Audeze Mobius Gaming Headset Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Buttoneer

Buttoneer Limp Gawd

2. zrikz

zrikz Gawd

Well that's unfortunate. After a few hours of head bashing with multiple wireless (BT) headsets, bose, sony, AKG, I discovered that bluetooth is incapable of doing both Audio and Microphone audio streams on a PC while maintaining a reasonable quality audio stream, or more realistically, on windows it just completely cancels out the audio portion in order to make the microphone work in handset mode, so having a "wireless gaming headset" is a lie to begin with. In the event they can get it to play nicely with windows with a custom driver, it still is only capable of handling mono sound and mono microphone due to BT bandwidth limitations.

B00nie and IdiotInCharge like this.
  3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

That is pretty much my feeling. If it is not wireless USB, it is not a wireless gaming headset. I was a bit pissed when I found out I had to plug it in with their 5 foot cheap rubber covered USB cable. I feel as though I got lied to when purchasing it.

IdiotInCharge and zrikz like this.
  4. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

At this point, we all do.

I've refrained from posting on the review largely because I wasn't sure what to think, so I gave myself some time- but also because I feel guilty asking for the review in the first place.

Their marketing pushed this as 'wireless gaming', and yeah, that means wireless USB apparently. I'd thought that that was what they were doing; that Bluetooth was mostly for phone/console compatibility, but it looks like they took the short route like they literally did with the cable.

I'm happy about the reports of sound quality, though the reported 'tinniness' is worrisome. That should have been tuned or eq'd out. And the mic! What the hell? Did they think that they could just glue a high-quality transducer to the end of a plastic stick and have an acceptable solution for a gaming headset?

Counterpoint:
    I'm very glad that this review was done- I'm glad that you (Kyle) were able to experience a higher-quality set of cans for gaming, and I'm glad that Audeze received some honest feedback. Let their mistakes be a warning to others that might want to build a high-end gaming headset based on audiophile-grade cans.

tungt88 likes this.
  5. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

(emphasis mine)

That can be easily be done with low to mid-fi (as Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and Audio-Technica have proved with their respective "high-end" gaming headsets), but making it "wireless" doesn't seem to be the way to go, until Bluetooth is tossed out the window (very much an aging technology at this point).

6. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

I don't see Bluetooth itself as an end- its purpose isn't surround gaming headphones with head tracking, but rather passable audio quality for mobile stuff as well as basic data connectivity with a low power draw.

It's not really the right technology today, at least, but it is probably the best technology to be extended for this kind of application. Eventually.

For now, such endeavors are probably best left to various wireless USB techniques. Logitech probably has a lead here given how long they've been in that game.

spaceman likes this.

7. LDAC = Lossless.

Bluetooth isn’t going away, it’s here and will continue to improve, the aforementioned LDAC, it’s a lossless format, then we have Aptx, Aptx HD and Aptx Low Latency.

Aptx is a ball hair away from lossless, LDAC is lossless.

LDAC devices are few and far between, but that will grow, Aptx is nearly everywhere nowadays.

No reason to think BT is shit now, BT is only shit if you need to use it on apple devices.

IdiotInCharge and spaceman like this.
  8. Kyle_Bennett

From Audeze today....which goes against what they said in that other forum thread. There are a total of 4 Audeze employees on this email thread.

Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 6:18 PM
    To: Redacted
    Cc: kyle@hardocp.com; Redacted
    Subject: Re: Mobius Unboxing and Review Contact Point

Hello Kyle,

We have a beta version of firmware that greatly improves the microphone. Please let us know if you will be interested int giving it a go.

Thanks,

-Redacted

upload_2018-11-2_18-58-55.png

9. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Maybe put something about this fiasco at the beginning of the review, to let people know what kind of company they're potentially dealing with. Sometimes that's just as important as the product itself.

trick_m0nkey likes this.
  10. Kyle_Bennett

Good suggestion, done. We updated page one of the review.

LostMF1, KingGlade and Meeho like this.
  11. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, thanks for sticking to your guns over this. (y)(y)

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  12. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Bluetooth has so much lag that I would be surprised if someone actulaly used it for gaming.

13. Kyle_Bennett

I tried it out before I sent those back....it was not an up to par PC gaming experience.

Mobius is a joke for PC gamers that do not have money to burn.