Auditing Software for Small/Medium Businesses

exchange keys

Limp Gawd
We're a small company (50-75 users) with about 30+ applications on several Windows XP and 7 workstations and laptops. We got a lot of onsite and remote users. We're getting new computers (x64), and migrating to Windows 7 SP1 solely.

I'd like to audit the current computers before the migration. I'd like to have a list of 3rd party software that explains version/build, Microsoft software (e.g., Office, SQL Express) versions and builds, hardware components (e.g., CPU, memory, disk space/logical drives, video card), OS version, service pack, x64 or x86 architecture, and printer/scanner/other peripherals that are connected through USB or network. I'd like it to have some nice reporting style, and export the data into a CSV, Excel, or HTML file. I'd like to present the data to upper management for later use.

I'm looking for something like WinAudit, but I think we could use something more like a script. Either VBS or PowerShell. As long as it isn't very bulky or complicated (i.e., no centralized server). I also don't mind spending money on the audit software either, as long as it is easy to use. I also hope to use this software across VPN connections (remote users) or different sites (across WAN links).

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a non-server based solution, but I have Kaspersky anti-virus on our network and the Network Agent gives reports on all computers with the information you are looking for. Of course, that is a paid product designed for more than auditing purposes.

The other possible solution is SpiceWorks. It is free, but again, it is server based.... but I wouldn't call it bulky or complicated.

spiceworks can take an inventory for you, but you will need to run it on a pc/server

SIW has an export to file function from the command line. I think they still have a demo of the pro version (needed to be able to remotely run it) so just do it quickly and it will not cost anything.

I'll have to dig up a link for you but Microsoft has specific tools to audit and prep yourself for Windows 7 migration. Look up their migration preparation tools.

PM me email and I can send it, too long to post here.

I image it's what stilner listed, had a contractor set this up so I'm not too familiar with it.

I would like to suggest you to use particular tool which will fulfill your all requirement like windows auditing including all software you mentioned ..

it will generate reports in HTML ,csv format also ...you can set some alert for any critical event and audit purpose

http://www.windowseventlogmonitor.com/

try this out and keep updating us

That web page seems to indicate it is log monitoring, does not say anything about auditing software etc on systems......

Back