audio from Westy 37w3 to z5500

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
hey all,

thought perhaps i'd ask this question here.

At the moment, whenever I play the Wii (hooked up via component to TV) or Comcast cable (hooked up via HDMI), the sound would come out through the TV's speakers.

However, I have the Logitech z-5500's and was wondering how I would send the sound from the TV to the speakers.

if im not mistaken, looking to the rear of the tv shows that there are 2 red/white RCA jacks with audio out.

How would I go from RCA out (tv) to either coax or optical in to my speakers? if there is an adapter or cable, where on monoprice? (tried looking but to no avail)

thank you

To do that you would have to get an analog to digital converter, which isn't built into any cable I've ever seen. Doesn't your TV have optical out?

Negative.. I believe it is just these:

1 x HDMI-HDCP Side
5 x Stereo Audio Line In Side
2 x DVI-HDCP Side
1 x D-Sub (HD-15) VGA In Side
1 x Audio Line In Side
1 x S-Video Side
1 x Stereo Audio Line Out Side
1 x Composite Video In Side
2 x Component Video In Side

Just 1 x Stereo audio line out.. does that mean it is impossible to send that audio signal to the z-5500's ?

Sounds like you need a DTS decoder.

Any recommended brands? Doing a quick search on google yields pretty vague results of actual hardware. Also, are they pretty expensive? I'd like to minimize the cost as much as possible, but if this is the only route, doesn't look like i'll have a choice :(

Any recommended brands? Doing a quick search on google yields pretty vague results of actual hardware. Also, are they pretty expensive? I'd like to minimize the cost as much as possible, but if this is the only route, doesn't look like i'll have a choice :(

I'm not sure if you could get by with something like a Creative Extigy or not-I will look into it for you.

Thanks again. With how popular this monitor is.. and along with the speakers, I really am surprised that there isn't an immediate solution of the top of people's heads to connect these two great peripherals together :)

What you need is a Creative DDTS 100 decoder. I had one for my Klipsch 5.1 ultras and worked great :) Only place left to find them is on Ebay, but they are going for a ton of $$$ since their not made anymore.

What you need is a Creative DDTS 100 decoder. I had one for my Klipsch 5.1 ultras and worked great :) Only place left to find them is on Ebay, but they are going for a ton of $$$ since their not made anymore.

Thanks chris, that's what I was thinking of. I don't know if an extigy would work or not as well, and they are heaps cheaper...wait until someone with more knowledge sees this thread :p

At least you got responses I just asked this 3 days ago if the z5500 were the right speakers to get for my monitor and not a single response :( I Just ordered them and now you tell me there is no way to hook the TV up to them? !*@!#

I knew I should have gone the HT route and used my reciever :(
Wait a Minute, Can't you go from cable box to the speakers? I don't have my cable box yet either, but I'm really second guessing myself now. The whole reason I went with teh z5500 is because they advertise you can hook a tv up to them.......

Thanks guys for posting so far, i'm trying to find the best solution to address hooking these peripherals up together.

Justin: I'll take a look at my Comcast box when I get home in an hour, that could work too. But, I was thinking the whole TV out would work a lot easier as in the long run, I am going to be setting it up like Wii (component), xbox 360 (HDMI or VGA), Comcast (Component #2 or HDMI) with the 360 likely hdmi, and comcast likely component. Seeing how the 360 and wii don't exactly have audio out IIRC, i figured having audio out on the TV would just work great for all 3 peripherals.

Thanks for the recommendation. Yikes though searching through eBay yields one item stil going at $325 with 15 bids, haha. I think that's too rich for my blood as if i hadn't bought the speakers, i could've had a nice 500-600 budget for an entertainment setup :).

Thanks for the recommendation. Yikes though searching through eBay yields one item stil going at $325 with 15 bids, haha. I think that's too rich for my blood as if i hadn't bought the speakers, i could've had a nice 500-600 budget for an entertainment setup :).

Thats what I'm saying man, I guess I can call dell and if they have not shipped yet jsut cancel my order and get a $300 HT setup. I wasted an hour on the phone with them to get them to sell me the Z5500's for $234 + tax shipped. I guess i don't understand why you cannot hook the TV up to it as I do not have them yet :( They advertise that you can, wth. What do you think should I cancel my order and get the $299 setup from here? http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Systems I need to know ASAP before they ship it!

Well I don't know what to say. All I think we need to know is that is there some sort of cable or adapter that goes from line out (RCA, Westy 37w3) to either Coax or Optical in ? (z-5500)

Well I don't know what to say. All I think we need to know is that is there some sort of cable or adapter that goes from line out (RCA, Westy 37w3) to either Coax or Optical in ? (z-5500)

the Z5500's have a headphone type input plug? I thougth they did won't be surround though which sucks?

All you need is a coax digital cable from Best Buy, cost you like 10 bucks. Looks like an RCA cable, but it's just a single one. Goes from the cable box to the back of the Z5500 volume thingy for lack of a better name.

Well even if you do use optical or coax, it won't be true surround. Why not just use the mini-stereo jack?

It's surround sound if the programing is in 5.1 sound, which most HD channels are. I'm no audio expert, but when sound comes out of all 5 speakers, that's surround enough for me.

Right, that's from comcast box to the z-5500, which there's a spot for.

That solution covers the z-5500 <--> Comcast, but what I wanted to see whether was possible was:

Wii & Comcast & xbox 360 (hdmi/component/etc) <---> Westy 37w3 <---> (audio) Logitech z5500.

That way, all graphics gets sent to the display, and audio gets sent out to the speakers.

Is there no such cable/adapter from RCA line out to either optical or coax ?

My guess would be no cause the RCA's would be Stereo.

"illgiveumorality Well even if you do use optical or coax, it won't be true surround. Why not just use the mini-stereo jack? "

Is there a mini-stereo jack on the z5500? If there is that is how you would do it. otherwise you would need more of a HT Reciever I would imagine and you would plug the Wii into that and then from there into the Westy.

My guess would be no cause the RCA's would be Stereo.

Is there a mini-stereo jack on the z5500? If there is that is how you would do it. otherwise you would need more of a HT Reciever I would imagine and you would plug the Wii into that and then from there into the Westy.

I believe so..

console2.jpg

There's a cable for that input too ?

Back