ATT Severely Cuts Prices for non-contract family plans

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25237&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37411&mapcode=consumer|wireless

As a customer on Verizon with 9 lines, this is very tempting. My potential savings per year could be up to $2600 if I went out and bought everyone Nexus 5's

The savings come from the fact that the subsidy for your phone is no longer included in the monthly price, so people who pay for phones now enjoy the monthly discount they always got with T-Mobile.

I really hope Verizon follows or I may be jumping ship.

it's about dam time but they need to apply it to their jump (or whatever they call it) program...

Everyone I knew with a Verizon Family plan has cut their monthly overhead.
Depends on your area, but Tmobile and Att have been popular in SF.
In LA metropcs is actually good, so I've seen a lot of people switch.

Well Thankyou tmo, but now I have no real good reason to switch anymore.

Is it $2600 not including buying the nexus 5's? Also some of your verizon phones may work on AT&T out the box.

Is it $2600 not including buying the nexus 5's? Also some of your verizon phones may work on AT&T out the box.
Not including - I haven't calculated exact costs yet. Waiting to see if there's a VZW response. I think ATT is running a promo now that would offer me $900 just to switch.

There's also the issue if I can actually get ATT service by my house.

It's funny because if AT&T and VZW hadn't been complete douches or provided decent service, we would still be with them... if they only expended as many resources on retaining customers as they do on recruiting them things would probably be different...

for us the motivating factors to switch-

Sprint (service degraded) -> AT&T (service degraded) -> VZW (insane prices + change to 24mo upgrade cycle) -> TMo (currently degrading service... motivation to switch rising...)

For whatever reason our city is just the perfect size that a change in wireless subscriptions can really slow things down, but we're not large enough such that each tower is provisioned with enough backhaul to support the population (we're also last on the 3G/4G/LTE upgrades)... TMo must have picked up a bunch of subscribers over the past few months here since things have slowed down from 700kbps to about 200kbps with parts of the city being completely unusable. AT&T slowed down from ~1Mbps to ~300kpbs, and for the price there wasn't any excuse for poor service.

For whatever reason our city is just the perfect size that a change in wireless subscriptions can really slow things down, but we're not large enough such that each tower is provisioned with enough backhaul to support the population (we're also last on the 3G/4G/LTE upgrades)... TMo must have picked up a bunch of subscribers over the past few months here since things have slowed down from 700kbps to about 200kbps with parts of the city being completely unusable. AT&T slowed down from ~1Mbps to ~300kpbs, and for the price there wasn't any excuse for poor service.

What city are you living in?? Only 3G/Edge is your area?

Im getting 25-30MBit constantly on Tmobile LTE in Houston and it will be even higher once they add in the new LTE upgrades.

What city are you living in?? Only 3G/Edge is your area?

Im getting 25-30MBit constantly on Tmobile LTE in Houston and it will be even higher once they add in the new LTE upgrades.

Well you're pretty lucky in Houston. Up the road here in Dallas it's not so great. I'm lucky to even get data in some places up here using TMo - straight up in the city most times too.

Well you're pretty lucky in Houston. Up the road here in Dallas it's not so great. I'm lucky to even get data in some places up here using TMo - straight up in the city most times too.

Its possible your in a very dense area and the tower is getting overloaded. Dallas should have decent speeds as they have the latest LTE upgrade tmobile is rolling out.

I live in North Houston and im getting 25-30 on LTE but in the city where i work its around 8mb on LTE

Its possible your in a very dense area and the tower is getting overloaded. Dallas should have decent speeds as they have the latest LTE upgrade tmobile is rolling out.

I live in North Houston and im getting 25-30 on LTE but in the city where i work its around 8mb on LTE

I think TMo concentrated most of their LTE rollout up towards Collin Co. (Plano, McKinney Allan) and over towards Southlake....you know....the places with the money. Next to the airport, where I work, there is no data most of the time and TMo even conceded after several tech calls, the towers right next to the airport up here are 2G towers. Can you you believe that? 2G towers next to the 6 busiest airport in the world. TMo is full of a bunch of idiots.

I think TMo concentrated most of their LTE rollout up towards Collin Co. (Plano, McKinney Allan) and over towards Southlake....you know....the places with the money. Next to the airport, where I work, there is no data most of the time and TMo even conceded after several tech calls, the towers right next to the airport up here are 2G towers. Can you you believe that? 2G towers next to the 6 busiest airport in the world. TMo is full of a bunch of idiots.
Wouldn't call them idiots - their parent company just refuses to invest in them and thus have been sorely lacking in network upgrades. They've been trying to dump T-Mo for years.

Well I just signed up and if it works out like I think with my union discount I should be just over $100 total with 2 lines. AND I increased my data by 4gb total. :D

I just switched as well. 5 phones moved to 10GB Value plan for $100 - 17% FAN discount + 5 phones at $15/mo each = $83 + $75 = $158/mo. (tax, fees, not included)

3 are smartphones and 2 are dumbphones.

2 of the smartphones are still under subsidized contract, but showed as $15/mo when I switched as both were under contract before 2/2/2014 which was the cutoff.

Previously my bill was $200 (tax, fees, not included)

Down the road, if I need to upgrade a phone and want to maintain $15/mo. I would have to:

1. BYOD
2. AT&T NEXT

If I want to subsidize a phone with a 2-year agreement then I could still do that but the monthly charge goes up to $40/mo for that phone but would be a better option than NEXT as NEXT is $15/mo + the NEXT subsidy (5S is $32.50/mo. and up and S4 is $32/mo. and up depending on storage size).

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25237&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37411&mapcode=consumer|wireless

As a customer on Verizon with 9 lines, this is very tempting. My potential savings per year could be up to $2600 if I went out and bought everyone Nexus 5's

The savings come from the fact that the subsidy for your phone is no longer included in the monthly price, so people who pay for phones now enjoy the monthly discount they always got with T-Mobile.

I really hope Verizon follows or I may be jumping ship.

I have been waiting for something like this to happen for a long long time.

I certainly hope Verizon follows suit. I'd ditch my 2 year contract in a second, and move to the no-handset-discount cheaper monthly price model in a heartbeat (as long as the cheaper monthly price actually reflected the full handset discount)

Getting closer and closer to the day when Cellphone providers will be device agnostic ISP's that just provide a dumb network :)

Sprint (service degraded) -> AT&T (service degraded) -> VZW (insane prices + change to 24mo upgrade cycle) -> TMo (currently degrading service... motivation to switch rising...)

I hear you, all the cellphone companies are total douches.

I was a little bit incensed when Verizon switched the upgrade period mid contract. I can understand switching it upon next renewal, but mid contract was awfully sketchy.

That being said, what am I going to do? No provider but VZW has good enough coverage for me. Sure in certain local markets AT&T and T-Mobile can be decent, but if you ever leave your metro area, you need VZW... They are the only company that has decent coverage everywhere.

If Verizon does something like this I'll switch from t mobile in a heartbeat

If Verizon does something like this I'll switch from t mobile in a heartbeat

The way things are going recently, you can expect VZW to offer something similar in the not-too-distant future. They pretty much have to based on the fact that their service for 4 phones apparently costs $100/mo more than what ATT is now offering.

The way things are going recently, you can expect VZW to offer something similar in the not-too-distant future. They pretty much have to based on the fact that their service for 4 phones apparently costs $100/mo more than what ATT is now offering.

I think ATT is pretty stupid to not advertise this rabidly all over the place, especially prior to the change.

Back