audio from two outputs simultaneously?

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
Background (you may just skip to the question at the end if you wish)
I have my HTPC (see sig) connected to my reciever through HDMI for audio and video. This is the primary use, and it works very well. However, from time to time, I like to play my X360, which is also hooked up through HDMI, but listen to music from my computer hooked up to the reciever using the rear anolog audio out (green circle). This also works well, however I have to select the different output in the audio manger in windows.

This is where the problem lies. I then have to hook up the mouse, and change the display to show my computer and take the steps necessary to change the audio output. Then, if I want to watch a movie in full 7.1, I have to switch it back.

So the question is: Is there any way to have the audio sent through both outputs at the same time?

I use WMC for everything on this HTPC, which is why I would want audio sent to both outputs all the time. Which one I use would be based on the input I select at the reciever.

Because I want to be able to switch the reciever to my 360, and play games, while listening to the music. If its a digital source, I cannot listen to one and watch another. But my reciever allows me to watch a digital source, but listen to a separate analog source.

Which come is great when I have people over. Playing 360, or even watching a game or something, but listening to my music is a great way to keep everything up beat.

Don't think there's a way to do it the way you are talking about, but what about this:

1. Connect your xbox360 via HDMI directly to your TV (instead of to the receiver)
2. Run optical out from your TV to the receiver

When you want to play 360 with sound from the games, switch the tv input to the 360 input and switch the receiver to a channel that you have setup to use the optical in (from the TV which will be passing it through)

When you want to play 360 with music, switch the the tv input to the 360 video input but leave the receiver set to your HTPC. That way you will see the 360 video but the audio from the HTPC will continue to play over the speakers. Additionally, you can easily hop back and forth to pick new music (by switching the TV input from say HDMI1 (for HTPC) to HDMI2 (for 360) and back again).

Yes it doesn't allow you to run everything directly through your receiver and you'd to run the extra optical cable... but it would be easy to control completely from your remote. You could even setup an activity on your Harmony for "Xbox360/GameMusic" and "Xbox360/HTPCMusic" that would switch everything automatically.

Make sense?

If you were willing to give up MC as your music playing software you could bind WMP or whatever else you choose to the analog out and leave movies on the HDMI through MC. I guess you might be able to do that if you are able to get a separate program to act as a player for the MC frontend.

Thanks for the suggestions, guess I'll have to figure something out.

Yes but then I would loose full control over the music unless I stop the game and press the middle button. Thats just not a great option

Back