Atrix pricing released by AT&T.... Someone's trying to make $$$

radeon962

[H]ard|Gawd
Who is still planning on getting the Atrix plus laptop dock at this price?

I still plan on getting the Atrix, but at $300 + Data Pro + Tethering or $500 for the laptock dock separately, I'll be skipping that.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/motorolas-atrix-4g-coming-to-atandt-on-march-6th-for-200-bundle/

Don't ever say Ma Bell lacks cahones. On the same day that existing Verizon customers began pre-ordering the CDMA'd iPhone 4, AT&T has come clean with what's next on America's largest GSM network. While announced at CES 2011, pricing and release information had eluded the luscious Atrix 4G... until now, that is. AT&T will begin pre-sales for the Froyo-powered Motorola Atrix 4G Android superphone on February 13th, with the standard $199.99 + two-year contract ($50 more than we were led to believe, mind you) getting one into your grubby mitts. We're told to expect general availability on March 6th "or earlier," putting it just about in line with the date we'd heard rumored. Moreover, those looking to buy will should have a difficult time laying off of the Laptop Dock bundle, which nets you an Atrix 4G as well as a $499.99 dock for the grand total of $499.99 on contract. You heard right -- those who opt to buy the dock at a later time will be asked to shell out five Benjamins, whereas that same tally on day one will also include the phone. It should be noted, however, that the bundle only applies if you also sign your name to a Data Pro plan and tethering add-on, so be sure you're down for that monthly hit before committing in haste. Oh, and just in case you simply can't stop spending, the carrier is also offering an Entertainment Access Kit for Atrix 4G customers which includes the Motorola HD Multimedia Dock, a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a remote control for $189.99.

Why sign up for tethering if you run your pc apps from the phone (with the laptop dock)? Or does that require tethering.... Either way, a ridiculous price for an accessory.

I said it on other forums and I'll say it on this one: Its not tethering! The notebook is just a screen and a keyboard! All of the processing still happens on the phone! For 500 bucks you can buy a nice i5 netbook that runs windows.

and $199 + contract for the phone to create a mobile hotspot.

might as well spend $499 for the bundled phone & laptop dock + contract and get a free Atrix out if that.

Otherwise if you get the phone at $199 and then later on want the dock now you've spent $600...
coulda saved $200 right off the bat.

I dont want the dock, and am using an OLD BlackBerry Pearl. I will still be shelling out $199+2 Years to renew. Hoping Costco or somewhere else has it for $150. I am kind of bummed at the March 6th release :(

do they require any extra fees or plans beyond data plan if you're just planning on getting the $199 phone + 2 year contract?

do they require any extra fees or plans beyond data plan if you're just planning on getting the $199 phone + 2 year contract?
The full press release (Engadget cut part of it) implies that you need to shell out for tethering even if you use Firefox on the multimedia dock. It's completely ludicrous, and took the Atrix 4G from being at the top of my list to somewhere in the middle.

The full press release (Engadget cut part of it) implies that you need to shell out for tethering even if you use Firefox on the multimedia dock. It's completely ludicrous, and took the Atrix 4G from being at the top of my list to somewhere in the middle.

right - but if you're not planning on getting the dock, you don't have to sign up for the tethering, correct?

the laptop dock will become another FAIL as we have seen with the galaxy tab. Come get real who wants to carry a laptop dock when you can carry the real thing?

This proprietary build won't succeed. Really, why do you need such dock?! It is better to have notebook or regular computer at home and sync data between your mobile. It is fast when properly setup!

The PHONE looks solid and seems a fine deal for 199 on contract (269 for me, screw 2 year contracts yuck). The accessories are the bad part.

I'm fairly certain the laptop dock will be availble in a bundle with the phone for $400 with the tethering bundle, just not directly from AT&T. Other outlets will be offering this bundle. So basically a $300 discount for buying the dock with plan.

Not a great deal, but if you are also considering using the phone with hotspot / laptop tether capability anyways, you would need that bundle and not get any discounted hardware with it. So, only a semi-decent deal for people who want this phone AND need a tethering plan. Overall, AT&T knows that they only have a certain number of launch devices, and there is a tremendous first day impulse to buy the fastest US phone available (with Android to boot) and the laptop dock makes for good demos / videos. We'll have to see what the reviews say after people have lived with it for a couple of weeks. Can't say I'm not tempted by the phone itself, I bet laptop docks will be listed used on ebay for under half the price it was new within a couple of months for people who are disappointed that it's not a real laptop.

My local At&t store is advertising the Atrix as being out tomorrow. Big sign right by the road says February 13th. Reports around the internet however are saying that pre-orders begin the 13th with release around the 6th.

Last edited:
I can't imagine these being sold out for any significant amount of time... It's not an apple product, so most folks will probably just see it as "just another smart phone."

I'll likely wait until it's in bestbuy or my local AT&T store to play around with it a bit before I get it. My iPhone 3G is getting a bit long in tooth though... It takes on average 3 seconds to start the Messaging (SMS) app now, and nearly everything else on the phone is s.... l.... o.... (crash)

Back