Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

The DVI-only boards definitely have less lag, around 1/4 frame, and definitely less than a 1/2 frame.

I don't think the 30" korean monitors really caught on, there may be a thread on them somewhere, but i don't remember seeing one. The risks of buying overseas goes up a lot in the 30" pricerange. And don't be fooled by the seller Red_Cap's personal 1 year warranty, if there's a problem he'll just string you along till your paypal time window runs out.

I made a thread comparing them a while back. There are many models AND some of them are sRGB, with matte coating (very non intrusive compared with ag).

They go for around the same price as a used U3011/ zr30w

I've had the opportunity to test with several cards that would lead me to disagree:

Gigabyte GTX460 - No POST video
Gigabyte GTX560Ti-448 - POST video
Gigabyte GTX660 - No POST video

This was on two different motherboards: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 and ASUS P9X79-WS. Interestingly, if I entered the BIOS setup utility on the X58, I would get video in the utility.

In all cases I had two of them connected via DVI. Happens with DVI only. DisplayPort works across the board (excluding the 460, which lacks DP). I've since replaced one of the Aurias with the Asus PLS PB278Q, and will soon do the other, with the Aurias going to work. I'm not so much replacing the Auria displays as I am freeing up the monitors to take to work - no way I can use anything less than 2560x1440 now. :)

Ah..gotcha. I was worried about the issue and since my GTX 580 (others had reported it didn't work if I recall) has no DP I went ahead and bought a GTX 680 at the same time as the monitor, and a DP cable.

Before putting the 680 in I tested DVI on my 580 and it worked as normal...showed post and all. When I put in the 680 I put in on DP and didn't test DVI. Ah well.

Love this monitor..only complaint is that I can't seem the get blacks as dark in movies and games...unless I set the Auto Contrast on..they always seem washed out a bit..may just be the movie/game though and not the monitor. I also tried calibration settings I found on onother forum but they made the greyscale seem red..so I reverted it back to default.

Curious what others use for settings? My old monitor I had on 100 Contrast (seemed like I had to get nice picture) but with this monitor I have 50 brightness and 60 contrast..left everything else stock also I seem to like "Cool" colors.

What do you all use? I suck at calibration.

I picked up one of these over a week or so ago and I just had a couple questions about it.

As others have stated, I notice that the lower right corner seems like it is brighter than it should be when the screen has all black displayed with nothing else.

I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but is the reason this happens due to the hardware of the panel?

Am I right to think that these LCD panels have a regular style florescent light bulb behind them that is pointed at the person using the monitor?

And something is supposed to block most of this lighting, but in this case (with the lower right hand corner being so bright during a black only screen), light is getting through that should not?

Are all of the EQ276W's having this problem?

If the above is truly what is happening (florescent light getting through and shining on the user of the monitor), are there any other rosacea sufferers that have noticed their rosacea tripwires being agrivated by this monitor?

I notice I seem to have a few from it, and wonder if it might be due to the florescent lighting leaking through the front, or from the excessive heat this monitor gives off.

Also, would the missing AG filter have anything to do with this aspect as well? Does an AG filter also filter out UV light from a monitor, or does it just cause it not to glare?

Hoping someone can answer a couple of these questions. thanks

I picked up one of these over a week or so ago and I just had a couple questions about it.

As others have stated, I notice that the lower right corner seems like it is brighter than it should be when the screen has all black displayed with nothing else.

I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but is the reason this happens due to the hardware of the panel?

Am I right to think that these LCD panels have a regular style florescent light bulb behind them that is pointed at the person using the monitor?

And something is supposed to block most of this lighting, but in this case (with the lower right hand corner being so bright during a black only screen), light is getting through that should not?

Are all of the EQ276W's having this problem?

If the above is truly what is happening (florescent light getting through and shining on the user of the monitor), are there any other rosacea sufferers that have noticed their rosacea tripwires being agrivated by this monitor?

I notice I seem to have a few from it, and wonder if it might be due to the florescent lighting leaking through the front, or from the excessive heat this monitor gives off.

Also, would the missing AG filter have anything to do with this aspect as well? Does an AG filter also filter out UV light from a monitor, or does it just cause it not to glare?

Hoping someone can answer a couple of these questions. thanks

not sure about all the technical parts of your question, but mine is a bit brighter in the bottom right corner as well. Not really noticeable during use though. Once I put it on a stand and raise it up to eye level it seems much better as well. When looking down on the monitor the light seems much more evident.

Do you have the monitor at eye level (eyes looking right in center of screen or elsewhere?

Loving my monitor, looks so good! Great for the price have had no issues,and a monoprice stand makes it much better.

not sure about all the technical parts of your question, but mine is a bit brighter in the bottom right corner as well. Not really noticeable during use though. Once I put it on a stand and raise it up to eye level it seems much better as well. When looking down on the monitor the light seems much more evident.

Do you have the monitor at eye level (eyes looking right in center of screen or elsewhere?

I have the top of the monitor at eye level and a 2nd set of monitors above it.

I have the top of the monitor at eye level and a 2nd set of monitors above it.

Ah. That is part of the problem posslby. The top of the monitor being at eye level causes you to be slightly above.

This may be standard fare thoughbut I noticed on this monitor when slightly above..that right corner light was more noticable. When I look dead on (Center of monitor) it is much less pronounced.

Ah. That is part of the problem posslby. The top of the monitor being at eye level causes you to be slightly above.

This may be standard fare thoughbut I noticed on this monitor when slightly above..that right corner light was more noticable. When I look dead on (Center of monitor) it is much less pronounced.

Yeah, it's weird, if I move down on my chair so my point of view is more in the center of the monitor, I do notice that the right corner backlight bleed becomes less noticeable. But then, the upper right corner appears to have backlight bleed. Try this once on yours and see if you get the same results.

One thing seems certain for me however. This monitor seems like it gives off quite a bit of heat. I'm very sensitive to temp changes and I feel like I'm getting sunburned by this monitor.

I'm not sure if this is a normal feeling when going to such a large monitor from my much smaller 22 inch lcd's. Or, if this monitor is putting out more heat that I am picking up on, or if I'm just too sensitive to the light coming through it. I've been looking for uv filters and other kinds of filters but haven't found anything yet.

I thought I read that some other users had experienced extra heat from this monitor as well but I'm not certain. I'll have to check the older posts.

When I use this monitor I feel like I can only use it for so long before I have to go to another area to cool down. I've not had to ever do that before with my other displays. Very odd. But then, I am very odd as well. :) May not be the monitor. Or it could be that the monitor puts out just enough heat to make my whole corner too hot. Going to start monitoring the thermals this week, or I may just take back the monitor.

What I have been experiencing with this monitor seems very similar to electrosensitivity.
http://www.feb.se/FEB/feb_info.html

However, I don't believe in electrosensitivity.

Could also be my rosacea which this monitor is causing a tripwire for (excessive heat triggers rosacea), but never has it reacted this strongly to a new LCD panel before.

Anyone else feel like their face is melting off with this display?

Sucks for me because I really want to make the switch to 2560x1440. I am so sick of 1080p I could puke.

And I'm also sick of small monitors. It's time that 27" becomes the new standard.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a machine (an Asus Republic of Gamer's laptop) that only has a single VGA and a second HDMI video out. If I want to use my machine's HDMI as the video (and hopefully audio) source to this monitor, and want to retain the full 2560 x 1440 screen resolution, what will I need to do? Will I have to use an adapter to output to DisplayPort, or will HDMI handle the resolution? I'm confused by the differences in the signal output of HDMI vs. DisplayPort. Can someone educate me, both in regards to what's possible with my current machine as well as what (if anything) I should do when I build my next gaming PC to assure I can make the most effective use of monitors like this?

Thanks a million in advance! --Matt

I'm currently using a machine (an Asus Republic of Gamer's laptop) that only has a single VGA and a second HDMI video out. If I want to use my machine's HDMI as the video (and hopefully audio) source to this monitor, and want to retain the full 2560 x 1440 screen resolution, what will I need to do? Will I have to use an adapter to output to DisplayPort, or will HDMI handle the resolution? I'm confused by the differences in the signal output of HDMI vs. DisplayPort. Can someone educate me, both in regards to what's possible with my current machine as well as what (if anything) I should do when I build my next gaming PC to assure I can make the most effective use of monitors like this?

Thanks a million in advance! --Matt

Never mind... My laptop is limited to 1900 X 1200 max resolution even via HDMI. Looks like I'd have to build a new system to take full advantage of this monitor's capabilities. Foo.

I've had this about a week and today about 6 dead pixels popped up..having to return it and apparently my Microcenter no longer carries it. So I might have to go to a ViewSonic 27" IPS at only 1080p. Worried it won't look good?

Anyone use 27" @1080p...I see huge debate on the net about it but it goes both ways.. I am playing Skyrim right now and it looked great on this monitor..

I picked one up yesterday and I must say I am impressed. No dead or stuck pixels and the backlight seems pretty even. This just blows away every other tn panel I have ever had. Has anybody had any luck overclocking this thing yet? I have never messed with ocing a monitor before so I am at a loss on how to go about attempting it? I setup a custom profile and I could go up to 75hz but any more than that it told me out of range. I set vsync and fired up fraps and even with it set to 75hz I am capped at 60fps in any game so I assume I must be doing something wrong? Also is there a driver for this or is everybody running the default microsoft driver?

I picked one up yesterday and I must say I am impressed. No dead or stuck pixels and the backlight seems pretty even. This just blows away every other tn panel I have ever had. Has anybody had any luck overclocking this thing yet? I have never messed with ocing a monitor before so I am at a loss on how to go about attempting it? I setup a custom profile and I could go up to 75hz but any more than that it told me out of range. I set vsync and fired up fraps and even with it set to 75hz I am capped at 60fps in any game so I assume I must be doing something wrong? Also is there a driver for this or is everybody running the default microsoft driver?

EDIT: Nevermind.

You can't overclock it in a meaningful manner. You need a specific version of Catleap monitor to do it. Those are the only monitors in the world that can do it right now.

I cant decide - This or the Shimian IPSBS?
I just dont like the shape...

Anyone have a non-square'd bezel monitor? Will I care about this once I actually get used to it (square LCD's just looks way cleaner to me).
I would prefer the Shimian for lower input lag, but multi inputs are nice too.

I dont mind paying the higher price of the MC one because I can return it if I dont get a good panel. But very few people have been unhappy with the Korean monitors at the same time.

Do you guys think the extended warranty is worth it for $90?? Pushes the price up to $500 basically vs. $320 for the Shimian.

If you are going to game go with lower input lag, the input lag I experience on my auria is horrible over DP connection. I compare that to my 120hz monitor on my laptop. I have not tried it with DVI at home. But at home I have a crossover with DVI and it is reasonable as far as LCDs go.

I would wait for the monoprice monitor, but there is literally no expected release date (could be December or later).
I have the cash now.

And I think I would rather go for the Overlord perfect pixel compared to the MC branded one simply because MC is about 1.5 hrs from me and I dont want to be driving back and forth if i cant find a good panel.
http://www.overlordcomputer.com/overlord_tempest_X270ME_pixel_perfect_display_p/ot_x270me_pp.htm

But I still cant decide. Warranty vs. looks + price :(
Might flip a coin tomorrow....

So after having this 2560x1440 monitor, I just can't stand a 27" @ 1080p

I purchased a Viewsonic 27" 1080p and it looks nice..but in some games it just can't compare to the Auria (or any) at 2560x1440.

So I am thinking I might as well shell out the money..I just can't stand Skyrim on 27" at 1080p, looks bad to me.

So which of these do you recommend, I was about to get the Viewsonic but saw the Asus is $100....also we all know about the dell. Budget concious..which of these does everyone recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...16-578^24-116-578-TS,24-260-111^24-260-111-TS

So after having this 2560x1440 monitor, I just can't stand a 27" @ 1080p

I purchased a Viewsonic 27" 1080p and it looks nice..but in some games it just can't compare to the Auria (or any) at 2560x1440.

So I am thinking I might as well shell out the money..I just can't stand Skyrim on 27" at 1080p, looks bad to me.

So which of these do you recommend, I was about to get the Viewsonic but saw the Asus is $100....also we all know about the dell. Budget concious..which of these does everyone recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...16-578^24-116-578-TS,24-260-111^24-260-111-TS

Overlord? They appear to have a few of their ME (multi-input) models available...inlcuding pixel perfect.

Or do you just not trust the little guys anymore?

I'm currently working with Auria tech to solve the no boot post menu on this monitor. So the quicker everyone can post what gpu and what hookup you are using and if it post or doesn't post will help all of us.

Dual link or HDMI cable and my 470's I get no post. I'm currently using the vga cable with a dual link adapter and I get the boot menu fine now. So if anyone else is having a issue try that and see if it makes yours work. Thanks

The old saying you get what you pay for really apply's to these monitors in this price range. There is a reason they are cheap. As long as you got that warranty then who cares. Its after the 1st 30 days you start to see why they were cheap.

The old saying you get what you pay for really apply's to these monitors in this price range. There is a reason they are cheap. As long as you got that warranty then who cares. Its after the 1st 30 days you start to see why they were cheap.

Which model do you have?

Yeah..get what you pay for. I thought being an LG panel it would be good..especially based on reviews. Turns out our local Microcenter is not even carrying these any more..they said nearly all that were purchased ended up returned for one problem or another.

So buyer beware. When working the thing was GREAT..but...yeah.

I just purchased a ASUS PB278Q so will see how that fairs when I get it in a few days.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Interesting. Our local MC still carries many of these. Mine has worked fine since June when I bought the monitor.

http://microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor#

Guess it is hit or miss. Many have it, love it and no problems..others have it love it at first then have issues.

I can only go off my experience..mine had about 10 dead or stuck pixels pop up after just about a week. I've never had a monitor do that before. My local MC just had bad luck I guess...but they don't have them any more...could be temporary ..

I got my ASUS last night and it's incredible..let's see how it holds up.

Ok so I got mine running at 75hz. Verified it with fraps in games. Anything higher and the image will display but I get an out of range box in the center of the screen.

Guess it is hit or miss. Many have it, love it and no problems..others have it love it at first then have issues.

I can only go off my experience..mine had about 10 dead or stuck pixels pop up after just about a week. I've never had a monitor do that before. My local MC just had bad luck I guess...but they don't have them any more...could be temporary ..

I got my ASUS last night and it's incredible..let's see how it holds up.

Those ASUS monitors look really nice (reading the ASUS thread). I hope you have better luck with your new monitor.

Ok so I came to the conclusion that this monitor has major input lag. I can move the mouse and a split second later my character moves. It is causing me to get killed a lot in black ops 2. I switched back to my old 25.5" asus and I started kicking ass again. Switched back and started dieing left and right and I can actually feel the input lag. This is no good for me so it will be going back to microcenter.

I picked one of these up to replace my just died Soyo 24" (man had that thing for a long time), it is paired with a Dell U3011.

A few things:
holy shit is it bright out of the box
had to use the display port cable that came with my Dell since the DVI cable is only like 4' long.
I wish I knew about these before I bought the Dell, I'd probably have 3 of them and a color calibration unit.

Those ASUS monitors look really nice (reading the ASUS thread). I hope you have better luck with your new monitor.

Love the montior...only problem is mine had some very suspect BLB in the center bottom. I can come to expect some corner bleeding but this was oddly yellow colored bleeding right in the middle..having to RMA it already. Talked to a few who own this and said definitely RMA it and hope for a better one. It was noticeable even during use..sucks...now I will be out a monitor for 2 weeks-ish..and cost me $30 to send it back :(

I just bit on this on a semi-whim as I was picking up some stuff at Microcenter. Haven't gotten back to my desktop to check it out, but I do have a question -- can I get full resolution off of an HDMI cable, or do I need to use the DVI cable?

DVI or Display port, VGA will even work, but could be a little fuzzy depending on your cable. Only HDMI (the shittiest standard ever made) Fails.

HDMI will work for 2560X1440 with some video cards. I know, since it works for me. However, gaming may produce issues using HDMI

I just bit on this on a semi-whim as I was picking up some stuff at Microcenter. Haven't gotten back to my desktop to check it out, but I do have a question -- can I get full resolution off of an HDMI cable, or do I need to use the DVI cable?

The monitor has an HDMI 1.4 port on it, but your video card will also need a 1.4 output to be able to drive the monitors native res.

EDIT: Actually look at post 63 here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1288941/...ia-eq276w-27-led-monitor-from-micro-center/60

Looks as though there are some quirks with 1.4a supporting the res of the monitor. Display port or DVI-D looks to be your best bet. :)

Last edited:
a gtx 670 is a brand new card so it may support it but even my gtx 675M does not support this resolution over HDMI. Also it will just send 1080p and upscale so make sure you are at the correct resolution.

I guarantee the GTX670 gigabyte card supports this over HDMI...I know my resolutions. Without out a doubt text this tiny can only be 2560x1440

DOH!

I just realized the particular cable I'm using is DVI on one end (plugged into GTX670) and HDMI on the other end (plugged into monitor) So I'm not sure that HDMI to HDMI works - haven't tried that I guess. I have another cable laying around - I'll try it sometime and get back.

Picked one up, I have a dead subpixel(green wont light up, so the pixel is always blue/red).

Also, I've noticed the lower 1/3 of the screen tints to a slightly(and I mean slightly) yellower color temp. Will Microcenter hassle me for exchanges? The display is beautiful and the non-tinted part of the monitor has a bang on color temperature.

Only issue is even at 0 brightness it's still too bright in a dim room.(equiv. to 75% of brightness on my LG TV next to it).

yeah - she is a bright monitor. Mine keeps tripping my darn GFI circuit everytime I turn it on. Would someone else be so kind as to plug their monitor into a GFI circuit to see if there is something wrong with mine or if it is just a characteristic of this type of monitor?

You'll have a GFI circuit in your bathroom.

It's an odd request I know - but my GFI circuit is on my sump pump which is where my computer plugs in and everytime I turn the monitor on it throws the circuit and I have to reset it again. I use a APC battery backup so the monitor comes on using the APC, and then I reset the GFI and I"m good to go - but that's a pain to the point I don't think I'll keep this monitor if I can't figure it out. The rest of my PC runs off the APC and GFI circuit and it's a 1400VA APC, so I'm not hitting it with too much power.

My old laser printer used to do the same thing, but my new laser printer doesn't.

weird...

Will just the power brick do it, or does the monitor have to be plugged in? I'm not carrying my monitor to the bathroom, but my brick didn't trip it.

Do these monitors use PWM? I couldn't find anything online.

edit: tried testing for it, I can see my CCFL TV uses PWM but this monitor shows no signs. I'm asking cause I've got the worst fucking headache right now(and some nausea) and I bought this monitor to crank out some final programming projects, my old 22" Monitor never bothered me but now it's feeling counter productive.

Last edited:
Back