Attempting my first real Home Network, could use some help

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
I just ordered:
  1. UniFi Dream Machine Pro (with 4Tb IronWolf NAS)
  2. UniFi 16 port PoE Switch (all ports PoE)
  3. UniFi 6 Lite (x3) WiFi Access Points
  4. Tripplite 1500VA Battery Backup
  5. NavPoint 22u Locking Cabinet
  6. Whole crap ton of Cat6
  7. Misc items and tools
I'm a bit bug eyed at the moment as this a quite a bit of money for me to drop all at once. I did do a fair amount of research before hand, have built several computers on my own and installed Security and A/V "back in the day" so I'm not completely incapable... but I am very much a Networking amateur. My current setup is here, however I am looking to upgrade to a 10gig internal Network, Home Server and add Home Surveillance (Blue Iris) over the next year. Figured I better start building a decent backbone first.

I would certainly appreciate any constructive input you might have, particularly regarding getting this all working and pitfalls to avoid. Anything really. I'm nervous already and this stuff is still 5 days out. Thanks in advance.

Great choice on the gear i think you will be very happy with it, i have 2 older ubi access points and i love them, set and forget.

If your running the cat6 yourself double up runs to important locations. No opinion on home surveillance as i have never dipped into that.

Great choice on the gear i think you will be very happy with it, i have 2 older ubi access points and i love them, set and forget.

If your running the cat6 yourself double up runs to important locations. No opinion on home surveillance as i have never dipped into that.

Thank you! Watched numerous videos over the last few months so I wouldn't waste money. I'll probably still find something I wished I had done different over time, but hopefully this nails the bulk of it.

So is your plan to empty your current box and move everything over to your new cabinet?

Everything Network related, yes. The Coaxial and some of the Cat5 that was from the home's original phone lines, will stay put (and get repurposed back to its original duty). I will do double runs of all new Cat6 to each bedroom, living room and a single to the kitchen, and bring them directly to the new Rack via PVC tubing from the ceiling. The important stuff will get a dedicated line, the non-essential stuff (TV's, blu-ray players, etc) will share a small hub tucked behind their cabinets.

Why the dream machine pro if you aren’t going to use UniFi cameras? And a 4tb drive in it, to do what?

I have a u6lite and it sucks. In real world usage it isn’t as good as the nano hd. I would recommend the u6pro or the u6lr.

Personally i think the udm pro is a bit much in this setup, from my understanding the main selling point is that it has router/switch/ap all in one machine, you're already purchasing a separate switch and separate APs so honestly i don't see why'd you'd want the udm pro, instead I'd look at their security gateway

Personally i think the udm pro is a bit much in this setup, from my understanding the main selling point is that it has router/switch/ap all in one machine, you're already purchasing a separate switch and separate APs so honestly i don't see why'd you'd want the udm pro, instead I'd look at their security gateway

Separate Switch is mostly for the PoE it will provide to 11 Surveillance cameras.

I would say great choice of bear, but after Ubiquiti's massive cluster f*** on leaving their clients 100% exposed do to an hack on their company that leaked A LOT of data, they wanted to keep their stock prices up so they didnt tell anyone until after... I and many of you should refuse to buy any of their products.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whistleblower-ubiquiti-breach-catastrophic/

On Jan. 11, Ubiquiti Inc. [NYSE:UI] — a major vendor of cloud-enabled Internet of Things (IoT) devices such as routers, network video recorders and security cameras — disclosed that a breach involving a third-party cloud provider had exposed customer account credentials. Now a source who participated in the response to that breach alleges Ubiquiti massively downplayed a “catastrophic” incident to minimize the hit to its stock price, and that the third-party cloud provider claim was a fabrication.

Why the dream machine pro if you aren’t going to use UniFi cameras? And a 4tb drive in it, to do what?

I have a u6lite and it sucks. In real world usage it isn’t as good as the nano hd. I would recommend the u6pro or the u6lr.

Reviews I watched said multiple 6lites performed better than a single HD (provided the coverage wasn't too crowded). I don't use WiFi for much so it seemed like a decent place to save money. I can dig deeper and see if I find anything. Thanks for the heads up.

spend more now and get the lr or the pro. i tried to use the l6lite in place of one of my ac-pros. after two days i changed it back. it really is a sub par ap. again, if you arent using the cameras i wouldnt get the dmp.

1620617773369.png

The Pro does not have an embedded AP, only the dream machine soda can does.

Back