Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

Picked one of these up the other day,
First one had a signal loss issue. The second one is working great. Tera, BF3, D3, WoW all work and look awesome.

I also don't get a screen until windows loads. My way around this is just keeping a VGA cable with the dvi adapter connected and swap when booting so I can see my boot screen and BIOS etc. (when I need it, otherwise dvi-hdmi)

Not a big deal to me as I've wanted one of these to replace my Hanns-G 27" 1080p for a while. My local MC sold through them pretty quick as well.

Have you tried displayport?

Also, are you able to drive the full res w/ HDMI?

Edit:

Just picked one up from Microcenter. Unfortunately my rMBP does not drive this monitor at 2560 through the HDMI port. The hardware should be capable, but OSX is treating the device like a TV. I may try installing windows and experimentingl

In anycase, I have a mDP - DP cable on order from Amazon. I would have picked one up (or some combination of adapter + cable) from MC, but their displayport prices are outrageous.

edit 2:

My ancient lenovo laptop drives it at 2560 just fine via VGA. I'm going to try installing windows on my macbook and see if it can do 2560 from there

edit 3: Installed windows 8 and tried the monitor - connected right at 2560x1440 over HDMI. So OSX's HDMI support sucks (like the rest of its multimonitor support...)

Last edited:
I just picked this monitor up from Micro Center yesterday after reading so many good things about it, and for the most part I am happy with it. However, I do have a question that I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me with...

I used the dead pixel test backgrounds at http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php and couldn't really find any dead pixels; however, the backgrounds did reveal that the coloration on my monitor isn't completely uniform. About 1/3 of the way from the left-hand of the screen, there is a vertical patch about the size of my hand that is a bit darker than the rest of the screen. When the background is white, this patch appears slightly bluish. When the background is red, green, or blue, this patch just appears as darker versions of those colors.

I've been trying to read about common LCD and IPS problems to better understand what I'm dealing with, but I can't seem to find any description that matches what I'm seeing. It seems like most problems relate to too much of the backlight getting through (e.g., IPS glow, backlight bleed, etc.), which seems to be the opposite of the problem here.

Does anyone know what problem I'm experiencing? More important, do you recommend returning this monitor for a replacement? Is this problem permanent or will it fade after the monitor breaks in a bit? In many normal situations, I can't see the dark patch; however, it is somewhat evident when viewing websites such as finance.yahoo.com, which have a white background and which do not adjust their layout to high-resolution monitors. Looking at that site, I can see the color difference at the left side of the page's content. It's not dramatically evident, but as you all know, once you notice an imperfection it's hard not to notice it. :(

Thanks for your help!

I would try to take it back and exchange it. Keep in mind: all of these monitors use A- panels. So, whether it be dead/stuck pixels, banding, black light blead, etc... there's something wrong with all of them.

That's why they're so cheap.

I just picked this monitor up from Micro Center yesterday after reading so many good things about it, and for the most part I am happy with it. However, I do have a question that I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me with...

I used the dead pixel test backgrounds at http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php and couldn't really find any dead pixels; however, the backgrounds did reveal that the coloration on my monitor isn't completely uniform. About 1/3 of the way from the left-hand of the screen, there is a vertical patch about the size of my hand that is a bit darker than the rest of the screen. When the background is white, this patch appears slightly bluish. When the background is red, green, or blue, this patch just appears as darker versions of those colors.

I've been trying to read about common LCD and IPS problems to better understand what I'm dealing with, but I can't seem to find any description that matches what I'm seeing. It seems like most problems relate to too much of the backlight getting through (e.g., IPS glow, backlight bleed, etc.), which seems to be the opposite of the problem here.

Does anyone know what problem I'm experiencing? More important, do you recommend returning this monitor for a replacement? Is this problem permanent or will it fade after the monitor breaks in a bit? In many normal situations, I can't see the dark patch; however, it is somewhat evident when viewing websites such as finance.yahoo.com, which have a white background and which do not adjust their layout to high-resolution monitors. Looking at that site, I can see the color difference at the left side of the page's content. It's not dramatically evident, but as you all know, once you notice an imperfection it's hard not to notice it. :(

Thanks for your help!

Mine is the same way. I personally chose to live with it since in my experience it's hard to find a perfectly uniform LCD in the non-professional market. For $400, I don't really care.

Since you got it from MicroCenter, might as well use their 30 day return policy and exchange it. At least you will know you did what you could to get a good one and won't regret not doing it later.

Since you got it from MicroCenter, might as well use their 30 day return policy and exchange it. At least you will know you did what you could to get a good one and won't regret not doing it later.

I decided to return my flawed Auria to Micro Center today to exchange it, and I am really happy that I did. In the ~20 minutes I've spent in front of the new one, I haven't found any flaws yet. It's looking fantastic. Thanks to those who threw in their two cents. I guess this is a good lesson to not settle for something that does not satisfy you. :D

Congrats revengeoftheants. Sounds like the return for replacement was worth it. Also thanks for the great link to test for dead, stuck pixels. I tried it and found no pixel issues, no color banding issues and in the black screen, no noticeable background bleeding.

Now I am even happier about my purchase but overall this monitor is wonderful.

I decided to return my flawed Auria to Micro Center today to exchange it, and I am really happy that I did. In the ~20 minutes I've spent in front of the new one, I haven't found any flaws yet. It's looking fantastic. Thanks to those who threw in their two cents. I guess this is a good lesson to not settle for something that does not satisfy you.

Glad to hear the replacement is good! I've done nothing but enjoy mine since I picked it up!

Got one from Microcenter and the video over DVI is not working. Initial Auria splash screen works, then nothing. Tried 2 different cables, video card is fine. Guess I may try another input, but this baby is going back.

Did you give it a couple of minutes? I've heard on some card/monitor combinations you see nothing until Windows loads.

Did you give it a couple of minutes? I've heard on some card/monitor combinations you see nothing until Windows loads.

Yea, you really do need to wait a bit. I generally don't get video until the windows login screen. Sometimes I just login when I hear the startup jingle I get video when it hits the desktop. I'm running over DVI as well. It's annoying as hell but any change in resolution results in a few second wait as well. "Price of entry" and all that jazz aside, it is annoying. Still happy as a pig in slop though! :D

After waiting 1-2 minutes the video came on. My PC boots up in about 10 seconds. It came up in 1920x1080. When i change resolutions the video goes away for what seems like another 1-2 minutes. I cannot click Accept the changes so it reverts back to 1080.

I will try a work around using a 2nd monitor in extended mode. Still this kind of delay is not acceptable to me.

I am using a gigabyte gtx 670.

It came up in 1920x1080. When i change resolutions the video goes away for what seems like another 1-2 minutes. I cannot click Accept the changes so it reverts back to 1080.
do you need a dual link DVI cable? (I haven't read the rest of this thread, so sorry if this has already been asked and answered)

do you need a dual link DVI cable? (I haven't read the rest of this thread, so sorry if this has already been asked and answered)

Not just the cable, but also the video card port. Many video cards only have one of two dvi ports being dual link.

ok, got this baby at 2560x1440. It looks great! Adjusting to the gloss, always had AG before.

When i look close at a white background I see a slight noisy shimmering. Kind of like the noise on a vga analog connection.

It takes a whopping 1 minute 40 seconds to display video with my video card. damn.

That startup delay is just stupid. If you're a system builder you better keep another monitor around or getting into bios, etc, could be tricky.

I guess I am going to buy another one and see if it has the same long ass delay. Don't think i can go back to 1080 now.

I guess I am going to buy another one and see if it has the same long ass delay. Don't think i can go back to 1080 now.

Mine doesn't have nearly as long of a delay fwiw. Though I haven't tried DVI yet. I've only used HDMI and Displayport.

That said, the uniformity is bugging me a bit. I'm half tempted to return it and just pony up the extra $600 for the Apple display

Also... anyone just find the colors on this display to be kind of washed out? My NEC 20WMGX2 is a lot more vibrant. I've tried calibrating both, but it seems like the differences go beyond the limits of both monitors. TBH I'm not sure which one is more accurate... but I'd say my NEC is closer to my rMBP's display than this Auria.

Last edited:
Wow mine comes on pretty quickly (in about 10 seconds after the freaking bright Auria splashscreen). I am running a 6850 so nothing major in terms of a vid card and connected via DVI. I am running at 1440p so at max resolution.

It takes a whopping 1 minute 40 seconds to display video with my video card. damn.

That's crazy. It definitely doesn't take that long for mine to pop up :confused:

Just a heads up for anyone, I tested using a Mini-HDMI->HDMI cable from my 570s to this thing and couldn't get it to run at a res higher than 1920x1080. Only the DVD cabling gives me native res. I don't have anything that will do DisplayPort though, so I can't test that one...

That's crazy. It definitely doesn't take that long for mine to pop up :confused:

Just a heads up for anyone, I tested using a Mini-HDMI->HDMI cable from my 570s to this thing and couldn't get it to run at a res higher than 1920x1080. Only the DVD cabling gives me native res. I don't have anything that will do DisplayPort though, so I can't test that one...

Are the 570s HDMI 1.4 compliant? The GT 650M in my macbook drives it at 2560x1440 just fine (under WIndows anyway).

Going to pick up mine today as they just got 36 in stock @ the PA location! Customer service over the phone told me I'd be able to test in their tech department to my heart's desire before taking it home(they said I'd have to buy it first).

Mine is definitely a dud. No video after waiting 10 minutes. Going to try an exchange tomorrow.

Are the 570s HDMI 1.4 compliant? The GT 650M in my macbook drives it at 2560x1440 just fine (under WIndows anyway).

That's a good question... Both of my cards are reference units. It's possible that only the newer "HD" versions of the GTX 570 were HDMI 1.4 compliant. However, all of the connector descriptions for the reference units show "One Mini-HDMI 1.4a Connector". Perhaps the cable I have isn't correct...? :confused: I would like to use HDMI instead of DVI just based on cable size, but it's really not a big deal.

I just got mine from Microcenter - $399 + tax + $17 shipping (our local Santa Clara just closed shop!)

Havent done any detailed tests on it but its gorgeous. The seamless displayport connection with my macs is worth the extra I paid over a ebay Korean monitor. I kept going back and forth between this and the ebay ones.

No severe BLB but there is IPS glow. Havent seen a dead pixel yet but need to test it over the weekend.

VGA is a little fuzzy with my Linux box (HD3000 motherboard)

Stand sucks big time! Difficult to attach the connectors. Have been spoilt by the Dells and the HP 2475!

But at this price point all I care is for the panel to work with DP for a few years :)

Stand sucks big time!

Yes, yes it does. I feel like it's gonna break any time I tilt the display on it. I basically feel like I have to slightly pick up the monitor and then use force on the base instead of just pushing on the monitor otherwise it might snap like a twig :p

Screen looks amazing!

Replacement warranty covers the monitor for up to 3 years for $89.99, 2 for $49.99; If they don't have the monitor anymore when you go in they will give you a MC giftcard of the value of the monitor. I picked up the 3 year expecting something to go wrong by then!

Stand complainers.... standard Vesa mount in the back right? I think I read 75x75 or 100x100? If I get one I'm taking one my 26" monitors down and hope to slip that one right on.

So the verdict is the start up time varies from unit to unit? Anyone having problems getting into Bios and seeing POST?

Not seeing bios / post but could just be my settings are not timed well with the monitor startup(only saw bios for about 1 second before login popped up on my old monitor which came on instantly). Pretty sure if I added the delay back in for startup I'd be able to see bios again. This is on a GTX570 using the included DVI cable.

Also, the VESA is 100x100 on my panel.

That's a good question... Both of my cards are reference units. It's possible that only the newer "HD" versions of the GTX 570 were HDMI 1.4 compliant. However, all of the connector descriptions for the reference units show "One Mini-HDMI 1.4a Connector". Perhaps the cable I have isn't correct...? :confused: I would like to use HDMI instead of DVI just based on cable size, but it's really not a big deal.

It might be the cable. I had one cable that caused a lot of flickering, sparkle effects, etc... while another cable I had just worked. Ironically, the "bad" cable was one of those expensive "premium" cables, while the one that worked was a $1 cable I got from amazon ages ago

I could not see post messages either using the dual link DVI cable. But after switching to Displayport, all post messages are now showing like normal.

So 2 days ago I went to microcenter and saw the auria 27 inch. Looked decent, out of curiousity I decided to check for dead pixels and what I saw horrified me lol.

Basically on each color their where little horizontal short lines maybe 3-6 pixels of black. I thought the monitor had tons of small streaks of dead pixels. But then I noticed each time I set a new back groun the placment changed. The microcenter idiot told me that windows had a bad picture for a solid colored back ground.

I noticed that if I created an image in MS paint and pressed fill, I would see the black lines, but then if I pressed fill again I would lose them.

I hypethsized that it has to be something wrong with the cable, or the controller board in the monitor and somehow it would just loose information in random places on the screen.

Anyone else notice this with one of those models? Anyone running one?

This model was hooked up to an alienware with a DVI cable, it was running at native res at 60hz according to windows control panel.

Here is a picture taken with my android smart phone. =]
auriaflaw.jpg

In case I need to clarify I was looking at the display monitor in store, I did not buy the monitor, wasnt going to after I saw that and couldnt get a strait answer from the sales guy.

So no, I could not swap cords and all that in there.

My monitor has no such issues. I asked the sales guy to turn it on and hook it up with DVi cable before I bought it, so I can check it for defects.

I use DP only (mac) and have not had any issues except for the lack of color saturation (but I think its due to my profile)

Am used to wide gamut from my HP 2475 so I find the colors a little washed out.

Anyone has a good calibrated profile. Feel lazy to go buy a colorimeter and do the work now :)

My replacement monitor displays much faster over DVI. When windows sound plays the monitor displays. Need to tweak the display settings. Right now I am using Standard and tweaking with Nvidia control panel.

I own a new Samsung SA850 27 inch ($820) that is also 2560x1440 and bought one of the Auria's today at MicroCenter in Dallas.

I have to say this Auria gives the Samsung a BIG run for the money. Not as well built, but less than 1/2 the price! No dead pixels, no bleed through, no uneven color - no problems of any kind setting it up and the white balance actually better than my Samsung. The glossy finish on the screen actually is not really noticeable (to me) when in use and side by side most people that visit my office prefer the Auria's clean and bright display.

This one's indeed a winner! I'll be buying a 3rd one in a couple of months to round out my desk :)

Anybody use this Auria 27" with a PS3?
I just got one of these and hooked it up to the PS3 with a monoprice high speed hdmi cable I got awhile ago. I tried playing MW3 and it seems like the resolution is like 800x600. It looks really bad. Also, when it switches from the menu to the game, the screen goes blank and I have to turn the monitor off then on again.
Is there any setting on the PS3 that I need to change or is it just the scaler in the Auria not working that well?
Can I use a hdmi to dvi cable or would I get the same results?
I swore that I've read other people's review that said the Auria and PS3 work well but I just can't seem to get it to work right with the PS3.

Back