Aug 2022 - FB account no longer required for Oculus, just a Meta account!

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
We want to give you more choices over how you express yourself in VR, and to do so we’re making changes to our Meta VR platform in August 2022. Along with these changes, we’re also updating our Oculus Terms of Service and related Commercial Terms, and Oculus Privacy Policy. We recommend that you review these updated documents, and the summary below of upcoming Meta VR platform changes:​
qUYrtKKWdv6tOxvSCscpWCWo9Cc8E8sVoCRBzJCj3z6W9v6M9xqlIk-eingmlZUGe9h6R30JhTM-WI3LykyPtT8pQh4OwIv3dqwYKLNBiudl_VRcjK-lORKtNzoHzYj8OR1z5gtSZrNRFHVXTsy9QhVb6CVgZfWrBrRxAWo=s0-d-e1-ft
•​
A Facebook account is no longer required to use Meta VR devices. Instead, you can update your Oculus account to a Meta account, which lets you log into your VR devices and view and manage your purchased apps in one place. You can set up a Meta account using your email
address or Facebook account, and as part of the process we’ll migrate your existing VR information (including apps, achievements, and
friends) to this account.​
qUYrtKKWdv6tOxvSCscpWCWo9Cc8E8sVoCRBzJCj3z6W9v6M9xqlIk-eingmlZUGe9h6R30JhTM-WI3LykyPtT8pQh4OwIv3dqwYKLNBiudl_VRcjK-lORKtNzoHzYj8OR1z5gtSZrNRFHVXTsy9QhVb6CVgZfWrBrRxAWo=s0-d-e1-ft
•​
If you don’t want to set up a Meta account right now, you can continue using your Oculus account until January 1, 2023. After this date a Meta account will be required to continue using your Meta VR devices.​
Well, that's so much better!

Dipshits.

Edit: Just to be clear...
•​
End date for Oculus account support: We also added a statement as a reminder that support for Oculus accounts will end on January 1, 2023 and you will need to set up a Meta account to continue using our VR devices thereafter.​

Last edited:
the ole' bait and switch

Previously I was surprised to hear they wouldn't require a FB account. But now it makes sense now, it would be surprising to see Zuck try anything anti-draconian

the ole' bait and switch

Previously I was surprised to hear they wouldn't require a FB account. But now it makes sense now, it would be surprising to see Zuck try anything anti-draconian

I don’t recall ever reading any real information other than it would require a Meta or Facebook account. Did see a lot of hopes and dreams, but those aren’t worth much.

I don’t recall ever reading any real information other than it would require a Meta or Facebook account. Did see a lot of hopes and dreams, but those aren’t worth much.
https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-ques...andatory-facebook-account-log-in-requirement/

Convenient simultaneous announcements of the name change to "Meta" and that the Quest would "soon" no longer require a "Facebook" account.
The big Facebook news today is that it's changing its company name to Meta(opens in new tab), but another bit of interesting information from the Facebook Connect Livestream(opens in new tab) is that Oculus Quest VR headsets will stop requiring Facebook accounts soon.

A bit confusing. I've wanted to delete my Facebook account for a long while now, but I've had to keep it for the sake of my Quest 2 purchases.

I still recall how everybody was adamant that Oculus would never require a Facebook account. That Oculus would continue to work independent of Facebook despite the enormous investment.

I already sold my Rift S and have no plans to buy anything else from them. I will be fine with abandoning my account/purchases. I didn't buy that much from them anyway. Crossing my fingers for a new Index announcement or if Sony's upcoming VR set will support PC.

I already sold my Rift S and have no plans to buy anything else from them. I will be fine with abandoning my account/purchases. I didn't buy that much from them anyway. Crossing my fingers for a new Index announcement or if Sony's upcoming VR set will support PC.
No official announcement as of yet, but there have been discoveries of a standalone headset from Valve being in development.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-patent-filing-deckard-design/

As long as the new Meta account is not tied to the Facebook social media account I consider this a huge win. We used to have Oculus account only, separate from the FB account, and if this new (and it should) account is going back to the old Oculus account days (under the new name Meta) then I am not sure what is the problem some of you have. If you ever were original Oculus Rift CV1 user like me then this should be a good thing. The FB account linking was something that should not have ever happened.

but doesn't just about everything require an account these days? It's getting tiresome overall.
I cannot remember the last thing I purchased that is in any way connected online that didn't require registering an account, or at least linking to an already existing account like Google or Facebook.

Back