Audio Technica headphone - ATH-AD500 $54 FS

jamaicanpi

Limp Gawd
A couple of vendors are selling the ATH-AD500 headphones. These headphones are made by Audio Technica and are an open-air design.

They are extremely comfortable and do not rely on clamping pressure to stay on. Instead, there are a pair of pads that support the weight of the headphones and rest comfortably on the top of your head. The sound quality is excellent.

I am not an audiophile, but my understanding of open-air headphones is that it is not a design intended for bass enthusiasts. I think anyone else who is considering a $50 pair of headphones will be extremely pleased with this model.

Specifications

Both of the below vendors are offering Free Shipping

$55 @ amazon (3rd party seller: Beach Camera)
$54 @ buydig.com

If you are interested in price tracking:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Technica-ATH-AD500-Full-Size-Open-Air-Headphones/product/B000CMLZEG
^These are not the cheapest they have ever been at amazon ($50), but it is close and I don't know if free shipping was part of that cost.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I paid $110 for mine last year. still running strong. if u have a small head like myself there's a rubber band mod so it doesnt slip off your head. They work great sound great and are cheap. They are pretty durable as well ive dropped them quite a few times. Only the metal mesh on the sides got slightly dented in but an easy fix

I almost got these instead of the Superlux 668B... now I'm tempted to grab them just so I can hear the differences.

I know my new Superlux use the exact same auto-adjusting fit with the padded 'wings' and they are uber comfortable so these should be the same. Never worn a more comfortable set of headphones.

I paid $110 for mine last year. still running strong. if u have a small head like myself there's a rubber band mod so it doesnt slip off your head. They work great sound great and are cheap. They are pretty durable as well ive dropped them quite a few times. Only the metal mesh on the sides got slightly dented in but an easy fix

Im in the market for a set of headphones, I will also need a mic for online gaming, any suggestions for a decent clip on. Im curious about this rubber band mod.

Link please

Im in the market for a set of headphones, I will also need a mic for online gaming, any suggestions for a decent clip on. Im curious about this rubber band mod.

Link please

the ice-mat siberia clip-on mic is decent.. you can catch them on ebay for 10-15$

I paid $110 for mine last year.

Did you get the AD500 or the 700? $110 seems pricey for the 500. This is a nice price, as they usually tend to be in the $70 range. The AD700 as been at the $100 ballpark for a while now.

I almost got these instead of the Superlux 668B... now I'm tempted to grab them just so I can hear the differences.

I want to try the 668B's. I'm thinking you might want to try the 681 instead, that's what I have and I love mine especially at the price I paid (~$33). From what I read they'd make a good complement to your 668B's which I understand to be on the bassy side.

I've owned the AD900, which were super comfortable and the pads were super cushy. My only issue with them (I believe this to be the case with all the AD series up to, but not including, the AD2000) was that they lacked bass impact and (this might be an issue for all) the drivers rested on my ears slightly, even though they were over-the-ear. So after some time (we're talking more than an hour here) my ears would start to hurt. Other than that though, they were really open sounding and was great for vocal and orchestral pieces (for me). [FWIW, the closed back A series, vs. AD, are also well regarded for gaming around here].

Still, @$55 these headphones are great buy and would make great all rounders; nothing in this price range comes for a full-size headphone.

I own the closed back brother of these, and they have horrible positional audio. I had to take them off my main gaming rig, other wise decent sound. Anyhow music, yes gaming no.

If anyone needs an addon mic check out the antlion mod mic. More expensive but its better quality than most of the junky cheap clip ons as far as sound is concerned and it lets you attack it like a normal mike so you can position it correctly.

I'm wearing the AD700s now and I love em. If those are of similar quality then you can't go wrong. I use a Zalman clip on. It's not perfect but it certainly gets the job done and it was only ~$5.

Back