ATTN GTX 690 and HD 7990 owners some questions

Mr Mean

[H]ard|Gawd
Just a quick question. Can you disable Crossfire/SLI now with these new dual GPU cards now. I couldn't disable crossfire with my HD 5970 back then. I am just wondering if you can now, with updated drivers and new power saving features. Thanks

You can with the 690 for sure, I know back in the day with my 4870x2 disabling cat ai disabled xfire.

Thank you for the replies guys. This was factored in for my next dual GPU setup. I guess the 890 GTX it is :)

I would love to get some HD 7990 input.

You can manually disable Crossfire or have it automatically turn off when no profile is found.

You can manually disable Crossfire or have it automatically turn off when no profile is found.

Hi Ozymandias,

I have a backup PC here with my old HD 5970 installed. I just removed the old CCC drivers with the AMD clean up utility and installed the 13.4 drivers. I still don't have the option to manually disable crossfire on the videocard. I know this is the old HD 5970. But I am not sure about if this is applicable for the HD 6990 or the HD7990.

What I am asking if there is a permanent crossfire disable like I have with my current HD 7970s. Click disable crossfire and click apply done. The same with my roommates GTX 680 SLI.

Also, don't forget to upgrade the firmware on the Nvidia cards. Especially, the EVGA cards. They have come out with new Bioses on several of their releases. Which have improved performance each revision.

Hi Ozymandias,

I have a backup PC here with my old HD 5970 installed. I just removed the old CCC drivers with the AMD clean up utility and installed the 13.4 drivers. I still don't have the option to manually disable crossfire on the videocard. I know this is the old HD 5970. But I am not sure about if this is applicable for the HD 6990 or the HD7990.

What I am asking if there is a permanent crossfire disable like I have with my current HD 7970s. Click disable crossfire and click apply done. The same with my roommates GTX 680 SLI.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the 5970/6990 had Crossfire permanently enabled. According to this, the 7990 doesn't have this issue. Maybe. Supposedly RadeonPro can disable Crossfire on a 5970.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the 5970/6990 had Crossfire permanently enabled. According to this, the 7990 doesn't have this issue. Maybe. Supposedly RadeonPro can disable Crossfire on a 5970.

Hi Qzymandias,

Prior to posting this thread, I was googling for information on this. I ran into that thread from google. But what I am looking for is an actual owner for a HD 7990. Most people who I have talked to are no interested in a HD 7990 because it came so late in the game. Most people already upgraded to a second HD 7970 and see no compelling reason to upgrade to a HD 7990. My only recourse is to find an actual HD 7990 owner ;P I read about the Radeon Pro that can disable crossfire. But what I am looking is native disable/enable from the control panel.

My goal is a two dual GPU single slot video cards for my future upgrade. But I might go two single slot dual gpu cards later down the road. I need a free 1X PCI Express slot for my sound card which I can't live without :( But thank you for your input :) I'm leaning on Nvidia for the "GTX 890" if it's a decent upgrade like 4GB of VRAM and 512-bit :) But I'm hoping that's the case.

Back