ATTN: Skt 754 Club/Crew

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this isn't the motherboard form but I figured you guys could help me out. I had the Socket 754 Shuttle model SN85G4 until the mobo committed suicide.

Now I'm just looking for the best ATX Socket 754 motherboard on the market that is readily avaliable. I know the DFI is popular but I don't have an interest in overclocking. What are you guys using that you like?

I have the DFI Lanparty UT and it works great overlcoked and stock :)

BTW when i saw pictures of your shuttle in the SFF Gallery I was looking into geting the same model that you have but then saw your post about it stop working and i decide to keep my Lian Li and Lanparty :cool:

i have the mentioned above, and my brother has gigabyte Gak8ns also with nforce3 250 chipset.

both rock solid and have overclocking ability if u like. not as much as DFI probaly.

but both great. and CHEAP under $60 now i believe.

the DFI lanparty nf3 250gb is the best socket 754 motherboard you can get.

not much could make it better. maybe better volt regulation...

Yes, the Chaintech board is just as good, well, very close, and it's quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I thought I had an Abit mobo picked out but realized it's not too easy to find now.

I'll explore the Chaintech board again as I'm pretty sure I came across it in my searching.

And to Volkswagen, my two previous Shuttles were awesome, no problem. I'm not so sure what happened but I know what ever killed the motherboard should not have happened, I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

I will no longer reccomend Shuttles however as their support stinks and you can't simply buy a replacement mobo. I'll just have to get used to the ATX size.

::edit::

is this the Chaintech mobo you're referring to:?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813152043

the Vnf3 250, only thing i can think of that might have killed ur motherboard is not grounded? did u use all the risers? and put a screw in every hole on mobo.

my brothers first build with the gigabyte that happend from what we know, there was also a power surge, so one of the two did it.other than that maybe static elec. never happen to me yet. (knock on wood) i touch outer casing and metal to draw any static b4 touching anything.

dwilson041781 said:
the Vnf3 250, only thing i can think of that might have killed ur motherboard is not grounded? did u use all the risers? and put a screw in every hole on mobo.

my brothers first build with the gigabyte that happend from what we know, there was also a power surge, so one of the two did it.other than that maybe static elec. never happen to me yet. (knock on wood) i touch outer casing and metal to draw any static b4 touching anything.
Shuttles come with the motherboard pre-installed. The machine was working great until my hard drive started having issues. I put in another hard drive and re-installed windows, worked fine and I did so without the ethernet cable plugged in. I shut down the system from the Windows desktop and plugged in the ethnernet cable as I knew I would have to do the Windows activation bit. Hit the power button, BIOS started, then for a split second some message popped up about LAN, too fast to read. The system re-booted itself after that but no more signal to the monitor. Despite switching ram, vid card, booting with hard drvie and optical drive disconnected, no more BIOS. I became more certain the mobo died when I realized it was no longer powering my MX Duo receiver. Sad story.

Yashu said:
the DFI lanparty nf3 250gb is the best socket 754 motherboard you can get.

not much could make it better. maybe better volt regulation...

I disagree.

The DFI Infinity nF4x is better. nForce4 + 754 + DFI's OC'ing = <3

I like my DFI nf3 250gb because of the onboard features. 4 sata ports, excellent (IMO) onboard audio, etc etc. My only complaint is the lack of a 2nd onboard ethernet port.

The only competition at the time was one of the MSI offerings. The problem at the time was an inadequate PCI lock. I picked DFI over MSI.

Robberbaron, the NF4x might be a better offering, but the OP has a shuttle with an AGP slot.

+1 for the DFI ut nf3 250gb. Its been rock solid for me.

robberbaron said:
I disagree.

That probably is the best 754 socket board but most people going with a 754 probably aren't going pci-e also.

Another vote for the DFI UT NF3 250GB. I had it in my rig untill recently (I just sold my system) and loved it. Even if your not overclocking it's a solid board and has tons of stuff on it. A little pricey at $100 but worth it unless your on a tight budget.

robberbaron said:
I disagree.

QFT. May as well upgrade to PCI-e while you have the chance. What video card do you have? Anything AGP less than a 6800GT isn't worth keeping.

I should have mentioned the whole AGP thing. And my AGP card does happen to be a 6800GT. The only game I've played recently is BF2 and it works fine with my current hardware, not looking to upgrade to PCI-e.

Normally I'd spend on the best but I've finally convinced myself that I don't need top of the line for my uses. Hence, the 754 platform and AGP. I have the 3700+ Clawhammer, def not out of style if you ask me.

if you arent going to do much overclocking the MSI neo plat. is a good one, i've had no issued out of mine(other than a bad bios from MSI), i'd be willing to sell you one, as i plan on going to pci-e

pstang said:
if you arent going to do much overclocking the MSI neo plat. is a good one, i've had no issued out of mine(other than a bad bios from MSI), i'd be willing to sell you one, as i plan on going to pci-e
Thanks for the offer but I'm going the retail route this time.

I'm stuck with my dead Shuttle because I can't get the invoice from the deadbeat original owner despite asking for it weeks ago.

Do any of you know if the Zalman 7000B-AlCu will fit ok on the Chaintech? If not what do you reccomend?

The DFI is the hands down choice for overclocking, but the MSI I had performed quite a bit better at stock.

CRXican said:
I intend on getting a new SATA HD for this setup. I'm going to get the Chaintech mobo as I like the price and really won't OC. Will the following HD be compatable? I'm asking because I know the mobo is older and this drive is "the new hotness"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

Thanks again

::edit::

the XP-90 should fit with this mobo too right?

The hard drive shouldn't be a problem and I haven't seen a socket 754 or 939 board that the XP-90 wouldn't fit. The XP-120 is another story. ;)

Edit: I take that back. Apparently the Chaintech VNF4 Ultra s939 motherboard has a problem with the XP-90 and the Gigabyte and Asrock backplates are different ($3 fix). Here's the link.

Roberty said:
The hard drive shouldn't be a problem and I haven't seen a socket 754 or 939 board that the XP-90 wouldn't fit. The XP-120 is another story. ;)

Edit: I take that back. Apparently the Chaintech VNF4 Ultra s939 motherboard has a problem with the XP-90 and the Gigabyte and Asrock backplates are different ($3 fix). Here's the link.
Thanks, I'll go with the XP-90. I'm just worried about the older Chaintech motherboard being able to run the HD at it's full potential. What is Serial ATA II compared to just Serial ATA?

::Edit::
nevemind, looks like SATA II isn't all that great, I'm going to look for a cheaper SATA drive

Back