Augmented Reality Lets Cars Communicate to Reduce Road Rage

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You would probably be less likely to give someone the finger if you knew they were rushing to the hospital in an emergency, right? That’s the thinking behind this idea for projecting other drivers’ information using an augmented reality smartphone app. I wonder if there be a virtual sign you can display when you accidentally sideswipe someone because you were too busy reading something off of your windshield? Thanks to Kyle for this one.

Chao Wang and his colleagues at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands have developed an augmented reality app designed to reduce road rage by improving communication between drivers. “In the US every year, 1500 people are injured or killed as a result of aggressive driving,” says Wang. His prototype “social car” project puts a transparent screen in front of the driver on a section of windscreen that displays projected information from a smartphone, augmenting the driver’s view without blocking it. The app flashes up information about other drivers using the system when the phone’s camera spots their cars. A special periscope lens attachment allows the camera to see cars in front of the driver while it is lying flat to project images onto the screen.

or just take people out of the equation, you want to travel on the interstate highway system? You MUST let computer assisted driving do all the leg work, otherwise stick to city streets and back roads.

I dont know I live in Denver. I strongly suspect this would further escalate my roadrage, to know for a fact how retarded the drivers around me are. Although In Denvers defense the worst drivers I've ever scene in my life was in Missouri. Those mu*****fuckers have no idea what a passing lane is. Probably all the meth.*calm calm, be calm.*

Do we tackle the root cause of aggressive driving, and teach people how to properly use the passing lane?

No, let's spend millions on stupid useless technology instead.

Teach? As in you actually believe people break the rules because they don't know them? Man, I must be a cynical asshole

Teach? As in you actually believe people break the rules because they don't know them? Man, I must be a cynical asshole

I'd guess that 99% of the people that drive in the left lane while holding up another car behind them, legitimately don't believe they're doing something wrong.

I'd guess that 99% of the people that drive in the left lane while holding up another car behind them, legitimately don't believe they're doing something wrong.

That or they're just too self-absorbed to care. The same type of mentality for people who answer their phones in movie theaters, they know it's wrong and they may even find it annoying when someone else does it, but when they're doing it? They don't comprehend it as they slip into their own private bubble.

One thing that annoys me is when people use the center neutral lane to travel a far distance. I have one that turns into my neighborhood. We have to use this shared lane to turn left otherwise we block the primary travel lane going forward. However, some drivers in the other direction love to jump into it 100ft in advance to get into the turn lane at the light, and then stare at you as you patiently wait an opportunity to turn left which is now more difficult because a certain someone is partially obstructing your view of the oncoming traffic.

Forget the road, this applies everywhere. I go through great lengths to avoid such behaviour on my part and still manage to catch myself in someone's way, although not that often. Maybe we're all oblivious :D

(not really)

or just take people out of the equation, you want to travel on the interstate highway system? You MUST let computer assisted driving do all the leg work, otherwise stick to city streets and back roads.

Should be extended to city streets. Actually, would rather see it on city streets than highways. I live in the city and I've seen several fatal accidents caused my driver incompetent.

One thing that annoys me is when people use the center neutral lane to travel a far distance. I have one that turns into my neighborhood. We have to use this shared lane to turn left otherwise we block the primary travel lane going forward. However, some drivers in the other direction love to jump into it 100ft in advance to get into the turn lane at the light, and then stare at you as you patiently wait an opportunity to turn left which is now more difficult because a certain someone is partially obstructing your view of the oncoming traffic.

Sucks for them, not your fault they were too impatient to wait on traffic to move up enough for them to properly get into the turn lane. I wish there were better obstructions in the center lane to prevent people from doing this as much. Mounted cones or the occasional cement block, nothing too crazy, just something that is enough to be a general deterrent without making the lane completely useless.

The one I hate is people that not only do this, but then merge back in to regular traffic up at the intersection. I've had to force myself to not pay attention to them after they pass me to help contain my own rage.

Not until computer assisted driving systems can reliably deal with inclement road conditions. They can barely handle rain now and they can't handle snow and ice on the road surfaces that I have seen. Now if someone has information that shows them navigating such bad roads with a degree of confidence I am all ears, but I haven't seen it yet and I have looked and can't find anything.

And just to keep things in perspective, 1500 a year, / 356 days is just a fraction over 4 a day across the entire US with all those vehicles on the road every day. I know it doesn't help when it's someone you know who is killed or hurt, but this is a small number of incidents.

The CDC says
Every day, 28 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.
This doesn't include those who are injured, only deaths.
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

Last edited:

Must be something cause I know there are some that "like doing it", they do it on purpose because "they aren't speeding". They don't like being passed by others who are speeding so they purposefully tie up the passing lane by driving side by side with someone in the right lane so no one can pass. I remember this jackass talking about how he pissed some guy off doing this. These inconsiderate sanctimonious holier than thou assholes actually think they are doing something good.

But that's just when they are being obstinate. When they aren't and I bust it up to 58 in a 60 and leave them behind, they are all about driving 65 to catch back up with me.

Driving to work one morning a couple years ago, I'm in the left lane about a half mile out from where I need to make a left. PT Cruiser with religious bumper stickers is going 35 in a 45, so I pass it in the center lane. The zealot speeds up to catch me and follows me into my place of work wanting to start something. I calmly get security while ignoring him all the way and that was the end of that. I've never seen that car again. Didn't know if I wronged him in some way or he just wanted to spread the word of Jesus...

So many people seem to thing that self-driving cars are the answer because they will be better than people. I'm not so sure. Despite the belief of supporters, computers can and do make mistakes. They are just different than the kind that humans make. I think a better approach would be to develop technology to help the human driver do a better job. Heads up displays showing critical information to help keep the driver's eyes on the road. Automated systems to watch the space around the car and assist the driver in maintaining situational awareness. Infrared and other sensors to help identify and alert drivers to hazards such as debris or animals on the road. Communications between cars so that if the person in front of you lets off the gas, for example, your car can know they will be slowing down before you even start to close the distance which can give you an extra second or more to help prevent a rear-end accident. There are too many judgement calls that need to be made when driving and I don't like the idea of leaving that to software.

You would probably be less likely to give someone the finger if you knew they were rushing to the hospital in an emergency, right?
Wouldn't change my opinion at all, as everyone has a "medical emergency", when generally they don't and are just lying a-holes.

Fact is, we've imported so many that come from bad or no driving culture, and our streets simply aren't disciplined enough to be safe. The solution is to either: 1) Quadruple the police force, which means more taxes, and have them really really forcing people to use blinker, to stop driving on the shoulder, to stop passing over solid lines, etc. 2) Remove the driver from the equation.

I'm fine with BOTH.

Bull, it's selfishness. Driving back down out of the mountains in Tahoe on 2 lanes, this is the pattern - trucks doing 30 MPH or so due to the grade are in the right lane. Everyone else is in the left lane doing 60-70 MPH. Assholes zoom up in the right lane, passing people, then smash brakes down to 30 mph just behind a truck, then merge into the left, causing 50+ vehicles to slow to ~30mph or less.

Rinse, repeat, all the way up/down the g(*#@n mountain.

And this communication method would just result in 75% of people setting their status to "emergency I'm heading to the hospital".

So many people seem to thing that self-driving cars are the answer because they will be better than people. I'm not so sure. Despite the belief of supporters, computers can and do make mistakes. They are just different than the kind that humans make. I think a better approach would be to develop technology to help the human driver do a better job. Heads up displays showing critical information to help keep the driver's eyes on the road. Automated systems to watch the space around the car and assist the driver in maintaining situational awareness. Infrared and other sensors to help identify and alert drivers to hazards such as debris or animals on the road. Communications between cars so that if the person in front of you lets off the gas, for example, your car can know they will be slowing down before you even start to close the distance which can give you an extra second or more to help prevent a rear-end accident. There are too many judgement calls that need to be made when driving and I don't like the idea of leaving that to software.

Yes, but I have a story.

I bought a new 2015 Challenger all tricked out with great safety features. One of the best was the warning indicators for the blindspots that the Challenger definitively has.

Then I had a business trip I had to take and decided I'd rent a Charger for the drive and enjoy the trip. They didn't want me to drive my own car. So I paid a little extra out of my own pocket and rented the Charger. I almost ran someone off the road because I looked for the blindspot warning indicator before swapping lanes and there wasn't a lite, so I started moving over. It took my mind a moment to realize that I had seen a car there next to me even though the indicator didn't tell me.

Well the rental didn't have all those safety features but the Charger isn't as bad as a Challenger so I actually saw the other car, it just took my brain longer to process the discrepancy because I wasn't looking for a car, I was looking for a light in the mirror.

What is relevant here is the concept that it can be a real adjustment moving away from these kinds of features. The more dependent a person becomes the more dangerous they are when they no longer have them.

Yes, but I have a story.

I bought a new 2015 Challenger all tricked out with great safety features. One of the best was the warning indicators for the blindspots that the Challenger definitively has.

Then I had a business trip I had to take and decided I'd rent a Charger for the drive and enjoy the trip. They didn't want me to drive my own car. So I paid a little extra out of my own pocket and rented the Charger. I almost ran someone off the road because I looked for the blindspot warning indicator before swapping lanes and there wasn't a lite, so I started moving over. It took my mind a moment to realize that I had seen a car there next to me even though the indicator didn't tell me.

Well the rental didn't have all those safety features but the Charger isn't as bad as a Challenger so I actually saw the other car, it just took my brain longer to process the discrepancy because I wasn't looking for a car, I was looking for a light in the mirror.

What is relevant here is the concept that it can be a real adjustment moving away from these kinds of features. The more dependent a person becomes the more dangerous they are when they no longer have them.

Oh yeah, there is a risk there during the transition. Same thing happened with antilock brakes. But still worth doing anyway since there is a net benefit.

Yes, but I have a story.

That's a long story, but I don't really know where you're going with it.

Are you saying that there shouldn't be new safety features because it confuses people?

Are you saying that there shouldn't be new safety features because it confuses people?
No, he's saying that it can be a crutch that your brain comes to rely upon that can be a shock if it's taken away. One must still exercise common sense.

Must be something cause I know there are some that "like doing it", they do it on purpose because "they aren't speeding". They don't like being passed by others who are speeding so they purposefully tie up the passing lane by driving side by side with someone in the right lane so no one can pass. I remember this jackass talking about how he pissed some guy off doing this. These inconsiderate sanctimonious holier than thou assholes actually think they are doing something good.

But that's just when they are being obstinate. When they aren't and I bust it up to 58 in a 60 and leave them behind, they are all about driving 65 to catch back up with me.

It's not like there are no drivers hogging the left lane in Germany where there is no speed limit on most highways.

PaulP said he thinks there is more to be had through augmented reality features than true autonomous driving. I was simply expressing that all of that is terrific, but you have to realize that life changes fast when you are missing your toys. The loss of one safety feature nearly had me running a dude off the road or creating a big pile up.

And it wasn't that long of a story.

It's not like there are no drivers hogging the left lane in Germany where there is no speed limit on most highways.

Not sure what you mean exactly, I've been there, but I never lived there long enough to say I was ever comfortable driving in Germany. From what I saw, Germans don't hog the left lane on the autobahns except there is that occasional car that comes flying by so fast it seems they never move from the left lane at all. As fast as they are going, they can have it, at least they aren't running side by side with someone else so nobody can pass. That isn't their problem from what I saw.

Not sure what you mean exactly, I've been there, but I never lived there long enough to say I was ever comfortable driving in Germany. From what I saw, Germans don't hog the left lane on the autobahns except there is that occasional car that comes flying by so fast it seems they never move from the left lane at all. As fast as they are going, they can have it, at least they aren't running side by side with someone else so nobody can pass. That isn't their problem from what I saw.
I've been driving up and down Germany for years and it does happen. But mostly on roads with medium traffic. In heavy traffic you can't go fast anyway and in light traffic the majority goes where they should.

But of course the phenomenon you speak of with these self appointed speed enforcers does happen. But it's only a very small fraction of lane hoggers. Most doing it are really just clueless, and don't even know the keep right rule exists. We have signs on our major roads saying keep right, still they don't do it. The only thing left is to start fining people.

I hate the fact that police only ever seem concerned with speed limits, when there are tons of other offences that are very dangerous.

Should be extended to city streets. Actually, would rather see it on city streets than highways. I live in the city and I've seen several fatal accidents caused my driver incompetent.
While true, I am willing to leave the highways as a test bed for this for the simple fact that it could be easier to prevent drivers from getting on the freeway (2 lane "toll" type gate, car registers as a self driving car, then gate rises and lets you in, if not, then GTFO a series of barriers make you exit. Now is this ideal for speed? Yeah absolutely not, especially if you live anywhere where there are lots of people trying to get on the roads, but something needs to be done to prevent people from forcing their way onto the freeway thinking they can "drive just as well" and then royally fucking it up for all. Plus there's no pedestrians on the freeways, which IMO is big time.

Not until computer assisted driving systems can reliably deal with inclement road conditions. They can barely handle rain now and they can't handle snow and ice on the road surfaces that I have seen. Now if someone has information that shows them navigating such bad roads with a degree of confidence I am all ears, but I haven't seen it yet and I have looked and can't find anything.
I dunno, I have yet to see any computer assisted drivers on freeways, except maybe the high end Tesla models? But those are selfish autodrivers, they aren't communicating with other cars letting them know their status so that things can react instanteously. I mean I totally get the whole rain/snow crap... but I'm being selfish myself, I'm thinking some of the worst highway driving conditions in the country in the San Francisco bay area and greater Los Angeles area, where rain may be an issue but snow most certainly is not... who knows maybe with the technology the computer drivers actually keep reasonable distance given the road conditions unlike every fucking human driver I've seen who keeps the same distances whether rain or shine.

I'm not sure though. If I have to right, you would devote some highways to robot-cars only for development purposes. I suppose I can see it. I can see the country building a new special highway just for the purpose as well.

But what I can't see is implementing this on the regular highways and mandating robot-cars only. I think the robot-cars have to learn to deal with us fallible humans on the roads cause I am not ready to give up my right to drive myself. I'm one of those people who actually enjoys driving so I am not so easy to give that up.

I don't really care if a computer can do it better.

And as it states in every DMV handbook in every state, driving is a privilege not a right ;)

I would be ok with a concrete barrier dividing "robo lanes" and "idiot lanes", similar to how they do some carpool lanes in SoCal. The big problem with those though is that very often you have to still merge over to exit, some minor exemptions where highway designers makes exits on both sides (I want to say the Disenyland exit used to be this way).

The big problem is that technology isn't going to instantly upgrade all cars, like when ABS came out, so yeah a mass majority is going to have a kerfluffle if you tell them they can't drive on a particular highway. And the sad thing is you won't be able to tell if the plan is working on a small scale because so few cars will be auto-drive that there's just no telling. I want to say in San Diego or there abouts there was a plan to have a single lane as robo-drive, but this was decades ago before we had the technology we do in cars, wonder what happened to that.

Divided robo-lanes on the highway is the way to go. In theory, these should not only be more convenient, but should have less and faster moving traffic, greatly reducing commute times. This encourages use of the lanes, but the problem is... how do you enforce it? How can cameras or a cop or sensors or something recognize that you're in "autopilot" and not just some jerkoff in a 1992 Pontiac oil burner that doesn't like that its rush hour traffic in the regular lanes?

I like using my middle finger. I'd set my profile pic as a middle finger and have the camera pointed at a middle finger mannequin hand. That way they know what I think about their slow driving.

Back