Audigy 2 ZS - Simultaneous Digital + Analog

Taiguy

n00b
I decided to pick up an Audigy 2 ZS since it was only $36 and I needed to upgrade from my onboard sound (which is decent by all accounts). My question is this, I've been sending the digital signal out to my Pioneer receiver using a TOSLINK optical connector and also running an analog signal out to my old Klipsch Promedia GMX-A2.1 set. Can the A2ZS do this as well? I really like being able to play off of both or one, depending on the situation. My only quibble is I have to get a 1/8" to Coax adapter for the back and a Coax cable. Any comparisons to the Asus A8V Deluxe onboard sound? (Realtek chip).

if you are running a 2.1 system for your analog output, why dont you just stick w/ the digital output?

The ZS outputs both simultaneously, so you won't have any problems there. Note that if you are setting up more than just a 2.0 setup and you enable bass management, it won't send ANYTHING below your crossover point digitally, which means you'll get shit for SQ over digital, considering you'll be missing all the information below 80hz at a minimum.

I have a Pioneer VSX-515 going to a pair of Infinity Primus 150s and a JBL E250P. At the same time I didn't want to just trash my old Klipsch setup. So i stuck the klipsch satellites on the top of my hutch and balance the output to match the receiver. It actually sounds very good (the lack of horn tweeters in the Primus's is unfortunate). So all i need to do is disable bass management and i'll be fine? Oh and does the sound card come with a 1/8" to female coaxial adapter or do i need to go out and buy one?

I would disable bass management.

Yea, you'll have to buy an adaptor, just make sure that it is a 1/8" to mono adaptor, you can find them at Radio Shack for 3$ or so. Your setup will work fine, as long as you remember to always change the volume using the mixer app Creative provides, otherwise you have to fool with two knobs to equalize things back out.

Back