audio stutter in windows 7 after big ram increase

vibe

[H]ard|Gawd
I am pretty sure this is due to me adding 16gb of ram for 20gb total

apparently it is allowing windows to create such a huge write back cache and then delaying write backs so long that it seizes too much resources on the system when it finally goes to catch up and then the audio stutters

when I disable write backs on the SSD, the audio seems to stay stable

is there a way to limit the write back cache size? is that the proper way to fix this?

That is strange.

Do you have Hibernate enabled? If so, it is going to now be using 20GB of space on your SSD.

To disable it, open up an admin command prompt and enter this command to turn it off.

powercfg -h off

What are the rest of your system specs?

Sounds to me like something else is off. I have 32GB or RAM in my main rig and I haven't noticed anything like this.

Also have 32GB of RAM in my work computer and haven't noticed this.

I don't use hibernate and I already limited the swap file to 4GB

However I also found a link for the latest beta realtek audio drivers and upgraded that, as well as my IDE adapter drivers (for old DVD burner I like, no IDE ports) and that may have been the problem solved.

Still strange I only experienced it after the huge ram increase though.

Hearing it again during high loads, like when using VMware

What's strange is the EXACT same hardware under XP never had audio stutter, even under the highest loads.

64bit must work differently. There have been a lot of disappointments with the switchover.

Back