ATTN: Phenom II Owners

khanis

Limp Gawd
How high of an overclock are you guys getting?
Also, please post voltages, cooling methods, and temps.

Anyone get 4ghz on air?

Running 3.5. I think I could push for 3.6-3.8. For some reason my chip is running very warm. 3.5-3.6 is plenty fast for 24/7 settings. I am pulling in around 17K with my [email protected] and a 4870 512MB card. Plenty fast for me. Realistically 4.0GHZ on air will not be possible unless you get a very rare chip =).

4.2ghz is out there somewhere (xtremesystem forums). you need about 1.5v to hit 4.0ghz. SOmeone did an energy graph of a power output of 9950 vs phII 940 at different speeds. Basically a PHII @ 3.5ghz will match the same power TDP output as the 9950 stock speeds. Pretty damn amazing.

Wow, that's pretty interesting.
Really shows the inefficiency of the old Phenoms compared to these.
4.2 ghz at 1.5v though.. that's a pretty ridiculous voltage for ANY cpu.

Yeah, I assume water cooled chips would warrant much higher overclocks, heh.
But 3.6ghz isn't too bad at all if that's what most people are getting.
What are your temps+voltages, vengance 01?

3.5ghz on stock volts, too bad my motherboard isn't geared towards oc'ing:mad:

Wow, that's pretty interesting.
Really shows the inefficiency of the old Phenoms compared to these.
4.2 ghz at 1.5v though.. that's a pretty ridiculous voltage for ANY cpu.

Phenoms can handle higher voltages than intel chips, but they do not clock as high on air.

My buddies 920 is running at 3.8ghz @ 1.5V, Past that he gets some pretty insane temps under his lapped true.

I must have hit a brick wall then. I get a blue screen lockup when I clock it at 3850+ during windows boot. I've tried throwing insane voltage at it and it still locks up. I'm not sure whats causing this. But my temps are great at 3823Mhz with water cooling. I think I peg out at 44C when my room is roasty hot.

You should be able to at least boot into Windows at 3.9ghz with tweaked settings. I did it on air the first few days I had my chip but it wasn't stable at the time so I backed down to run benchmarks at other clock speeds. At 3.84ghz I was able to complete some benchmarks and failed others. At 3.75ghz I am 100% stable on a board that doesn't officially support any Phenom II yet (probably due to the power draw). If I try Prime95 on all cores it errors rather quickly on one core because the power section on the motherboard simply can't take it. With the exception of Prime95 I haven't had a single crash or error in games or benchmarks at 3.75ghz. I'm moving to a 790GX board with 140w support as soon as I purchase a new OS drive.

PS. I was able to run at 1.55v vCore on air and the highest temp I recorded was 52°C during Prime95. Max temperature reached from normal games and such was 49°C.

my friend got 4.1ghz air on 1.55v but not stable.. hes currently stable @ 3.91ghz. He's using the gigabyte mb.

wow, thats higher voltage then what I read was reconmended for the old 939's

Yep and now you know why I asked Kyle if we could get a Phenom overclocking database. Its on the agenda from what I understand, they just need some coders to volunteer to throw it together or something. I am not a coder so I don't understand that end of what is needed.

Maybe we could use this thread to gather the info as a start.

I have one coming in tommorrow I think.

My chip has arrived. I have only had 1 evening open for OCing but I was easily able to reach 3.6GHz. Pumped the voltage to 1.325 right off the bat so I'm not sure what was necessary to reach this speed. Definitely intend to go higher, will try tonight :)

edit: I just remembered reading somewhere (no idea where) that AMD suggested 1.55v max for air-cooled overclocking of the P2s.

I have heard alot of mixed answers for max safe voltage for a phenom 2, First i heard 1.55 was the max, Remembering this from a talk at xs and here about it. Now hearing 1.66V.

I really doubt 1.66V would be a safe 24/7 safe voltage for a 45nm, even being from amd, but i might of misread it.

My buddy has his phenom on max 1.55V and he reaches 3.8-3.9ghz max. Still very decent and more than enough for him.

How is the stock cooler? Looks pretty decent. I just don't want to tear my system apart to upgrade the cooling after realizing the stock fan is loud or performs poorly. I will most likely run it at stock speed (940) for a while before overclocking.

The stock cooler is definitely going to be loud, just look at that tiny fan. I haven't run it personally though.

I was able to get my chip up to 3.8GHz last night with 1.39v, Orthos and gaming stable. Tried for 4.0 but I can't get it to load Windows yet.

:DBuy a nice Xigmatek S1283 aftermarket fan for cheap and dump that loud hunk of metal.

You will be very happy with the sound and the cooler you will get with that unit.

My two cents

Back