Audio Technica AG1 Gaming Headphones

madFive

metal[H]ead
OMG, I just noticed that these exist. So much want! :eek:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/568b166395264eb0/index.html

I need to start selling off all the other headphone gear I own to get a pair of these. :D

Code:
Type:                Closed-back dynamic 
Driver:              Diameter 53 mm 
Frequency Response:  5 – 35,000 Hz

Anyone had a chance to try these yet? Please try to talk me out of these (I really don't need them). My current headphones are the ATH-A900's, and they sound amazing, but require a clip-on mic for online sessions. The AG1's look like a sizeable improvement in SQ, with a nice mic added too.

$300 for a pair of labeled " gaming " headphones with a USB dac and mic? For that much you can get better all around headphones and slap a mod mic on it ...

Eh, don't let the gaming label fool you - AT puts out some very high quality sound gear - to me the label means something completely different when coming from a manufacturer like this. The ATH-A900's I'm using now were around $220, and they really do sound like it. The output specs on these AG1's are right in line with those, and the inclusion of the mic is an addition that I'm sure a lot of their user base was asking for. AT makes plenty of pro studio mics, so I trust them to get the mic part right as well. I could care less about the inclusion of USB-DAK, but I guess it's nice to know you can use 'em wherever if you're traveling if you're away from your main rig.

I'll be very tempted to jump on these when they're down in the $250 range - looks like a very sweet setup!

It will not be an improvement in sound quality. You want the same sound and convenience for less? Buy a mod mic and slap it on your existing A900s.

This headset is the same as the headphones you already have with a boom mic.

I'm tempted to grab the open pair to test out. 320 seems steep, but I've spent more on less. Crap DAC and a good mic may be worth the extra 100 bucks for some people I guess.

Yeah, these just came out, so apparently supply hasn't caught up yet and they're still going for over MSRP, which is pretty dumb. I'd say these should be well worth around $250.

It will not be an improvement in sound quality. You want the same sound and convenience for less? Buy a mod mic and slap it on your existing A900s.

This headset is the same as the headphones you already have with a boom mic.

Yeah, I had to go back and re-read the specs on A900, but apparently the AG1's aren't exactly the upgrade I thought they would be. Looks almost identical. Guess I'll stick with my A900 + clip-on mic rig for the time being.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AG1 (closed) and ATH-ADG1 (open) are selling for around $230 right now on Newegg. Occasionally you can get them for cheaper on Ebay. They are practially identical to the A700s (as stated by Audio-Technica themselves in the Q&A section of their website) with the addition of the mic. If you don't want to spend $230+, ModMic or a clip-on mic is your best friend :)

I'd probably do an ATH MSR7 and a modmic instead. The MSR7 really measures well and sounds great.

Back