Audigy 2 ZS Platinum + Z-5500's = Need Confirmation

RicePapi

Limp Gawd
Alright guys, I just spent over 6 hours researching, and I just want a few [H] members to confirm/validate what I just hopefully learned. This information will probably be helpful to a whole bunch of other people...

PC + Logitech 5500 + Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

1) If I want to play games and listen to music, the best route is ANALOG. This requires using the 3 mini jacks that come with the Z-5500. Please confirm.

2) If I want to watch movies in Dolby Digital (DD) or DTS, the only route is DIGITAL. I can either choose Optical or Coax. If I want to go with the coax option, I will need a special coax cable and a 1/8" mono plug to RCA jack (to plug into the Audigy card) found at RadioShack for $4 bucks. Please confirm.

3) If I choose to have the Z-5500 console be the one to decode the digital signal (DD or DTS), I must disable the DVD software (WinDVD) and Audigy 2 ZS hardware from decoding the signal first. Please confirm.

4) Important question: Am I able to run both a digital and analog connection (the cables/wires) simultaneously from my PC to the Z-5500 console? And then use the Z-5500 console to switch between digital and analog, depending on what I'm doing on the PC? Please confirm.

I think that's pretty much it. If anyone can give me the thumbs up, I'm going to set all this up during this weekend. Thanks!

PS: Question about Logitech Warranty -- Do they replace individual parts? My Z-5500 console has a VERY odd and interesting defect. The 5 small buttons that are lined up horizontally above the giant volume knob... there can be seen a hair-line scratch (or crack) on the shiny black casing that surrounds the buttons. The scratch is about two-eights of an inch long and they all run in a 10 o'clock direction starting from the buttons. It's ODD because there are 5 individual scratches running from all 5 buttons -- I can't exlain it. When I run my finger nail along the hairline scratch, I don't feel any grooves. It must be under the clear, glossy coating. Anyone seen or heard of this problem?

"1) If I want to play games and listen to music, the best route is ANALOG. This requires using the 3 mini jacks that come with the Z-5500. Please confirm."

yep. This will give you 5.1 audio.

"2) If I want to watch movies in Dolby Digital (DD) or DTS, the only route is DIGITAL. I can either choose Optical or Coax. If I want to go with the coax option, I will need a special coax cable and a 1/8" mono plug to RCA jack (to plug into the Audigy card) found at RadioShack for $4 bucks. Please confirm."

You can do it that way, or either have your DVD software decode it, or have the drivers decode it. If yo hav ethe external box decode it, you will be using whatever DAC the Logitech uses, which I doubt will be better than the CS4382 on the A2 ZS.

"3) If I choose to have the Z-5500 console be the one to decode the digital signal (DD or DTS), I must disable the DVD software (WinDVD) and Audigy 2 ZS hardware from decoding the signal first. Please confirm."

You have both WinDVD and the A2's Control Application set to do SPDIF passthru. Set Digital Out to 48KHz.

"4) Important question: Am I able to run both a digital and analog connection (the cables/wires) simultaneously from my PC to the Z-5500 console? And then use the Z-5500 console to switch between digital and analog, depending on what I'm doing on the PC? Please confirm."

yep. The Digital Out port on the back of the card is always live.

You know we do have a quote feature here?

Paste the text... click and drag the mouse to select it and then click the quote button
quote.gif

or you can use the same code tags you have to on lesser forums.
Example:

PHP:
[QUOTE] text [/QUOTE]
Equals this----->

Adding a =username quotes a specfic person.
Example:
PHP:
[QUOTE=Username] text [/QUOTE]
Equals this---->
Username said:

1) Yup.

2) Spend the cash for the right kind of cable if you plan on using the S/PDIF port.

3) Agreed.... both the software and the drivers should be set to AC3 pass through.

4) Yes

Post script: They will not replace select components... you will have to RMA the whole package.

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time out to help me. I really appreciate it!

Ok, here's a follow up question...

I keep seeing the word "S/PDIF" all over the forums I've been reading. Is this referring to the port for on the Z-5500 console that's for the digital input? (coax/optical)

And Mister X, can you lead me in the right direction for the "right kind of cable" for the S/PDIF port? Perhaps a brand-name or a link?

Thanks!

RicePapi said:
PS: Question about Logitech Warranty -- Do they replace individual parts? My Z-5500 console has a VERY odd and interesting defect. The 5 small buttons that are lined up horizontally above the giant volume knob... there can be seen a hair-line scratch (or crack) on the shiny black casing that surrounds the buttons. The scratch is about two-eights of an inch long and they all run in a 10 o'clock direction starting from the buttons. It's ODD because there are 5 individual scratches running from all 5 buttons -- I can't exlain it. When I run my finger nail along the hairline scratch, I don't feel any grooves. It must be under the clear, glossy coating. Anyone seen or heard of this problem?

Keep your receipt for the 5500Z and they will RMA for you if it is a problem that is.

Back