ATTN: New FS/T Scam (Fraps Download)

Lethal

ViragoAdmin Emeritus
There's a new scam going around involving Fraps. A member offers you a link to download Fraps, either to just give you a "freebie" or so you can run some benchmarks on hardware they are interested in buying from you.

This download installs a keylogger. They are after your logins for paypal, WoW and anything else they can get their grubby little paws on. Don't do it!

So far we have banned Jamieson and bmp ex for trying to spread this malware here. If you have a trade pending with either of them, get out of it ASAP.

If anyone contacts you offering Fraps or any other downloads, please PM me with the full info, including links (please do not post any links here).

Downloading warez is not only illegal and wrong, but it can cost you dearly if you fall for this scam.

i got caught in this from jamieson. However i never downloaded fraps, I only visited the site. Am i safe? Running adaware and spybot now. Will report back soon

gigla, if you did not download anything, you should be okay. Running some AV scans is still a good idea.

So far I have one report that Trendmicro did not detect it, but AVG did.

Damn man, that sucks. Hope everything works out.

The so-called-fraps is a file at Rapidshare. I just sent them an email requesting the deletion, and a link to this thread on why.

-BBQ

WOW he tried to doit to me today. WTF. damn ppl. good thing i have my own fraps.

i (stupidly) fell for it...

BEWARE: dont let your PC connect to the net after installing this, i recommend a total windows reinstall(what i did). This is too dangerous to even try to fix...

F-Secure Blacklight Anti-trojan Anti-keylogger program

moho said:
i (stupidly) fell for it...

BEWARE: dont let your PC connect to the net after installing this, i recommend a total windows reinstall(what i did). This is too dangerous to even try to fix...

Some keyloggers bypass Firewall without asking your premission to denied the connectivty.

http://www.styopkin.com/keylogger_hunter.html

Without turning this into too huge of a technical issue, I think the best way, once you've caught the logger, is to:
1. Disconnect the computer from the internet. Disconnect the cabling, Turn off the WiFi, whatever.
2. Back up your data.
3. From a SAFE computer, change your passwords.
4. Be prepared to format if your AV does not catch the keylogger.

I wouldn't suggest backing up the data on a compromised or potentially compromised system unless your an expert with computers or an IT admin as your chance of re-infecting the newly re-installed system or any other system is good.

DivineSmack said:
I wouldn't suggest backing up the data on a compromised or potentially compromised system unless your an expert with computers or an IT admin as your chance of re-infecting the newly re-installed system or any other system is good.

as long as you did not backup anything from the system32 folder, you are fine. because thats where the keylogger.dll stores at :)

Not necessarily. Also anything in folders in the back up process that was infected gets moved on. As I said earlier I suggest you do not back up unless you truely know what you are doing.

DivineSmack said:
Not necessarily. Also anything in folders in the back up process that was infected gets moved on. As I said earlier I suggest you do not back up unless you truely know what you are doing.

huh??? infected??? obivously you not going to keep the (fraqs) right?

Hmmm... one of his past for sale threads gave me a bad vide. I can't say exactly why, but sometimes you just know. He wasn't too forthcoming with information.

can you post their IP's. I'm a mod over @ Pcper and read a thread there. We'd like to keep a lookout incase they try this with different names.

thanks

Z

There is a keylogger out there that is supose to be undetectable however it isn't really. What it does is when you open the file/program that it is attached to it installs the full program into your computer however you don't know about it.Since doing this it well bypass alot of the firewalls and junk however when it sends the email out some firewalls well see that and warn you about it however at the time mine didn't so i was sending information "freely" to him without knowing about it. It won't read up as a virus since it isn't a virus, It jsut gets what you type and sends it back to the host. It well read up as an "Unwated Program".

I got scamed with this (not form frags but from somethign else. The guy ended up taking my paypal money which i did end up getting back. Took about 45 days cause of alt of paper work and he gave me hassles saying i scamed him and alot of other junk contacting my girl and cussing her out saying i was hte one who scamed or whatever.

I researched how it could be done and when i researched a "undeticed keylogger" it came up with a website for "perfect keylogger" which from there i learned more about it. I used McAfee anti-virus scan and it read up as a unwated program. I also read that the keylogger can be installed jsut by extracing the files fomr the zip folder into another one so you really don't have to run the program or anything jsut unzip and u could get it. However i don't know what he used and i am jsut shareing my knowledge of this and hope it helps.

If you want anymore infromation about this i would liek to help if you have been scamed by this. I have been throw it already and it is done i hope this is helpful. Just drop me a PM and i well be glad to help as much as i can.

try pressing ctrl+shift+alt+x
that opened up the keylogger i had before, and made it so i could uninstall it.

Having an iron defense like Zone Alarm Security Suite helps, or any of the Zone Labs products (excellent Firewalls/AVs/Lots of other secure things). Thats what I use, it checks every single program that wants access to the internet, so its easy to spot a fishy program trying to get through.

Case in point, keep your defenses up, or even use Linux for that matter.

Wow that bastard tried to get me to download FRAPs so he could see a result on my 7900gtx.

Here is his quote
"Hi im deeply interested and will pay ASAP.
First i need you to do this for me:
you ship to canada ?
you accept paypal ?
you have verfied paypal ?
Can you do me a benchmark with FRAPS then send me the logs ?
Here is FRAPS registered, download it and install, then run and look for run benchmark, then copy it and past it here, PLEASE COPY ONLY THE (FRAMERATE -FPS-) Thanks alot."

I thought it was weird that he didn't even mention the application and settings he wanted me to test so I replied back with those questions and also told him that I already had FRAPs

He comes back with: "preferably COD2, to check the performance, then copy paste the logs from fraps i gave you ."

After that I thought the guy was shady because he wanted me to use HIS FRAPS and not the one I already had installed, LOL!

J-Mag said:
He comes back with: "preferably COD2, to check the performance, then copy paste the logs from fraps i gave you ."

After that I thought the guy was shady because he wanted me to use HIS FRAPS and not the one I already had installed, LOL!
just out of curiosity:
his emphasis or yours?

Hoorah for being safe on a Mac!

anyway....I'll keep a look out for anybody else handing out fraps links....

4b5eN+EE said:
just out of curiosity:
his emphasis or yours?

Mine, I just wanted to point out that that line is what made me suspicous because there is no difference between FRAPS log file of the free version vs full version.

Back