Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

Man... I am so close to talking myself into getting one.... 7 in stock at my local Microcenter. $424 out the door including tax and an extra one year of warranty though American Express...

Has anyone at all had a problem with these yet for the intended PC use???

So far, this looks to be a winner, I'm ready to pick one up as soon as it comes back in stock at my local MC. Nobody has come back yet with pixel or BLB issues (that I've read), but it still seems to be up in the air about the Input-Lag.

Honestly, for the money, this seems to be a no-brainer, but you may have different requirements for a monitor than myself.

EDIT: Oh, and what's the final consensus on the Input-Lag of this monitor? Is it 1 frame or is it more than that?
The more i consider it, the more i'm convinced it was an all too common flawed test result posted earlier.

As NCX pointed out, the one test software is flawed and triples the result. This makes sense actually because, if that was the software used, then this monitor would also have 1 frame to 1 frame and a quarter of lag (16-20ms)

Otherwise 50-60 MS is instantly noticeable both on windows desktop and in games. The mouse cursor would feel laggy, your kill/death ratio in FPS games would drop noticeably, and you'd have a lot of trouble pulling off complex moves in street-fighter type games.

Last edited:
The input lag is not a showstopper by any stretch - I've played dozens of games already with no issue.

Wonderful to hear, guys. That was the final 'worry' that I had with this monitor. So now this is a sure thing for me, as long as MC get's it back in stock like the rep had reported to me. :)

Can someone who owns this monitor tell me the exact weight. I will be placing this on a LCD desk mount. want to be certain it's not too heavy for my monopice LCD arm.

So I just got the monitor and I'm having the following issue with it. If I set the resolution to the recommended 2560x1440 the screen goes black and stays black. Max resoltuion I can get is 1920x1080. I have a 5850 connected via DVI. 5850 max resoltuion is 2560x1600. What gives? Any ideas?

So I just got the monitor and I'm having the following issue with it. If I set the resolution to the recommended 2560x1440 the screen goes black and stays black. Max resoltuion I can get is 1920x1080. I have a 5850 connected via DVI. 5850 max resoltuion is 2560x1600. What gives? Any ideas?

Are you using a Dual-Link DVI cable? A single link DVI cable cannot run 2560x1440 resolution (I think max it can do is 1920x1200 @ 60Hz). Did the monitor include a DVI cable? I'd be under the assumption that it is DL DVI cable if it is included.

To know for sure it should look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...r_Types.svg/277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

Look at the DVI-D Dual Link, your cable end should look like that.

Sounds like your card has 1 single link and 1 dual link DVI output. Plug your monitor into the other connection and it should be good to go.

Thanks. I was using my old single link cable. I switched to the included dual link cable and although I still can't set it higher than 1920x1080, I think it's because my amd drivers are now corrupted becuase launching catalyst control panel crashes. Most likely due to shutting down the pc using the hard power button when I got the black screens.

I've decided to return my unit back to MC. Just couldn't get past the poor blacks, substantial banding and the uncessary res when it came to using it for my overall display (consoles attached via HDMI). I just kept thinking my old LP2475w is sitting there collecting dust - after re-connecting it and doing a side by side comparison - the HP drops the hammer on this unit hard. I have no doubt Auria is a great buy for the price - though I'll take quaility over extra pixels.

This monitor blows the others outta the water. If you have a chance to visit a Microcenter..... check it out.

This monitor blows the others outta the water. If you have a chance to visit a Microcenter..... check it out.

I'm patiently waiting for it to come back in stock @ my MC. Seeing it available at the other store locations is just a big tease! :(

If I get desperate enough, I'll order from the website and have it delivered. However, I'm not too interested in paying $30 in shipping on top of sales tax. Also, I'm weary of getting a bad unit with dead pixels/blb etc and not having the ability for a quick exchange.

Sorry to hear you didn't stick with yours, Phil. I know you had been debating it, and I suppose if you had the HP just collecting dust that would be tough to justify sticking with the Auria. Thanks for answering some of my questions about this unit, while you had it. :)

Do any Micro Centers actually have it on display? Or would they actually let you take it out of the box and see it?

Do any Micro Centers actually have it on display? Or would they actually let you take it out of the box and see it?
I wouldn't expect it to be on display since it is pretty new and kind of a niche item. (and my store sold out in 2 days.) As for taking one out of the box, pretty much up to your local sales staff. When I went in the guy had never heard of it, he couldn't wait to tear one out of the box and plug it in. If not, you don't have much to worry about as their return policy is pretty no-hassle.

Ours was on display in Columbus. The minute I saw that this unit uses the same panel as the Cinema Display, has multiple inputs and a decent OSD made it a no brainer for me.

While I do not play many 1st person shooters, SWTOR, ME3, KOA, LA Noire and Diablo 3 (All on PC), look phenomenal and play perfect. Previous displays were Viewsonic 19", Dell 2209, ASUS 278Q.

I picked up 2 of these and thought this information may be useful. I don't know how or why but I am able to run 2 of these from my laptop at full resolution. One via hdmi and one via analog vga. Don't ask me how or why but it just works(at full 2560x1440 res). Sound can be passed into them via display port, hdmi, or audio jack. The only issue I have with them is that the colors are different between the two monitors so I don't have a clue what is going on there(no it is not digital vs analog because i switched cables its either panel or backlight). Very good monitor I would say but need calibration.

the colors are different between the two monitors ................. its either panel or backlight).

One via hdmi and one via analog vga. Don't ask me how or why but it just works(at full 2560x1440 res).
Or different revision videoboards inside, it's happened before with other Korean panels and with the same result as yours.

Interesting to hear that you got 2560x1440 working over both of those inputs, and from a laptop.

They let me take mine out to inspect it, moreso because the floor manager had no idea this monitor existed and cried bullshit when I told them it was $399. His jaw hit the floor when he fired it up and told me if you dont buy this its mine. They only had one in the store(it was a cancelled web order, thanks whoever that was!).

I had a really hard time with settings for this monitor initially. I couldn't seem to get good color saturation or contrast. I was thinking of returning it. Then, I stumbled across a thread on slickdeals: http://slickdeals.net/f/4492270-Auria-27-WQHD-2560x1440-LCD-Monitor-399-99-B-M-Micro-Center

There are good settings there. Out of the box, the color and contrast are horrible. I have some flashlighting in the lower right hand corner, but it's only noticeable on a black screen. I also hate that an all black screen seems to glow. However, under any other situation, it looks great. I have a Dell 2407 sitting next to it. The viewable angles on the Dell are much better. I can walk around my desk and the Auria just "whites" out as I move to the edge. The dell is still fully saturated. It made me question whether my panel was really IPS. However, I'm not used to glossy screens and wonder if it's just a side effect of that.

I'm still getting used to the monitor so I can't compare it fully to the Dell yet. So far, I'd say that it looks just as good with perhaps a slight bit more contrast. I'll try my brother's x-rite calibrator on it and see if it makes any more difference. However, I can tell that the settings from above are near perfect due to the way it compares with my already calibrated Dell.

Gowry

picked one up last night at microcenter and the kind folks there let me plug it in to check if it was all working and No DEAD PIXELS HOORAY! Got home and stuck it on my old gateway FPD2485W stand. Played a bit of d3 and put it on a white screen. but as soon as I put it on a black background i get one stuck pixel on the upper left side. I'm gonna try getting it unstuck after work today with all those free tools. i'll try to post some better pix this weekend as well.

fAsyA.jpg

Last edited:
FYI the settings from slickdeals are:

Brightness 60
contrast 100
dcr off
red 59
green 52
blue 45

This is my post from slickdeals that I guess I will just cut and paste here:
<quote>
Interesting. I have been waiting for higher rez monitors to trickle down to human prices. I have 2 26" 1920x1200's now, with a rock solid vesa desk mount. I could probably mount these in fairly easily and enjoy the resolution. However I have concerns...

I use one monitor constantly for work (left) and occasionally both for work. In the reverse, I also have my computer using one monitor constantly (right) and occasionally both for after work. It's a tricky balance of inputs to pull this off to have dual capability for both rigs without some kind of crazy expensive KVM. So if what I read is true and it requires dual DVI (or displayport) to get full rez....

A) laptop is VGA and DVI out only. I do not think I will be able to get full rez out of it.
B) I will need a new video card (waiting on the GTX 660 anyway but it's not out yet) as my current card (GTX 460) only has dual dvi and hdmi. I would be able to get full rez on one, but not both. I would need a card that I could split up DP on one and dual dvi on the other. Right?

Then there is always...
C) wife will kill me.
<end quote>

Ok so NOW I know that dual link DVI is 1 port but special cable. It seems unlikely that the DVI on the stupid laptop dock is dual link. Also, I am forced to use VGA as the primary display (blame HP and their stupid docking station). And the integrated intel graphics kind of suck, I think 1920x1200 is the max.

So here's the real question... how well do these things scale? How is 1080p or 1920x1200 going to look on this thing via a VGA cable? HDMI? Has anyone hooked a 360 up to one yet? I read someone did a PS3 and works ok over HDMI.

Brightness 60
contrast 100
dcr off
red 59
green 52
blue 45

<quote>
Interesting. I have been waiting for higher rez monitors to trickle down to human prices. I have 2 26" 1920x1200's now, with a rock solid vesa desk mount. I could probably mount these in fairly easily and enjoy the resolution. However I have concerns...

I use one monitor constantly for work (left) and occasionally both for work. In the reverse, I also have my computer using one monitor constantly (right) and occasionally both for after work. It's a tricky balance of inputs to pull this off to have dual capability for both rigs without some kind of crazy expensive KVM. So if what I read is true and it requires dual DVI (or displayport) to get full rez....

A) laptop is VGA and DVI out only. I do not think I will be able to get full rez out of it.
B) I will need a new video card (waiting on the GTX 660 anyway but it's not out yet) as my current card (GTX 460) only has dual dvi and hdmi. I would be able to get full rez on one, but not both. I would need a card that I could split up DP on one and dual dvi on the other. Right?

Then there is always...
C) wife will kill me.
<end quote>

Ok so NOW I know that dual link DVI is 1 port but special cable. It seems unlikely that the DVI on the stupid laptop dock is dual link. Also, I am forced to use VGA as the primary display (blame HP and their stupid docking station). And the integrated intel graphics kind of suck, I think 1920x1200 is the max.

So here's the real question... how well do these things scale? How is 1080p or 1920x1200 going to look on this thing via a VGA cable? HDMI? Has anyone hooked a 360 up to one yet? I read someone did a PS3 and works ok over HDMI.

Hm those settings are a little dark for me.

Last edited:
Dear bigclothcraft,

Do you think the Price on the 30 Inch Screens will drop soon ?

- wkstar

Dear wkstar

Hello
This is my personal opinion.
About 27 Inch, there are many manufactor.
So, they make competition and price is down.
But, about 30 Inch, there are a few manufactor.
So, it will takes some time to drop price.
Thanks

- bigclothcraft

Brightness 60
contrast 100
dcr off
red 59
green 52
blue 45

<quote>

Then there is always...
C) wife will kill me.
<end quote>

Actually I am running two of these at max res from my laptop. One over hdmi and one over vga. Your own millage may vary but it works fine for me.

setting contrast to 100 is a bad idea, highlights and shadows get blown out, looks terrible.

I thought the same thing when I first saw the settings. I'd tried upping contrast at first. It's one of the first things most calibration software tells you to do. It dials in once you lower the individual RGB values. Give it a try!

Yes! My local MC finally had this monitor back in stock and I raced over to pick one up. I now have it setup and I'm typing this message on it at the moment. I love it, so far! No dead/stuck pixels that I've found and 0 BLB either.

Just about to start putting it through it's paces, with games and the like. I'll try these settings shortly that have been posted. :)

Banding is caused by using a improper color profile. Using a 10 bit color profile should eliminate banding.

I just wanted to add in to this thread. I bought one from my local MC today, they had around 20 of them sitting in a pile out on the sales floor.

I have a 25" hp x2511 that I replaced with this and so far it's much nicer.

Playing games is a treat and my little old gtx460 does better than I thought it would getting around 50 fps in BFBC2. I'm off to replay Half Life 2 after I post this.

If your on the fence, get off it and go buy one of these monitors. You won't be sorry.

I just wanted to add in to this thread. I bought one from my local MC today, they had around 20 of them sitting in a pile out on the sales floor.

Playing games is a treat and my little old gtx460 does better than I thought it would getting around 50 fps in BFBC2. I'm off to replay Half Life 2 after I post this.

If your on the fence, get off it and go buy one of these monitors. You won't be sorry.

You wouldn't happen to have gone to the MN one by chance? That's exactly what they were configured like at my store (MN). About 20 of 'em sitting inconspicuously with a $400 tag sitting on them.

I feel the same as you, it's a wonderful monitor and it games great! My 5870 isn't having any trouble with Valve titles at this Res, but I have yet to throw some much more demanding games at it. It's time for a new GPU soon, me thinks. :)

You wouldn't happen to have gone to the MN one by chance? That's exactly what they were configured like at my store (MN). About 20 of 'em stacked inconspicuously with a $400 tag sitting on them.

I feel the same as you, it's a wonderful monitor and it games great! My 5870 isn't having any trouble with Valve titles at this Res, but I have yet to throw some much more demanding games at it. It's time for a new GPU soon, me thinks. :)

You wouldn't happen to have gone to the MN one by chance? That's exactly what they were configured like at my store (MN). About 20 of 'em sitting inconspicuously with a $400 tag sitting on them.

Yep Minnesota.

Lovin it.

Got this from overclock.net and its much better with the profile from pabloedvardo. grab the profile from the link
http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/...60x1440-korean-ips-monitors/250#post_17389912
[quote name="pabloedvardo" url="/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/250#post_17389912"]Just received mine, working flawlessly with my GTX570 HD through Dual-Link DVI (included cable).
One dead pixel near the middle somewhat, but impossible to notice from a distance.
The contrast is great out of the box, after calibration just a minor color difference.
Attached is the color profile, calibrated for 2.2 gamma with 6500k white point.
Note this monitor DOES display 100% of sRGB
Definitely like this better than the Crossover 2720MDP. Couple quirks, but better price!

[ATTACHMENT=5128]Auria27226500k.zip (2k. zip file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Edit: I should mention, this profile is for using the default settings on the monitor after a factory reset. Have Eco on Standard, Brightness 80, Contrast 50, DCR OFF, and '6500k' white point color setting. The downside to this method is that the color is corrected in the LUT of the video card, so your color won't be corrected in most games unless you play in windowed fullscreen mode. If you want to use a profile that solves this, keep reading:
Using the Spyder4Elite I enabled an advanced option which allows me to utilize the RGB sliders on the OSD for the monitor. This means the Spyder will sample the color as you adjust the sliders so you can get 6500k with using only the monitor settings (the profile will still calibrate gamma though). Anyway, this is beneficial because then games in fullscreen should still look color accurate, since the white point is determined with your sliders.
I created a profile using this method, and it is attached below. To use it you must match the above settings mentioned (from a factory reset) in addition to changing the color temp from 6500k to 'USER'. Then set your color values to the following:
RED 100
GREEN 85
BLUE 73
Again, leaving DCR OFF and ECO STANDARD with default Brightness/Contrast.
Enjoy!
[ATTACHMENT=5132]Auria27226500kRGB.zip (2k. zip file)[/ATTACHMENT][/quote]

Got this from overclock.net and its much better with the profile from pabloedvardo. grab the profile from the link
http://www.overclock.net/t/1257538/...60x1440-korean-ips-monitors/250#post_17389912
[quote name="pabloedvardo" url="/t/1257538/microcenter-now-carrying-the-27-2560x1440-korean-ips-monitors/250#post_17389912"]Just received mine, working flawlessly with my GTX570 HD through Dual-Link DVI (included cable).
One dead pixel near the middle somewhat, but impossible to notice from a distance.
The contrast is great out of the box, after calibration just a minor color difference.
Attached is the color profile, calibrated for 2.2 gamma with 6500k white point.
Note this monitor DOES display 100% of sRGB
Definitely like this better than the Crossover 2720MDP. Couple quirks, but better price!

[ATTACHMENT=5128]Auria27226500k.zip (2k. zip file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Edit: I should mention, this profile is for using the default settings on the monitor after a factory reset. Have Eco on Standard, Brightness 80, Contrast 50, DCR OFF, and '6500k' white point color setting. The downside to this method is that the color is corrected in the LUT of the video card, so your color won't be corrected in most games unless you play in windowed fullscreen mode. If you want to use a profile that solves this, keep reading:
Using the Spyder4Elite I enabled an advanced option which allows me to utilize the RGB sliders on the OSD for the monitor. This means the Spyder will sample the color as you adjust the sliders so you can get 6500k with using only the monitor settings (the profile will still calibrate gamma though). Anyway, this is beneficial because then games in fullscreen should still look color accurate, since the white point is determined with your sliders.
I created a profile using this method, and it is attached below. To use it you must match the above settings mentioned (from a factory reset) in addition to changing the color temp from 6500k to 'USER'. Then set your color values to the following:
RED 100
GREEN 85
BLUE 73
Again, leaving DCR OFF and ECO STANDARD with default Brightness/Contrast.
Enjoy!
[ATTACHMENT=5132]Auria27226500kRGB.zip (2k. zip file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, do you need the custom profile he attached for this to be close to the desired settings? Any way you could upload it here, if so? I'd rather not join another forum if I don't have to. :)

From reading the post i dont think you need the profile if you set it through the OSD but here is the dl link for it if you wish to do so. I used it just to be safe :)
http://www.overclock.net/attachments/5132

Yeah, I didn't think so. I have those settings right now, and it looks really good. The link says I don't have permission to access it, so I'm just gonna roll with the settings without the profile.

Thanks for forwarding it. :)

Back