Attention GPU Folders: Make sure you are set up for QRB units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partly why i have held off, not wanting to drop a load of coin on an unknown result. Sticking with my 2p boxes for now, just trying to work out if i can still run number 3 or not
Right now with the boost in base points these evil 762x on my 460 is doing better than my 2P running Windoze and is using less power also.
I am not smp folding on the GPU boxen since it's not worth the watts to run the FX-4100 for the tiny ppd.
My power bills are over $500 a month as it is.

Just picked up an 8073, running @ 2:15 on a gtx660ti

v7 Client is showing Base Credit of 3874 and Estimated PPD of 24,793
Nothing Listed on PsummaryB/C yet..., Guess I'll see after it completes if it had any QRB...

Right now with the boost in base points these evil 762x on my 460 is doing better than my 2P running Windoze and is using less power also.
I am not smp folding on the GPU boxen since it's not worth the watts to run the FX-4100 for the tiny ppd.
My power bills are over $500 a month as it is.

With older kit its understandable, and BD chips are just power hogs, 2p is still viable, you just have to be smart in your purchases, Low power cpu's, low voltage ram, uber efficient PSU's

And ouch on the power bill, i'm guessing lots of A/C needed or electric heat? My electric bill runs just over £100 a month which is about $158 so thats a lot of juice

I have both a 8072 and 8074 on the go right now.

8072 is on the faster of the two 670's and has a TPF of 2:01. The base is 3874 points and showing a PPD of 27435 in FAHControl.

8074 is on the slower of the two 670's and has a TPF of 2:06. The base is 3874 points and a PPD of 26777 in FAHControl.

With older kit its understandable, and BD chips are just power hogs, 2p is still viable, you just have to be smart in your purchases, Low power cpu's, low voltage ram, uber efficient PSU's

And ouch on the power bill, i'm guessing lots of A/C needed or electric heat? My electric bill runs just over £100 a month which is about $158 so thats a lot of juice
I power up several buildings.
There are some electric (EdenPure) heaters running but it is still high even without them.
Main heat is LP (liquid propane) radiant heating in the main house and overhead infrared heaters in the barn.

My budget is always thin for computer stuff so I never have the latest in tech.

The 8072 just completed so I checked the log to see how many points it was *really* worth and... well... see for yourself:
Code:
00:25:28:WU01:FS00:Final credit estimate, 3874.00 points
No QRB... bleh.

Hmm, still 807* not on PsummaryB/C, actually 8057 is not listed anymore either...

Just brought online two 560Ti 448-core cards. Will probably add a 3rd at somepoint, but want to see how it runs with two. Also want to see what the power usage is like.

Its probably a server issue, i bet most of the older gpu2 servers and some of the early gpu3 servers don't have the right software on them to cope with QRB. sincde they want to roll it out together they just have to wait.

Either that or the new base values have really messed up the points awarded

So why is increasing the base point a part of adding QRB? That doesn't make sense to me.

Those two issues are unrelated except that they both result in higher ppd.

8054 does not seem to have an increase in base points.
I just grabbed another and it is still 2,387 @ 16,112 ppd on my GPU.

Probably a bug on PG side but in Psummary, projects 7612,7613,7620 and 7621 are showing a kfactor of 3 and OPENMMGPU core...

OPENMMGPU is core15, as for the kfactor - GPU QRB is being released shortly, they have a few server issues to fix 1st. my guess is that this will be one of the 1st projects.

:D :D

foldersabout8057.jpg

I even took the beta flag off to see if maybe they had been moved to advanced, but then I was just running 76xx's

Oh well. I did fix the cooling on one of my systems (hive) so it can fold again, and also put an additional small SSD I had laying around into my SB-E system and put linux on it as I hardly ever use it as a desktop anymore now that I have this laptop. It is now essentially a dedicated folder. Seems to be getting pretty good PPD also, about 50-60K on SMP. The other system, (hive) runs a 4Ghz i7 920, and does fairly decent but man that SB-E just hauls through units like no-other. I bet SB-E systems are the fastest single-socket folding rigs period. I just wish they made an 8-core i7 that you could overclock... :D

The 8057's are done. They marked the AS internal and announced that the new benchmarking for GPU WU's is being rolled out and QRB will come once they fix an issue on their side.

The 8057's are done. They marked the AS internal and announced that the new benchmarking for GPU WU's is being rolled out and QRB will come once they fix an issue on their side.

+1 for the correct answer, expect QRB to return "soon" :D

...or not ;)

So what's the new hot WU? I've turned off 3/4 of my gpu folders due to low PPD/watt. 8057's made it worth while to burn the electricity.

For example
Desktop, [email protected], 560 non ti, 570ti, v7 reports 50kppd or there abouts, 864w from the wall on smp and gpu.
4p,48 cores, 1000-1100w from the wall, 400-750k ppd depending on WU, smp only.

So what's the new hot WU? I've turned off 3/4 of my gpu folders due to low PPD/watt. 8057's made it worth while to burn the electricity.

For example
Desktop, [email protected], 560 non ti, 570ti, v7 reports 50kppd or there abouts, 864w from the wall on smp and gpu.
4p,48 cores, 1000-1100w from the wall, 400-750k ppd depending on WU, smp only.

Unfortunately, it looks as though with the forced update to v2.25 of core 15, it makes it almost unbearable to run Fermis now.

On the bright side, GPU folding on Keplers has now become just slightly more lucrative than regular SMP folding (not bigadv). It's becoming hard to justify keeping a regular SMP box on when I have a box with 2 GTX670's doing about twice the PPD of the SMP box for what appears to be less than 100W more than the SMP box consumes. If/when the QRB kicks in, then it should become even better still.

So in order to setup QRB folding, are the instructions at the beginning of this thread still accurate? With the changes going on etc.. does it make sense to do this still?

I have 2 fixing to be 3 keplers for folding and none are set to beta at this point..

To be honest, I'm not sure of the flags myself. I've just let my GPUs run with the beta flag on for the past while and I'm still getting the same units.... I've read 3rd party claims that they have all made it out of beta (meaning we shouldn't need the beta flag to get them), but I haven't seen anything official yet. Maybe I'll give things a whirl without the beta flag and see what comes up.

Theoretically, once the QRB is released, you won't need the beta flag to receive it because ALL GPU units will have a QRB value. This includes all units currently out of beta. It also makes sense that any units in beta at that time for the purposes of testing the QRB will also be flagged for general consumption.

Just to be clear, there's no QRB yet. I suppose it doesn't hurt to set your systems up now for when it does come into play though.

This thread is rather old now, yet it refuses to die a natural death :). With the 8057s gone, there are no QRB units at the moment. I think that the beta flag (or -betateam for the older clients) at least lets you process the 807x units, which are probably better than the 76xx units non-beta folks are processing. Also, any new QRB units will hit beta first, so you might as well leave the beta flag in place for now.

I have 2 x 580s, 2 x 570s, and 2 x 470s idle at the moment waiting for QRB to return.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure of the flags myself. I've just let my GPUs run with the beta flag on for the past while and I'm still getting the same units.... I've read 3rd party claims that they have all made it out of beta (meaning we shouldn't need the beta flag to get them), but I haven't seen anything official yet. Maybe I'll give things a whirl without the beta flag and see what comes up.

Theoretically, once the QRB is released, you won't need the beta flag to receive it because ALL GPU units will have a QRB value. This includes all units currently out of beta. It also makes sense that any units in beta at that time for the purposes of testing the QRB will also be flagged for general consumption.

Just to be clear, there's no QRB yet. I suppose it doesn't hurt to set your systems up now for when it does come into play though.

Thanks.

So the "next-unit-percentage, Value is 100" does not apply unless the beta flag is set..
true statement?

Thanks.

So the "next-unit-percentage, Value is 100" does not apply unless the beta flag is set..
true statement?
No, it works without the beta flag.
All it does is download the next wu when the current one finishes instead of at 99%.

Just adding to what Brother John stated, the "next-unit-percentage" option set to 100 is for maximizing points for the QRB. QRB points on a unit are calculated as soon as the unit is downloaded. So even if the unit isn't being actively worked on, the QRB point value of the unit is ticking down. After all, that's what the QRB is... a quick return bonus... the faster you get the results back, the more points you get. Imagine downloading another QRB unit at 99% and the TPF on the current unit you're working on is 10+ minutes. That's 10+ minutes that newly downloaded unit has to sit there and not get worked on... that's 10+ minutes of bonus points ticking away.

Thanks for the added clarity, Brother Rod. ;)
I sometimes just go with the quick answers since I hate my hunt and peck typing style.

Just adding to what Brother John stated, the "next-unit-percentage" option set to 100 is for maximizing points for the QRB. QRB points on a unit are calculated as soon as the unit is downloaded. So even if the unit isn't being actively worked on, the QRB point value of the unit is ticking down. After all, that's what the QRB is... a quick return bonus... the faster you get the results back, the more points you get. Imagine downloading another QRB unit at 99% and the TPF on the current unit you're working on is 10+ minutes. That's 10+ minutes that newly downloaded unit has to sit there and not get worked on... that's 10+ minutes of bonus points ticking away.

This is what I was looking for. Makes sense now.

This thread is rather old now, yet it refuses to die a natural death :). With the 8057s gone, there are no QRB units at the moment. I think that the beta flag (or -betateam for the older clients) at least lets you process the 807x units, which are probably better than the 76xx units non-beta folks are processing. Also, any new QRB units will hit beta first, so you might as well leave the beat flag in place for now.

I have 2 x 580s, 2 x 570s, and 2 x 470s idle at the moment waiting for QRB to return.

This is no longer true, the 807x with the new benchmark (minus QRB) has been pushed to advanced, so beta is NOT required to get the higher performing GPU WU, see http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=23152&start=30#p231586 and please don't use beta unless you are actually on the beta team. Pretty please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back