Audiences Abandon Amazon Prime and HBO While Netflix Grows

Cable companies did that and people claimed they didn't want to pay for the stuff they don't watch. So here we are.

I don't mind a la carte offerings, or different packages within the same service. I just don't want to have toswitch between apps or give multiple companies my credit card.

A unified playback/store interface where different content owners sell subscriptions and/or individual purchases is what I want.

On e purchased/subscribed to it must be viewable within the same interface.

It's the fragmented nonsense of having Netflix app, a Hulu App, a Sports streaming app, an HBO app, (does Prime videeo even have an app?) that I hate.

Give me a Steam for Movies and TV Purchases and Subscriptions that has ALL content and I'm in.

I don't mind a la carte offerings, or different packages within the same service. I just don't want to have toswitch between apps or give multiple companies my credit card.

A unified playback/store interface where different content owners sell subscriptions and/or individual purchases is what I want.

On e purchased/subscribed to it must be viewable within the same interface.

It's the fragmented nonsense of having Netflix app, a Hulu App, a Sports streaming app, an HBO app, (does Prime videeo even have an app?) that I hate.

Give me a Steam for Movies and TV Purchases and Subscriptions that has ALL content and I'm in.

It's called Roku. At least as far as managing all your subscriptions. You give it your credit card once, and you can start and end subscriptions in a single click.

You still have to setup rentals and purchases for each individual company, but you don't have to take that step until you're comfortable with the company's interface and offerings.

It also has universal search results, in case you have no idea where to get that movie you suddenly want to watch.

Last edited:
I can imagine people might be alternating. If you switched every other month, you'd still get the same content.

I don't own a TV, and all I have is Netflix so it would be nice if eventually we had truly customized offerings meaning I could sign up for some service whatever it might be and then say "I want CNN, MSNBC, and that's pretty much it..." and pay a few bucks - and I do mean a few bucks - a month for that, accessible on any device. I only have Internet service at home and cellular on the go. It's really fucked up that in today's world I can't get the things I want even though I'm willing to pay a fair price for the things I want which is just a few channels of content, that's it.

These days to get CNN and MSNBC in my area the "basic" package that includes it is $60 a month, it's insanity, seriously. Greedy scumsucking cable companies, studios, and content providers, it's a sad state of affairs.

So... in regards to the article.... we have Amazon Prime (which I would pay for just to get 2 day shipping ALONE, streaming is a bonus), Netflix, and I pick up Showtime / HBO when a show is on then cancel when it's done... stuff I can't wait until the end for, like GoT, Westworld, Shameless, etc.

But I also pay for cable because Frontier (FIOS) are hosers and you can't get just internet only for any decent price. So basically the cost of 50mb internet, plus cable/dvr, plus a landline phone, is $25 more than their internet only. Hmmmm. Last time I re-negotiated with them (threatening to jump ship) I asked how much do I save without the landline phone? $5. I mean... the e911 service for VOIP costs that much.

So no reason for Hulu, which murders you with commercials until you step up to the $20 plan.

So all of you that are in the "Amazon prime sucks for streaming" boat.... you need to expand your mind a little. There are lots of series on there that don't get top billing attention, and some that do. Jack Ryan was OK, and I liked some other stuff like Sneaky Pete, etc. But there is actually a pretty random selection of movies.. not exactly what you're looking for, but they have different stuff that is NOT on Netflix. So when you've finished a genre section (the Mrs like horror movies), Amazon will have some she hasn't seen... and she has seen them ALL on Netflix. Also... Prime Music is a really decent music streaming service, I use it a lot, it's easily as good as Pandora (EXCEPT for the stations which are repetitive, but so is Pandora) and it is included in the price of Prime. I have discovered TONS of music on Prime, at no additional cost to me, that I never would have heard or found otherwise. And no commercials.

Now, the Prime streaming experience may differ in other countries, what do I know. I don't live in other countries, LOL.

Last edited:
I don't own a TV, and all I have is Netflix so it would be nice if eventually we had truly customized offerings meaning I could sign up for some service whatever it might be and then say "I want CNN, MSNBC, and that's pretty much it..." and pay a few bucks - and I do mean a few bucks - a month for that, accessible on any device. I only have Internet service at home and cellular on the go. It's really fucked up that in today's world I can't get the things I want even though I'm willing to pay a fair price for the things I want which is just a few channels of content, that's it.

These days to get CNN and MSNBC in my area the "basic" package that includes it is $60 a month, it's insanity, seriously. Greedy scumsucking cable companies, studios, and content providers, it's a sad state of affairs.

Hulu? Sling? PS Vue? Youtube TV? All available for every device. $20-30 depending on the package you want. Yes, it would be nice to just pick and choose the channels we want, but we can't. Not yet anyway.

Also, you lost me at "I don't own a TV...but I want TV on any device". Bud, that's still TV. The giant thing that people hang on walls nowadays are basically just giant computer monitors.

Man in the high castle is the only prime show i really watch... the rest of it is some one off stuff here & there... like wipeout (yes, its horrible, yes i enjoy watching people fly off the big red balls). but really, there is no way id pay for it, i still use my prime enough for shipping to make it worth the money but even that is getting to be so close that i may have to just let it go and start paying for shipping instead.

i have netflix, my kid uses it way more than i do

i have sling which i do use quite a bit when i DO watch that kinda stuff, i just dont watch that kinda stuff that often...

The big thing on the wall is meant to convey being tied down to a given service provider aka cable operator, in that sense. If I had CNN and MSNBC with cable TV service oddly enough that would also give me access to them online through their respective websites but alas, I don't, and I can't purchase access just to those two content providers either.

But someday I suppose it'll happen, true choice in everything, can't say I'll still be around when that happens however. :D

Don't forget about Bosch, that's a good cop show as well. Personally I have prime more for the music than anything else. The free book every month and games from twitch are nice as well.
bosch is really good. its like a detective show/movie from 30 years ago, but not boring like those series were. i rate it 4 bags of popcorn and 2 soda pops

amazon prime : total garbage here, half if not more of the library is georestricted (I'm not going to fuck around with vpn for a paid service)
And the player is shit, it takes 2 minutes before the stream switches to HQ instaed of some mobile quality garbage.

Not to mention we in central europe don't get any other benefit of prime.

I guess that explains why my HBO subscription hasn't been cancelled yet. Several years ago Dish Network offered HBO for $10 a month " for life. " HBO announced that Dish subs would revert to the regular $15 a month on September 20th. Dish subs were given the option to drop HBO when it went back up to normal price. I'm guessing a lot of subs checked that box and Dish/HBO decided to leave it at $10.

bosch is really good. its like a detective show/movie from 30 years ago, but not boring like those series were. i rate it 4 bags of popcorn and 2 soda pops

I forgot about Bosch. I like the actors, the show is just ok, but I just finished the Angel Flight (Black Guardian) season and except 1 or 2 episodes was pretty meh. But most series have a slump season or two in the mix, not a unique problem.

2 comedy series I'm watching on Prime are pretty good. Forever is good... Dirtbag is... different but hard to stop watching (but it's a UK themed show, I know that turns some people off)

Not sure but I have Amazon Prime and I don't think the video collection is even comparable to Netflix or even HBO. Its a nice add on if your main goal is to get free 2 day shipping or listen to music every now and then. Don't get me wrong Amazon Video is not horrible but it's what I would expect for a tacked on membership service. They have a large selection if you want to rent or purchase a show/movies but so does everyone else. I think over the last 2 years I've watched 3 or 4 movies.

Amazon Prime Video - holy crap I almost forgot Comrade Detective! Everyone needs to watch this show! Crazy time fun.

Well, I'm tempted to get Prime just for The Expanse. But like you said, they got nothing else.

But doesn't prime also have music streaming? I might be able to justify getting prime with that :/

Expanse is pretty much a full featured movie with each episode... Amazing stuff.. I agree with you.

Back