Audio-Technica ATH M50 vs V-Moda Crossfade LP Durability?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
Let me preface this by saying I am not really an audiophile. I started looking for a set of cans because my past ones have all had a single point of failure, the plastic joints just near the cans and adjustment band =/ In other words, durable construction was going to be a priority for me in my search.

I've read many forums and reviews praising the ATH-M50's for the sound quality and have no doubts. The LP's seem to have mixed reviews regarding sound quality (muddy bass, mid range issues etc - I have no idea what that really means!), but are said to be very sturdy.

Construction wise, the LP's seem solid due to the metal frame build. The M50's are heavy plastic, which worries me from my past headphone failures. Aesthetically, the Vmoda's are more blingy ( but I would get the black version), and the M50's are understated and clean.

The detachable cords on the Vmoda's are also appealing to me vs the permanent of the M50's. (do detachable cords introduce more points of failure?)

Anyway, I would just like to ask opinions on which headphones would last longer and which ones you would choose out of the two? My usage is mainly limited to my PC (games, music, movies), so portability is not really an issue as they are in one place, but i do twist and put them on and off often.

Price wise, they are about the same (around $100 from Amazon - matches my budget).

Any opinions/advice are appreciated!

Last edited:
I think only audiophiles are allowed to refer to headphones as cans. I bought M50 Audio Technica before I deployed to Afghanistan and they survived. The plastic worried me too but they are built very well.

Honestly I think if you are looking for sound quality then the Crossfade LP is not worthy of being compared to the M50. You should look at the M-80 and V-80 (one of them has a microphone) if you are looking for an M50 level of sound quality.

I've heard good things about the M50's durability too, at least the headphone itself but IDK about the cable. As long you aren't pulling hard on the cable or rolling over it often with your computer chair it really should be fine. They usually don't go bad unless you stress them.

Honestly I think if you are looking for sound quality then the Crossfade LP is not worthy of being compared to the M50. You should look at the M-80 and V-80 (one of them has a microphone) if you are looking for an M50 level of sound quality.

I've heard good things about the M50's durability too, at least the headphone itself but IDK about the cable. As long you aren't pulling hard on the cable or rolling over it often with your computer chair it really should be fine. They usually don't go bad unless you stress them.

The only thing is that both the m80 and v80 are on ear phones instead of over ear :/ maybe the lp2's instead of the lp1's? ( don't know if they are even improved over the Lp1's).

I'm leaning towards the vmoda's simply because of the metal frame and cables. idk. Already cancelled my order twice on amazon going back and forth in my head!

Yeah I understand your reservations about on-ear, it's not very comfortable. Well then I guess you should go with the M50 because there is no comparison between the M50's sound quality and the Crossfade's.

Here is a giant roundup of portable headphones. The M50 gets 8.75 for sound quality, the Crossfade gets 6.25, and the M-80 gets 9 for sound quality. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/sho...s-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Hey OP I just saw this myself but if you are just going to be using these headphones with your computer for general use you should check out the:

(C34) Panasonic RP-HTF600-S - Added 04/29/12

In the roundup that I linked earlier it gets a 7.75 for sound quality which is significantly more than the Crossfade. I think that's getting into entry level audiophile territory. And it's only $30 from Amazon so if something happens to it you're not out much.

Here's a link to the headphones for $30 at Amazon in case you're interested. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPH...phones/dp/B004MMEI8W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah I understand your reservations about on-ear, it's not very comfortable. Well then I guess you should go with the M50 because there is no comparison between the M50's sound quality and the Crossfade's.

Here is a giant roundup of portable headphones. The M50 gets 8.75 for sound quality, the Crossfade gets 6.25, and the M-80 gets 9 for sound quality. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/sho...s-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Yup. Saw that round up earlier also = ) Anyway, decided to go and see them both in person. Couldn't try the Vmoda's because of the ridiculous sealed packaging (& because the only place that had them was GameStop :rolleyes:).

Tried the M50's at Guitar Center and bought them (they price matched Amazon too :D). I'll see how they fare in regards to use for two weeks and see how it goes. They sound awesome though!

Also tried some BeyerDynamic DT 770's. They had a metal frame construction but were more expensive than I liked =/

The M50s take a bit of breaking in before they REALLY come alive. If they are a bit tight on your head, stretch them over the top of the box they came in and run some white/pink noise on loop for a few hours. It helped mine a ton.

The M50s take a bit of breaking in before they REALLY come alive. If they are a bit tight on your head, stretch them over the top of the box they came in and run some white/pink noise on loop for a few hours. It helped mine a ton.

Thanks. Will do. Know any good sources for White/pink noise please?

EDIT: Never mind, found a generator. SimplyNoise.com

Last edited:
Back