display panels directly, eliminating scaling and control circuits. DisplayPort has a great potential: 3D Support @ 120Hz (so, 240Hz 3D), DisplayPort also has low latency (lower than HDMI and DVI) and fully supports 10-bit color depth (wide gamut) which the new Auria Matte monitors are!

My final word is to use DisplayPort whenever you can, then Dual-link DVI, then HDMI.

Interesting.... I read some of the MC reviews and found this.

The biggest issue to warn you gamers out there is to MAKE SURE TO USE THE DISPLAYPORT and NOT the DVI to significantly reduce the input lag. Using the Displayport under the native resolution will bypass the internal scaler, which seriously reduces input lag. If you use the DVI port, it will not bypass the internal scaler.

Is this true? So if I were to use a displayport cable (displayport on both ends) from my Auria to my 7970 it would bypass the scalar and thus I'd have similar input lag to that of my Catleap that doesn't have a scalar?

Back