ATT Wireless RMA question

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone here work for / dealt with ATT Wireless' Warranty RMA service? I have a Samsung Blackjack II that got a *tiny* bit of water spilled on it. It has thoroughly dried and completely works save for one thing. When the screen should go black for powersave, it instead fades to a bright white screen instead of a black one. Basically it seems like the backlight never shuts off when the phone is on. Calls and everything else still work perfectly. Called up ATT and played dumb describing the problem just as it was but saying I had no idea how it had happened. In walking me through a few things, they had me check a little square under the battery compartment, which they called the water contact indicator or something. They said that it would turn pink if it came in contact with water / got water damaged (which would invalidate the warranty), and mine is still clearly white. They said thaat they'd do an RMA for it and would send me out a new phone, but in their disclaimer said that it it turned out to be water damage that I would get dinged for $279 or so for the cost of the new phone. My question is, if anyone has had experience with a situation similar to this, how thorough are they in their evaluation of what the damage is and do you guys think that it is worth the risk of the charge (unlessI can get them to just send me back my original phone in that instaance instead of getting the fine), to get the replacement phone for free vs. finding some cell phone repair place online that will fix it for me for $40 - $50 or whatever? Thanks!

wouldn't it be possible to take it to a B&M store and see what the talking heads there tell you first?

hmm... I don't have experience w/ your EXACT type of situation but I just RMA'd my second Centro for my wife. if water spilled on it but did not contact the water sensor, then you should be fine. They're looking out for those who submerge their phones i.e. dropping them in the the toilet.

as unlikely as that may sound, I know FOUR PEOPLE who've done it lol. pulling their pants up or playing games or whatever... PLOP goes the cellphone...

Anyways, we opted for the insurance plan and have dealt with their warranty people (third party) twice now. They definitely ask you a lot of questions but overall, the experience was great considering the circumstances. They have occassional phone surveys to assure top-notch service and like I said, no complaints so far. Praises mostly. Our phones came within two days of reporting. They ship them out to you pronto.

I did have to pay for a co-pay my first time of $50. Depending on your phone, that co-pay may rise.

Important to consider - AFTER THE 3RD OF NOVEMBER, deductibles will go up for some phones...

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/wireless-phone-insurance-deductible-schedule.pdf

so that may help in your decision.

*edit - just saw that the BJ II will NOT be subject to a higher deductible.

Back