Audio Setup for PC, four Consoles, and cable box

oneils

Limp Gawd
A year or so ago, I set up a 50 inch sony bravia tv in my office.

Right now, I have a pc, three consoles, a cable box attached to it. It is a bit of a pain.

I have some self-powered maudio speakers attached to the tv for audio. The speakers only have two analog inputs. Switching between pc and the consoles is a real pain.

I don't really know where to start. I would like to have a setup where I don't have to switch out plugs anymore. Passing the cable box through the xbox one simplifies things somewhat.

Anyone have any advice on how to start? Is there an amp/receiver out there that I could plug in all my devices to, via hdmi? From there, I'm thinking a 2.0 or 2.1 set up would be fine. The room is only 11x13, so I don't really have much space for 5 or 7 speaker setup.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure about a budget. Would like to keep it under $1k.

For the receiver I'd recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V37...=UTF8&qid=1445713116&sr=8-1&keywords=receiver

If you want some speakers to go with it I'd say wait for the Infinity Primus P363 to go on sale for $100 either through Amazon or Fry's, best bang for your buck IMO. You can setup an alert on a site like Slickdeals to notify you when that happens, which is about once a month.

I'm not sure what's the best for a cheap, small sub, but maybe:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10...UTF8&qid=1445713272&sr=1-1&keywords=subwoofer
which is the current top seller on Amazon. I have the Klipsch Sub12HG which I got for $199 (also Slickdeals) and is a beast but is probably more power than you need.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The reciever would need preouts to use your current active speakers. I am assuming all your boxes are hdmi. If you are getting new passive speakers preouts wont be needed

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Motzinator, I'll look into that. My thinking was that I would buy new passive speakers....but if I can keep them - hey that's would be cool too.

That receiver on amazon has 1 stereo preout. That outlaw is cool but waste of $ for 2.1 and has no amplifier

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for more tips, guys.

The talk about switches and other cables made me think...

I had a look around in my cable "bag" (lol) and found an hdmi switch. I'm going to see if this works for me.

Another issue, I think, is pc audio over HDMI is sometimes a pain for me. When I put my PC to sleep and wake it up, the audio is all messed up when its coming via hdmi. Anyone know how to prevent that?

Back