Audigy 2 ZS or Revolution 7.1?

Fothermucker

2[H]4U
I'm a casual gamer and big time mp3 listener. Which is the best choice? I only have 2.1 setup and that's all I will ever have. Will the superior SQ of the M-audio card be that evident with mp3's? Are creative's drivers still that bad?

Since your a big time mp3 listener I would go with the revolution 7.1. I was in the same boat as you deciding between the zs and the revo. In the end I chose the revo and I have to say it has awesome sq and I play games alot too. I don't get any performance hits, but that could be that I have a beefy system. I hope this helps.

Ah, the seemingly age old battle. Since music seems to be, ahem, a forte in your computing experience, I think the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is best suited to you. If your ears and speakers are good enough, your MP3s may end up driving you insane because this soundcard will reveal every flaw. Mind you, the Audigy 2 ZS is nearly as capable, but I think that the Revolution 7.1 sounds a bit better.

hard decision... You probably wouldn't go wrong with either card, just get the best deal you can on it...

I would say the Audigy 2 ZS is better in your case. I have one, and I love it. I acknowledge that the Revo does have better sound quality, but people forget that the ZS nearly sounds as good as the Revo. And if you don't have great speakers, there is no difference between quality. Since you play some games, you get the full EAX support with the ZS, and everything is done through the hardware (which is nice if your rig isn't too great). Though I agree that both cards are great, I have no complaints with the ZS sounding bad. But that's just me...

-MoOfAsA~

Since you play some games, you get the full EAX support with the ZS, and everything is done through the hardware (which is nice if your rig isn't too great).

He's got a 2.1 setup, using EAX is even more pointless than usual.

Unless you plan to upgrade to a 5.1 setup and use EAX HD, I'd say go with the Revo.

Get the Revo, it will give you better sound quality with your music. Totally off topic but why are you using 2.1 speakers when you could get even better sound quality with a nice set of headphones?

Originally posted by aug1516
Get the Revo, it will give you better sound quality with your music. Totally off topic but why are you using 2.1 speakers when you could get even better sound quality with a nice set of headphones?

I do not like wearing headphones if I don't have to. I find them too restrictive. I agree that a decent pair do sound better than most speakers.

Back