Audio-Technica ATH-A900X (or AD900) Headphones $128 @Buydig w/V.me

I bit on the AD900s. Best price I have seen for them. I considered buying them last year when I bought some AD700s which I love for gaming and music.

Going to give the AD700s to a girl friend. :)

Thanks OP.

The A900X is a league above the M50 - they're currently the best value/price ratio you can get at the moment. IMO it sounds better than the K550 and competes in the $300 range.

I haven't heard the AD900, since it's supposed to be bass-light. But it's also supposed to be one of the best open-back headphones in the price range (A+ on DavidMahler's flagship review on Head-Fi).

In sum, both are incredible deals.

I have the A900x broken in now. You simply can't beat this value. I upgraded from an old Sennheiser 555. Now looking to pair these with a headphone amp.

damn definitely not what i needed to see, but i bit. I own a pair of hd650's but I want a decent pair of closed back headphones to compliment my collection.

Has anyone ever traveled with the A900X's? I want to bite on this deal so bad, but their primary purpose would be for when I fly. I'd hate to break them flying every week tossing them in and out of my backpack when they don't appear to fold up.

Has anyone ever traveled with the A900X's? I want to bite on this deal so bad, but their primary purpose would be for when I fly. I'd hate to break them flying every week tossing them in and out of my backpack when they don't appear to fold up.

You can get a Slappa full size headphone case for $30. Tight fit but they offer good protection and not bulky.

The A900X is a league above the M50

Can you explain why? Deeper bass, more comfortable, clearer highs, bigger soundstage? I have the M50s and wouldn't mind swapping up if these ones match my needs.

I'm biting my nails on this deal. I have a HD555 sennehsier foam modded to 595's atm. I USE to have ath-a900's...They were simply amazing and would love to grab a new pair. But I want open ear this time, especially for the summer since it gets hot. But I'm hearing a few downsides for the AD900 model..plus they are only offering the standard version and not the AD900x..=*(...

For those considering this though and don't mind closed ear sets..Definitely nab those A900x headphones...An improved version of the AD900's...and it indeed was one of the best headphones I've ever owned..Amazing treble, range..It was a dream to listen to music and movies, I used it for gaming as well. The only downside about the headphones was the bass, not as loud as what I would of preferred. But the AD900x's seem to offer more bass...A steal imo...BAH...if only they had the AD900x on sale >_<..I want open air this time...

I'm biting my nails on this deal. I have a HD555 sennehsier foam modded to 595's atm. I USE to have ath-a900's...They were simply amazing and would love to grab a new pair. But I want open ear this time, especially for the summer since it gets hot. But I'm hearing a few downsides for the AD900 model..plus they are only offering the standard version and not the AD900x..=*(...

For those considering this though and don't mind closed ear sets..Definitely nab those A900x headphones...An improved version of the AD900's...and it indeed was one of the best headphones I've ever owned..Amazing treble, range..It was a dream to listen to music and movies, I used it for gaming as well. The only downside about the headphones was the bass, not as loud as what I would of preferred. But the AD900x's seem to offer more bass...A steal imo...BAH...if only they had the AD900x on sale >_<..I want open air this time...

Uhhh...they do?

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATATHAD900

$150 AD900's.

Kinda messed up they offer the A900X's but not the AD900x's =*(...boo hoo for me =*(.

Can you explain why? Deeper bass, more comfortable, clearer highs, bigger soundstage? I have the M50s and wouldn't mind swapping up if these ones match my needs.

I never had them side by side to compare, but the difference is pretty significant. First is the soundstage. The M50 is very closed-off, and soundstage is below average IMO for closed cans. The A900X's have angled drivers- you will see when you wear them that inside the cups the drivers are tilted almost 40 degrees or so. As a result you get a more spacious, 3D sound. A lot better for gaming, too.

The bass quantity is on par with the M50s - very punchy and deep. On the other hand you get a fuller sounding mids and a sparkly, detailed treble without harshness of the cymbals or whatnot. I think the additional detail is a substantial upgrade- somehow they've made the A900X sound clearer and with more resolution than the M50s.

The fact that this is even cheaper than M50's regular price of ~$150-160, it's a no brainer.

I got the A900X last time around for same price. Just make sure you burn them in for at least 50-100 hours. I hook them up to my iphone and just let it play all night long while I sleep.

I think Ikasu is asking for the "AD900X" which is here http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHAD900X going for $239.

FWIW....the AD900x is made in China, while the older AD900 was made in Japan. In fact, the only models in the series still made in Japan are the AD1000x and 2000x. Everything up to the 900x is now made in China. I haven't heard the newer model, but from what I understand, AT tweaked the bass response and cheapened the construction and cable quality slightly. The AD900 is still one of my favorite headphones of all time-beautiful midrange, sparkling, lush high end, and fast, airy bass that is punchy and adequate unless you're primarily listening to very bass heavy music. I would recommend them over the A900x, which I found to have harsher treble and a slightly hollow, honky, and recessed midrange in comparison to the AD900.

This deal is awfully tempting, but I'm going to keep pinching pennies and look for a good deal on the older brother, the AD2000.

Last edited:
Hey fellas whats a good filo amp to run with the A900X? I'd like to hook them up to my PC as well as my iphone. My PC currently has just the onboard soundcard, nothing after market.

You mean FiiO, yes? If you want to be mobile (which I'm guessing you will be with the iphone), look into the E11. If you just want to make use of these at home, it's tough to beat the E9/E9K for the price.

You could also look into the E10, which has a DAC, but will set you back a bit more than the E11. That's dependent upon whether you can easily send a digital sound signal out through the iphone, which I have no clue about.

Last edited:
I bought one of each... even if I don't like them, they would make a great gift for anyone who appreciates decent audio.

We are unable to process your card. Please enter new card details to proceed with payment.

Fuck it, $20 off is not the greatest deal ever and not worth the hassle...

You mean FiiO, yes? If you want to be mobile (which I'm guessing you will be with the iphone), look into the E11. If you just want to make use of these at home, it's tough to beat the E9/E9K for the price.

You could also look into the E10, which has a DAC, but will set you back a bit more than the E11. That's dependent upon whether you can easily send a digital sound signal out through the iphone, which I have no clue about.

I ended up getting the FiiO E17 USB DAC amp for $99 from B&H. :D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839353-REG/Fiio_E17_E17_USB_DAC_Headphone.html

Same :) How do these compare to 558/598's? I have a pair of 598s on the way, but they are refurbished with only 90 day warranty. Would this be a better way to go?

I tried the AD900, last summer, but had to return them after only a few days. For some bizarre reason, they made my ears itch uncontrollably within just a few minutes. I have no idea why, but there was no resolving it.

I'm tempted to get the A900X. Are the ear pads the same foam material as on the AD900/AD700? I plan on using them exclusively for gaming.

I tried the AD900, last summer, but had to return them after only a few days. For some bizarre reason, they made my ears itch uncontrollably within just a few minutes. I have no idea why, but there was no resolving it.

I'm tempted to get the A900X. Are the ear pads the same foam material as on the AD900/AD700? I plan on using them exclusively for gaming.

The ADs have velour pads, the A900x has pleather pads.

The ADs have velour pads, the A900x has pleather pads.
Thanks for the info. The AD900 I tried didn't have velour pads. They were more like a prickly foam, for lack of a better phrase. My DT880 has velour covered pads that are very comfy and nothing like what was on the AD900.

Pleather pads make my ears sweat, so I guess I'll just stick with my Beyers.

Thanks for the info. The AD900 I tried didn't have velour pads. They were more like a prickly foam, for lack of a better phrase. My DT880 has velour covered pads that are very comfy and nothing like what was on the AD900.

Pleather pads make my ears sweat, so I guess I'll just stick with my Beyers.

I believe you just happened to have a reaction to the type and quality of velour that ATH sells. Beyer is definitely more comfortable and less irritating, but they are both velour.

just bought it for 128$ flat free shipping no tax. I hope they are better than the senn hd 280 pros ive been using for the past 4 years, i cant stand the senn's anymore.

OK, is there any reason to consider any other cans over these for the price? I'm ready to pull the trigger...

OK, is there any reason to consider any other cans over these for the price? I'm ready to pull the trigger...

Several, that I can think of. If you want/need closed cans, want something smaller or even portable, have a small head, or demand big bass impact, you want to buy something else. Otherwise, these are very good cans, especially for the price.

Several, that I can think of. If you want/need closed cans, want something smaller or even portable, have a small head, or demand big bass impact, you want to buy something else. Otherwise, these are very good cans, especially for the price.

Don't really care open/closed, but I think I'd prefer closed. Portability doesn't matter, my head is on the large size if anything, and I don't need massive bass (as long as it has some bass). Therefore, pretty sure I'm gonna order the A900X now. I'm coming from a gaming headset (SteelSeries 5Hv2) for home use and the Klipsch S4 IEMs for travel/work. So, I imagine the A900X will be a slight upgrade... ;)

Don't really care open/closed, but I think I'd prefer closed. Portability doesn't matter, my head is on the large size if anything, and I don't need massive bass (as long as it has some bass). Therefore, pretty sure I'm gonna order the A900X now. I'm coming from a gaming headset (SteelSeries 5Hv2) for home use and the Klipsch S4 IEMs for travel/work. So, I imagine the A900X will be a slight upgrade... ;)

It will be more than a slight upgrade. I used to have the a900's and I will tell you now, any headset you get for gaming that has a microphone on there for around 150-200 will be garbage compared to these sets. Since the steel series ayou have is an 80 dollars headset, you will be astonished tat the difference..

One word of advice to anyone buying audiophile headpohones...YOU HAVE TO BURN THEM IN!. Do not just plug them in and take what you first hear as the final form of audio from the headphones. You literally need to leave the headphones on and just playing either burn in tracks or random music for 50-100 hours before the drivers full burn in. Once they do, they sound simply phenomenal..

Don't really care open/closed, but I think I'd prefer closed. Portability doesn't matter...

If you want the best sound open are reportedly the best for over all audio quality.

Back