ATT U-verse guy showed up

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
ATT uverse

With a 6 meg connection we I'm only getting 700kbs average in steam peaks at like 1.2 but it's rare....both wired and wireless

from 156k though thank god we didn't get the bigger package I haven't tested the connection on any other site though.

Had to drill a hole in the wall myself with a 1/2 inch drill bit to get the cable though the way.

The kid setup the router and modem in a different room too.

One of the laptops he set up doesn't work now. Not sure if I should do a fresh install of windows 7 on it cause it's vista and has lots of bugs.

Would different cables make a difference I have Belkin cables.....right now he did some work outside not sure what he all did.

what is your measured performance when wired directly to the modem?

it was like 5.6 megs or something not sure how to check it speed test or something I haven't played around with the ATT site

all things being equal, if you're predictably getting 5.6 mbp/s of 6.0 mbp/s in that situation, the router is probably culprit.

its a battery backup yes, do you have phone service through uVerse?

If I get a headache and brain fog from this thing I'm going to be pissed.

Tons of complaints on the net about it...

Are you using a modem and a router, or the Uverse gateway by itself?

If you live in an old neighborhood with crappy phone lines your performance can also be affected

Uverse guy should run a new line from the pole to the house, if asked (he did for me..my line was 'unrated' he said)
Belkin battery unit is for if you have a phone (911, etc)
If you plan to use your own router/firewall, look into the DMZPLus mode, its easy to setup, it makes the uverse gateway run as a plain ole modem

With a 6 meg connection we I'm only getting 700kbs average in steam peaks at like 1.2 but it's rare....both wired and wireless

it was like 5.6 megs or something not sure how to check it speed test or something I haven't played around with the ATT site

The answer here is math.

You're getting 5.6 megabits/second. Steam measures download speed in terms of bytes, not bits. There are 8 bits in a byte, so 5.6 megabits per second / 8 bits per byte = 0.7 megabytes per second, so 700 kB/s makes complete sense.

The answer here is math.

You're getting 5.6 megabits/second. Steam measures download speed in terms of bytes, not bits. There are 8 bits in a byte, so 5.6 megabits per second / 8 bits per byte = 0.7 megabytes per second, so 700 kB/s makes complete sense.

This. Lots of "problems" can be fixed by doing the correct conversions and knowing something about networking.

The answer here is math.

lol.

Math.

The answer here is math.

Yeah, with all the nonsense like "kbs", "kbp/s", "megs" or leaving out the units entirely, it's really hard to figure out what people actually mean and whether they even know what they mean.

Just to be clear on one thing, though: signal speeds in bits per second are and always have been in base-10. This stems from the relation to signal bandwidths which are also base-10 and measured in Hz, kHz etc. So 5.6Mbps is really 5600000 bits per second, which is "0.667572021484375 MB/s". Yeah, rounding gets you to 0.7 MB/s as well, I just wanted to make the distinction clear.

My habit is to denote signal speeds in bits per second as "bps", i.e. kbps, Mbps, Gbps. The small k denotes base-10. Data transfer speeds would then be B/s, KB/s, MB/s. Note the upper-case K meaning base-2, i.e. 1 KB/s = 1024 B/s. This is what computers show you in applications and hence is in base-2. If you are into SI nonsense, those would be called KiB/s, MiB/s.

Summary: Mind your damn units, and case matters.

Last edited:
With regards to hard drives that is correct, but I'm not too sure that is the same with Internet speeds. Hard drive manufacturers sell something as 1GB (or 1 billion bytes) when in reality 1 billion bytes does not equal a base 2 gigabyte. Compared to RAM which actually denotes the base 2 system where every 1KB of RAM is equal to 1024 bytes.

If an ISP sells you 1Mbps (1,000,000 bits per second) they are literally telling you they are selling you bits not bytes like hard drives. Hence dividing the bits advertised by the bytes (8) gives you the actual theoretical bandwidth. However, if the operating system recognizes transfer speeds using base 10 unlike storage which is seen using base 2, then I can see the discrepancy. I do know Microsoft was actually right the way they used base 2 showing you the actual storage (unlike Mac OSX which shows 1,000,000,000,000 bytes as 1TB) and it would seem odd if they backtracked when it came to transfer speeds by using base 10.

Maybe someone else can clarify or add there input.

AT&T U-Verse IPDSL 6Mbps service (service with modem NVG510 or 2210) MAX Sync rate is 6048Kbps. That will give you a maximum of 756KB/s download rate. Typically you will see about 720KB/s.

If your modem is syncing at 5800Kbps then you are on an interleaved profile because of your distance from the DSLAM and you will see about 690KB/s download rate. Your sync rate can be checked at "http://192.168.1.254" by looking through the connection diagnostics.

The U-Verse VDSL product (3800, 3801, 3600, 5031NV & NVG589 modems) is a different animal. The modem sync rate and your "internet speed" are not directly related. On VDSL your internet speed is as follows: 3Mbps = 3000Kbps, 6mbps = 6000Kbps and so on. Your modem sync rate will either be 13.5mbps/1.5mbps, 19mbps/2mbps, 25mbps/2mbps, 32mbps/5mbps or 55mbps/6mbps.

If you are running a speed test and getting 700KB/sec there is nothing wrong with your service.

Last edited:
doh(1).jpg

5.6 / 8 = 0.7 MB/s

0.7 x 1024 = 716.8 KB/s

lol I think you had it right the first time, just took it too far by dividing by 1024 then by 1024 again.

i.e. 5,600,000 million bytes will ALWAYS be 700,000 thousand bytes (as 8 bits equal 1 byte). If you convert that to KiloBytes proper in binary terms you'd divide that by 1024 and get 683KBps from original rate of bytes to kilobytes as we call them by 1024 instead of 1,000.

In the end this is why we just say divide by 8 lol. It's close enough that it avoids all this confusion.

lol yup and I agree. Shit gets more confusing than it needs to be.

Thanks a lot binary. :p

So it's normal I should of asked before he left but he was setting up my parents laptops while I was messing around with steam's download rate.

Windows Speed: (Base 2)

5.6 / 8 * 1024 = 716.8 KB/s

Max theoretical: 6 / 8 * 1024 = 768 KB/s. Give or take 10% for overhead and you have roughly 700 KB/s.

In other words, you are seeing your correct speeds.

Network Speed: (Base 10)

5600000 / 8 / 1024 = 683.6 KB/s.

Clear as mud? :p

Last edited:
Windows Speed: (Base 2)

5.6 / 8 * 1024 = 716.8 KB/s

Max theoretical: 6 / 8 * 1024 = 768 KB/s. Give or take 10% for overhead and you have roughly 700 KB/s.

In other words, you are seeing your correct speeds.

Network Speed: (Base 10)

5600000 / 8 / 1024 = 683.6 KB/s.

Clear as mud? :p

The last one is correct, the first two aren't.

6 Mbps = 6000000 / 8 / 1024 = 732.42 KB/s.
5.6 Mbps = 5600000 / 8 / 1024 = 683.59 KB/s.

How are you getting two different results for 5.6 Mbps?

Edit: I'm not addressing anyone directly, but it's quite shocking how many people are handling professional equipment and what not and don't even grasp the basics in networking.

Last edited:
Technically it'd be 700 KB/s and 683.6 KiB/s.

If I understand this correctly.

There's a reason people don't understand this; they aren't using the correct units. No one ever taught me the actual difference between Mebi and Mega before.

It'd be nice if everyone used the appropriate standards.

Everyone using computers for more than 10 years will acknowledge that 1 KB/s is 1024 bytes per second. KiB is bullshit if you ask me. When I write KB, MB and GB, it's 1024, 1048576 and 1073741824 bytes. Nothing else makes sense with computers. It's sad the HDD makers got through with their fraud.

Still doesn't change the fact that signal transmission is frequency-based and those have always been base-10, before any HDD bullshit and when everyone knew computers operated in base-2.

True.

So simply dividing 5.6 Mbps by 8 to get 0.7 MB/s *IS* technically correct, most people would see 0.67 MB/s (Actually MiB/s) as being correct.

In other words, OP is getting his full speed :p haha.

If you make the distinction between MB/s and MiB/s, then yes, it would be correct. It's just that noone ever anywhere uses this definition of MB/s.

If you make the distinction between MB/s and MiB/s, then yes, it would be correct. It's just that noone ever anywhere uses this definition of MB/s.

So would the download rate in Windows vs OSX (since they use different bases to show storage) vary? In this case the same 5.6 Mb/s would show as 0.7 MB/s in OSX and 0.67 MB/s in Windows or do they both use base 10 when showing network speeds?

Windows shows KB, MB, GB but means KiB, MiB, GiB. They just haven't transitioned yet. Just look at the properties of a drive in Windows: 736,910,958,592 bytes in use = 686 GB. That's what's literally on my screen right now.

I have never ever seen a program show MB/s to mean 1000000 bytes/s.

Edit: This thread is proof to me that SI units caused more confusion than they ever solved. Simply redefining MB to no longer mean base-2 but base-10 instead was the greatest fuckup anyone could do.

Last edited:
Back